Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

What do you do with your Air Miles Reward Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What do you do with your Air Miles Reward Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2017, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by smallmj
I'm down to 40 dream miles that I'll never use. Cash miles are much less frustrating to spend.
If one spends cash miles and then returns a purchase from previous transaction for a refund and thus a negative posting of miles, what happens then. The balance is negative until enough miles are earned to offset the negative or do I need to return cash to AirMiles?

Last edited by 1Newflyer; Sep 5, 2017 at 9:06 am Reason: more info
Old Sep 4, 2017, 5:55 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
If one spends cash miles and then returns the purchase for a refund and thus a negative posting of miles, what happens then. The balance is negative until enough miles are earned to offset the negative or do I need to return cash to AirMiles?
No idea. I generally spend my cash miles on groceries at Sobeys or Foodland so there is not much reason to return anything. The rewards chop $10 off a $50-$150 grocery bill, so even if I were to return one item, it likely wouldn't matter to with regards to Air Miles.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
I used to use these for gift cards to Sobey's, but the program has changed such that they're hardly worth collecting. Only for my electronic card on my phone I wouldn't bother any more. Last time we redeemed we used the miles for entry to Marineland and somewhere else in the Niagara region.

This thread encouraged me to look up my balance and it seems I've only collected 120 miles year to date, they've successfully pushed me away from their program in recent years. Judging by the redemptions for hotels/rental cars for my next trip, I have collected in 8 months enough miles for 1 hour in a hotel or 4 hours of car rental, plus taxes/fees. No wonder I stopped bothering long ago.

Last edited by YZF_Elite; Sep 4, 2017 at 8:11 am
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
If one spends cash miles and then returns the purchase for a refund and thus a negative posting of miles, what happens then. The balance is negative until enough miles are earned to offset the negative or do I need to return cash to AirMiles?
The store will issue you a 'refund' on a gift card. They cannot 'refund' to your Air Miles Cash account.

Ron.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
I used to use these for gift cards to Sobey's, but the program has changed such that they're hardly worth collecting. Only for my electronic card on my phone I wouldn't bother any more. Last time we redeemed we used the miles for entry to Marineland and somewhere else in the Niagara region.

This thread encouraged me to look up my balance and it seems I've only collected 120 miles year to date, they've successfully pushed me away from their program in recent years. Judging by the redemptions for hotels/rental cars for my next trip, I have collected in 8 months enough miles for 1 hour in a hotel or 4 hours of car rental, plus taxes/fees. No wonder I stopped bothering long ago.
Sobeys, etc. gift cards available here
https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/Sponso...uestid=5933012

Delivered almost instantly!

Ron.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by newfbc
The store will issue you a 'refund' on a gift card. They cannot 'refund' to your Air Miles Cash account. Ron.
"Return ", I was referring to a purchase that generated the miles prior to these miles being redeemed.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 11:47 am

"Return ", I was referring to a purchase that generated the miles prior to these miles being redeemed.
Ahh.. gotcha! I would guess your Air Miles account would go into a negative balance. No experience with this.

Ron.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 10:29 am

Now able to redeem Air Miles for all cabins of service.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 3:05 pm

This seems like a devaluation to me. Anyone else agree? I think flights within a province are more expensive now, tied completely to price of the ticket.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 11:43 am

Curious to hear from anyone who's used them for car rentals. On the site it says you have to call to book car rentals. I only have 2000 pts, probably won't get anything? I know I could call--but if someone knows, I'd appreciate the info. ('Cause TBH I probably won't bother to call!)

Thanks for reminding me I still collect AirMiles, lol. Like others, I got a good run out of them years ago, but gave up. The only reason I still carry the card is that the closest gas station has a "promo" (steadily for the past 2-3 years) of 5 cents off per litre of gas. So, it saves me a couple of bucks on every fill up, which is more than the points are getting me!
Old Nov 26, 2021, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by Euteanzoic7216
This seems like a devaluation to me. Anyone else agree? I think flights within a province are more expensive now, tied completely to price of the ticket.
Rewards Canada did a number of comparisons to the old vs new system and overall found the new system to be of better value: The new AIR MILES Flights is here! A hands on look at the value of flights in the new program (Part 2) | Rewards Canada

In all of their tests there was only one where the old system provided better value.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 2:21 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Mods: an Air Miles discussion would fit better in the broader Canada forum rather than in the WestJet forum, no?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.