Search

Carry - On

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Carry - On

Yesterday. WS 3405 Encore.

The plane is loaded and - as far as every one can tell - ready to go. Then it happens. Passenger approaches the plane (I can see her walking from the terminal building) with just a TON of stuff. I'm on the plane, she's at least 50 metres way and I can see that her rollaboard is never going to fit in the overhead bin. She also has three or four other packages/bags and 2 coats over her arm (it's 25˚C and very humid) and a bunch of other "stuff" I've lost track of.

So she somehow manages to get all this stuff through the door and attempts to wedge the roll aboard into an overhead bin and Hey Presto!...it doesn't fit. Not even close. The FA then has to wrestled the semi-wedged bag out of the overhead and take it off the plane so it could go with all the other bags that size that the rest of us had checked in. The other bags and 2 jackets, book the size of War and Peace and old style telephone handset that she plugged into her iPhone (I'm not making this up) all get dumped into empty seats 2 A&B because the guy in 3B realizes it's not going to be any fun for anyone if she sits in her assigned seat 3A so he pointed her to the empty 2 seats in front of him.

Of course all this took time.

So my question to Westjet is....... why does no-one enforce rules for carry on?

Several employees must have seen this passenger with all her bags and packages and said nothing. Even the FA saw the vastly oversized roll aboard as it wheeled by her and let is slide. Announcements are made at the gate and these are quite clear but there seems to be little or no enforcement.

This was a wrinkle in an otherwise quite enjoyable trip across the country....but I did need this rant.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:08 pm

Ugh, this happens almost on a daily basis. Not sure why it keeps happening. Perhaps it's a manpower thing, or a confrontation avoidance issue? Trust me when I say that crews are getting quite fed up with this happening and something is going to have to be done sooner rather than later to get this under control. From a frequent traveller point of view, what do you (and any other traveller on this thread) think should be done to nip this in the bud and prevent it from happening? Perhaps Darren @ WS, who monitors this thread, can take suggestions back to the company.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YYCguy
Ugh, this happens almost on a daily basis. Not sure why it keeps happening. Perhaps it's a manpower thing, or a confrontation avoidance issue? Trust me when I say that crews are getting quite fed up with this happening and something is going to have to be done sooner rather than later to get this under control. From a frequent traveller point of view, what do you (and any other traveller on this thread) think should be done to nip this in the bud and prevent it from happening? Perhaps Darren @ WS, who monitors this thread, can take suggestions back to the company.
I would LOVE to see an FA count along - Count von Count style - with the passenger just to point out to them just how many "personal items" they have. Ideally, this should be done over the PA with the offending passenger standing at the front of the aircraft for everyone else to see.

Darren....any other suggestions?

Last edited by Frequentlander; Aug 30, 2015 at 9:09 pm Reason: Typos...
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Originally Posted by YYCguy
It's one of my pet peeves too. As someone who tends to follow rules and instructions it's frustrating to see someone walk on board with multiple items with no regard to anyone around them. It's probably a mix of manpower and the confrontation issue. So many people do it that you can't catch them all and without a firm procedure I don't see too many agents walking up to someone asking 'are you going to check all that?'. Ok, the agent isn't going to say it that way but I bet they would want to!

It's too late at the gate unless you get people to check their carry-on bags. Unfortunately the ones who flaunt the rules will most likely ignore any gentle requests and will continue on. The rules should be pointed out at check-in rather than at the gate and agents could encourage people to shuffle some things into their checked-bags...if possible. I've experienced some friendly but cheeky Westjet agents so maybe doing in a way that's fun but obvious to offending parties could work. Outside of that I would suggest some sort of monetary penalty....but good luck with that!
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
A few years ago I had a very similar experience to the OP. All ready to go, then here comes this woman with an enormous bag, huge coat, purse big enough to carry a pony and all sorts of other assorted stuff. Everyone on the plane is looking at this as she pinballs her way down the aisle, wondering exactly where she plans to put all this stuff. It's a full flight, and most of the overhead bins have already been closed for takeoff.

She opens a couple of bins, sees they're all full, so proceeds to pull two or three bags out and place her stuff in. Then she just sits down, leaving the other bags sitting in the aisle. I couldn't believe it.

The FAs intervened immediately, thankfully before any of the other passengers got up. They quite rightly removed the woman's baggage to be checked and replaced the bags that were originally in the bins ... but I have to wonder how on earth she even got down the jetway to begin with?

The woman was jawing and complaining through the rest of the flight, griping about the horrible service and how she would be calling customer service to have the FAs fired.

Seriously ... that crew should have won an award for maintaining grace under pressure. Never seen anything like it before, or since.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by radnub
It's one of my pet peeves too. As someone who tends to follow rules and instructions it's frustrating to see someone walk on board with multiple items with no regard to anyone around them. It's probably a mix of manpower and the confrontation issue. So many people do it that you can't catch them all and without a firm procedure I don't see too many agents walking up to someone asking 'are you going to check all that?'. Ok, the agent isn't going to say it that way but I bet they would want to!

It's too late at the gate unless you get people to check their carry-on bags. Unfortunately the ones who flaunt the rules will most likely ignore any gentle requests and will continue on. The rules should be pointed out at check-in rather than at the gate and agents could encourage people to shuffle some things into their checked-bags...if possible. I've experienced some friendly but cheeky Westjet agents so maybe doing in a way that's fun but obvious to offending parties could work. Outside of that I would suggest some sort of monetary penalty....but good luck with that!
With online checkin a lot of times the check in agent never sees the person. If they want to nab them before they get to the gate then it should be enforced at security.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ace Cdn
With online checkin a lot of times the check in agent never sees the person. If they want to nab them before they get to the gate then it should be enforced at security.
But the gate agents see EVERYBODY. In my opinion, the best way to enforce carry-on rules is at the gate. In the case in post #1, the passenger did have carry on only but MUST have showed her BP and picture ID to a Westjet employee at the gate......while carrying all her worldly possessions with her.

While we were at the gate area, there was the usual statement made over the PA regarding carry on but it appears there was no follow-up enforcement.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:33 pm

The only airline I know that enforces carry-on at the gate well is Ryanair. They arrange everyone inside a bull-pen before the gate to the aircraft is open, then an agent walks through the bullpen with a plastic box with a handle on it that must fit over your allowed carry-on, they also check and mark your boarding pass. Once they reach the end of the bull-pen, the flight is closed off and the gate to the aircraft is opened. A structured approach with no leniency, but very effective.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aerobod
The only airline I know that enforces carry-on at the gate well is Ryanair. They arrange everyone inside a bull-pen before the gate to the aircraft is open, then an agent walks through the bullpen with a plastic box with a handle on it that must fit over your allowed carry-on, they also check and mark your boarding pass. Once they reach the end of the bull-pen, the flight is closed off and the gate to the aircraft is opened. A structured approach with no leniency, but very effective.
That would no doubt work but I don't think WS needs to go that far. Maybe something like ......

"Sir/Madam, you are allowed I piece and a personal item. You have six pieces and your rollaboard is oversized. How would you like to deal with that before you board?"

......would work with the majority of those "unintentional" offenders.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 1:14 pm
Company Representative: WestJet

Programs: WestJet Rewards
Having been a gate agent for four years, I can speak to this one from personal experience.

Now, remember with web check-in many guests don't see a WestJet agent until they arrive at the gate. And thanks to family and friends hiding in Tim Horton's with excess carry-on baggage, this may not be apparent at check-in. In either case, it's up to the gate agent to monitor.

Our team does its best to keep an eye out for this, and are pretty good at spotting anyone with excess carry-on baggage but some do occasional slip past the agent. This is usually because the agent has but a few moments with each guest at the desk, who is standing behind another guest right up until it's that guest's turn at the counter.

We know it's frustrating for everyone when this does happen. Do know our people are doing their best to ensure flying is fair for everyone.

Cheers,
Darren
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Wink

Originally Posted by WestJet
Having been a gate agent for four years, I can speak to this one from personal experience.

Now, remember with web check-in many guests don't see a WestJet agent until they arrive at the gate. And thanks to family and friends hiding in Tim Horton's with excess carry-on baggage, this may not be apparent at check-in. In either case, it's up to the gate agent to monitor.

Our team does its best to keep an eye out for this, and are pretty good at spotting anyone with excess carry-on baggage but some do occasional slip past the agent. This is usually because the agent has but a few moments with each guest at the desk, who is standing behind another guest right up until it's that guest's turn at the counter.

We know it's frustrating for everyone when this does happen. Do know our people are doing their best to ensure flying is fair for everyone.

Cheers,
Darren
Thanks for the reply. I have 2 more cross country trips coming up in the next few weeks and I'm going to test the system. How much "stuff" can I bring on the plane without it getting the attention of WS employees.

I'll report back later.

Last edited by Frequentlander; Sep 4, 2015 at 8:19 pm Reason: Typos
Old Sep 11, 2015, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Carry-on Champion!

September 9th WS 700.

There was a nice clear announcement at the gate to announce the limits for carry-on and then a second announcement saying that anyone who could check “larger” carryon items at the gate for free as it was a full flight. Some people did this. Fair enough.

I was sitting towards the front of the plane and was one of the first to board so I got a ringside seat as the other passengers boarded and passed down the aisle. So to pass the time until take off I decided to score the passengers on how much stuff they were carrying on. There were 23 people in the “slightly over” category and 4 in the “Seriously?” but the hands down winner was the person who brought along:

• Rollaboard which was waaaay over the size limit AND was very much overstuffed.
• Big overstuffed backpack that was very obviously over the size limit.
• A “purse” that was big enough to transport a small child. Again it was very full - maybe with a child…I don’t know.
• And finally…… A PAIR OF ROLLERBALDES!!!

I had considered testing the system by bringing on too much stuff myself and seeing what the reaction was but its quite obvious that I’m not even going to come close to meeting the standard already set by these carry-on overachievers. I’ll just go back to carrying on my laptop bag and play the carry-on scoring game.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

WS 3491, April 27th (this past Wednesday)

Packed Q400. Lots of people with carry on only because it's a commuter flight YUL to YYZ.

There is a group of musicians (the modern kind with the avant-garde haircuts and matching clothes). There is an announcement at the gate that the flight is full. We board. I dutifully take my seat and put my small laptop bag under the seat in front of me. Then I watch the procession of people - most of which seem to be moving house.

The musicians get on. Both I and the passenger in the seat next to me burst out laughing as they struggle to manage their guitars and cymbals (not making this up) down the aisle of the Q400.

We hear much rearranging of bags and people behind us then see bags passed forward to be put into the hold. Quite comical....except all of this took time causing a delay. I had a tight connection in YYZ and every minute that it takes to fix carry-on issues is a minute less cnx time. The flight departed late.

I like Westjet in the air but the management of carry-on management really has to improve. It really is OK to inform passengers that they can't take everything in the cabin. As it stands now I think it would be possible to get on the plane with a full hockey bag and a tuba.
Old May 1, 2016, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by Frequentlander
WS 3491, April 27th (this past Wednesday)

Packed Q400. Lots of people with carry on only because it's a commuter flight YUL to YYZ.

There is a group of musicians (the modern kind with the avant-garde haircuts and matching clothes). There is an announcement at the gate that the flight is full. We board. I dutifully take my seat and put my small laptop bag under the seat in front of me. Then I watch the procession of people - most of which seem to be moving house.

The musicians get on. Both I and the passenger in the seat next to me burst out laughing as they struggle to manage their guitars and cymbals (not making this up) down the aisle of the Q400.

We hear much rearranging of bags and people behind us then see bags passed forward to be put into the hold. Quite comical....except all of this took time causing a delay. I had a tight connection in YYZ and every minute that it takes to fix carry-on issues is a minute less cnx time. The flight departed late.

I like Westjet in the air but the management of carry-on management really has to improve. It really is OK to inform passengers that they can't take everything in the cabin. As it stands now I think it would be possible to get on the plane with a full hockey bag and a tuba.
There are carry-on process tests going on at the moment, a successful outcome would be more predictable carry-on rule enforcement. Personally, I think Ryanair has the most predictable carry-on processes with their roving sizing device.
Old May 1, 2016, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aerobod
a successful outcome would be more predictable carry-on rule enforcement. .
That's all that's needed. People need to know that there actually are some rules and there is a reasonable chance of them being enforced. I think that would improve the situation immensely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.