Carry - On

Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Some of the worst offenders IME are crew. I don’t ever take more than my allowance, but I would be *really* POed if they enforced against me while letting the crew fill up half the bins and closets. Charity begins at home.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Nothing, AC Something, AS Gold. Too big for 737Max washrooms
Originally Posted by Sopwith
Some of the worst offenders IME are crew. I don’t ever take more than my allowance, but I would be *really* POed if they enforced against me while letting the crew fill up half the bins and closets. Charity begins at home.
On the next flight (737-700) There was a Pacific Coastal pilot deadheading in the seat in front of me:
  • Roll-aboard
  • Another roll-aboard
  • Big Insulated lunch bag
  • Guitar in a soft case
Old Dec 13, 2018, 5:02 pm

Where are operating crew supposed to put their luggage? There’s designated spots on the aircraft for them to place it, but are allowed their suitcase, flight bag, and lunch bag as carry on because they’re carrying their refrigerator, their office, and their clothing for sometimes 6 days at a time!
cirrusdragoon likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
This makes me feel ridiculous having been worried I would be hassled about my backpack as personal item that I had stuffed full of towels to protect my camera such that it was a tight fit in the sizer.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
There really should be some place for crew to stow their bags instead of the overheads meant for passengers. Four flight attendants, each with three or four bags apiece, fills a couple of rows worth of bin space in no time flat. So where the hell do I put my bag?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
I’ve always wondered - when bins are so jam-packed these days (leading to frustrated customers and occasional flight delays) - why don’t airlines have their crews gate check their carry-on bags? The crew is always last off the plane anyway...
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:08 am

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
I’ve always wondered - when bins are so jam-packed these days (leading to frustrated customers and occasional flight delays) - why don’t airlines have their crews gate check their carry-on bags? The crew is always last off the plane anyway...
Excellent suggestion!
You see that on the long haul airlines (Cathay, Lufthansa etc) where the crews get their "suit cases" from the baggage hold after everyone has deplaned. You'll see the parade of 15-20 flight crew in the terminal all towing their large suit cases marked CREW, there is no-way these are placed in the cabin.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by james dean
Excellent suggestion!
You see that on the long haul airlines (Cathay, Lufthansa etc) where the crews get their "suit cases" from the baggage hold after everyone has deplaned. You'll see the parade of 15-20 flight crew in the terminal all towing their large suit cases marked CREW, there is no-way these are placed in the cabin.
What about the crew who has a multi leg day, eg: YYC YVR YYC YEG? So they have to pick up their bags in each destination and re check them? Makes no sense!
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YYCguy

What about the crew who has a multi leg day, eg: YYC YVR YYC YEG? So they have to pick up their bags in each destination and re check them? Makes no sense!
I agree. The real problem is passengers schelpping all their worldly goods with them with blatant disregard for the rules.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
Tell WJ to bring back free check luggage. Problem solved.
smallmj likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: Air France Flying Blue, Altitude SE-100k, AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, WS rewards, BonVoy Titan
Originally Posted by YYCguy

Agreed that wasn't the best example for domestic flying (multi-leg), but I was thinking more along the lines of gate check the crew bags in the jetway like they do with pax (guests) excess baggage that cannot be carried in the cabin. It's right there when the pax (guests) are all gone and the crew leaves the aircraft.
I think the Jazz crews already do this on the small CRJ, seems it works quite well...
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:14 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by james dean
Agreed that wasn't the best example for domestic flying (multi-leg), but I was thinking more along the lines of gate check the crew bags in the jetway like they do with pax (guests) excess baggage that cannot be carried in the cabin. It's right there when the pax (guests) are all gone and the crew leaves the aircraft.
I think the Jazz crews already do this on the small CRJ, seems it works quite well...
That’s exactly what I meant — gate-check them at the jetway (and whatever the Q400 equivalent is for Encore flights). If a crew is doing YYC YVR YYC YEG, the crew bags could come off each time ... but if the crew doesn’t pick them up from the jetway, the bags are left sitting at the gate (ie where the gate check bags go) so they just get reloaded at each stop.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerJ

That’s exactly what I meant — gate-check them at the jetway (and whatever the Q400 equivalent is for Encore flights). If a crew is doing YYC YVR YYC YEG, the crew bags could come off each time ... but if the crew doesn’t pick them up from the jetway, the bags are left sitting at the gate (ie where the gate check bags go) so they just get reloaded at each stop.
I'm thinking flight crews are apprehensive to gate check their crew bags, why I don't know....it would free up a lot of the overhead bin space in the forward cabin for the "guests"...
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by Frequentlander
I agree. The real problem is passengers schelpping all their worldly goods with them with blatant disregard for the rules.
The real problem is passengers and crew schlepping all their worldly goods with them with blatant disregard for the rules.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

This weeks winner of the WestJet Carry-on challenge is.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.