Community
Wiki Posts
Search

cost for plus seats in 24 hour window

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2015, 10:43 am

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Surprising that there's so much availability in the short term, but it might be due to the Omni aircraft sub-in. Was looking at some dates for YYC-OGG in March, and Plus seems to be selling pretty briskly on the flights I was looking at.

On AC's Hawaii flights out of YYC and YVR in previous years, the J seats all tend to sell out. I've tried to do Altitude eUps (never successful) and I've waited to see if a t-24 paid upgrade would be available (never).

As far as leisure routes go, my hunch is that Hawaii is high demand for premium product. It's a looong flight.

Given the relatively low cost of WS Plus (ie when purchased at time of booking), I'd expect it to sell well. If you really want Plus, consider buying it up front. Otherwise, you might need luck on your side.

And given what a bargain Westjet's last minute upgrade is on Hawaii routes (really an incredible value for this length of flight) expect a lot of folks trying to snag cheap upgrades at exactly t-24!

Good luck!
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:15 pm

Does anyone know (or Westjet Darren, feel free to chime in!)...

1. If the flight originates in a foreign country (rather than in Canada), is the last minute Plus upgrade fee charged in the foreign currency, or are upgrades always charged in Canadian dollars?

2. Are the upgrade fees subject to GST, HST, or any other taxes? Or are the upgrade fees mentioned previously in this thread "all in"? (Does origin or destination make any difference on whether its taxed, or how much any taxes are?)

Thanks!
Old Jan 22, 2016, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
Does anyone know (or Westjet Darren, feel free to chime in!)...

1. If the flight originates in a foreign country (rather than in Canada), is the last minute Plus upgrade fee charged in the foreign currency, or are upgrades always charged in Canadian dollars?

2. Are the upgrade fees subject to GST, HST, or any other taxes? Or are the upgrade fees mentioned previously in this thread "all in"? (Does origin or destination make any difference on whether its taxed, or how much any taxes are?)

Thanks!
In my experience:

1 - the upgrade fee is charged in the foreign currency of the point of departure at an amount to make it the equivalent from the fee schedule in CAD: Eg 4 USD for a 50 CAD upgrade

2 - the upgrade fees are all inclusive
Old Jan 22, 2016, 7:30 am

Programs: WS Gold, SPG Plat, Nexus, HDC Gold, CCarlson Gold, HHonors Diamond,
I was charged only GST on my upgrade fee yesterday, originating from YYC, flying to a location with PST. As such I would say tax allocation based on departure location.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 12:38 pm

Sounds like CANUCKMMA and YYCCL3 have seen different totals -- one "all in", one with taxes added.

Darren, can you clarify?

What dictates currency and added taxes on a last minute upgrade fee (cross border or intl)?
Old Feb 5, 2016, 2:04 pm
Company Representative: WestJet

Programs: WestJet Rewards
For domestic flights, the taxes that apply are those of the flight's origin city's provincial taxes. i.e. for Alberta only the G.S.T. applies, for Nova Scotia, H.S.T. applies and in B.C., P.S.T. & G.S.T applies.

Now stick with me here:
On international flights, no tax applies.

For flights from international cities TO Canada, here's how it works:

For departures from the U.S.: Fees are based in CAD. (i.e. the $25 is CAD$25, but will be converted and collected in USD on the day's exchange rate.

For departures from international stations (excluding Europe): Fees are based in CAD, but converted to USD.

For departures from Dublin: Fees are based in EUR and collected in EUR.

For departures from the United Kingdom: Fees are based in GBP and collected in GBP.

Clear as mud?
Darren
Old Mar 22, 2016, 12:07 pm

I'm flying YYC-JFK in a couple months and have $105 in WestJet Dollars I need to spend; I don't fly WestJet a ton and most of those dollars are going to expire before I have another chance to use them. Can I use WestJet Dollars for a Plus upgrade either at or before check-in? if not, can I use them for normal seat selection or baggage fees?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 5:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by MapleLeafss
I'm flying YYC-JFK in a couple months and have $105 in WestJet Dollars I need to spend; I don't fly WestJet a ton and most of those dollars are going to expire before I have another chance to use them. Can I use WestJet Dollars for a Plus upgrade either at or before check-in? if not, can I use them for normal seat selection or baggage fees?
It wouldn't seem they may be used toward Plus upgrades but the FAQ does rule out using them toward "fees" so assume that means advance seat selction and/or baggage fees:

WestJet dollars can be used like cash to pay for all or part of a published fare of a WestJet-marketed flight or a WestJet Vacations package. WestJet dollars cannot be applied against taxes, fees or charges

http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/help...-program.shtml
Old Mar 22, 2016, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by MapleLeafss
You'll probably have to find someone else who may want to book WestJet within your time window.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: HH Silver
I accepted Plus upgrade this morning for CAD$150 one way. Seemed a good deal for YEG-OGG nonstop 7-hour flight.

Last edited by tcook052; Dec 2, 2016 at 11:27 am
Old Nov 4, 2016, 5:11 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by WestJet
$15 - 0-300 miles
$50 - 301-1000 miles
$100 - 1001-2000 miles
$120 - 2001-3000 miles
$150 - 3000+ miles
This table is out of date. According to https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel...rvice-fees#1.5, the range is now $20-$236. Does anyone have the new fee table?
Old Nov 5, 2016, 6:12 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I'm not sure the table is out of date, mahasmatman. Its consistent to what I've been seeing over the past several weeks.
Old Nov 5, 2016, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Symmetre
I'm not sure the table is out of date, mahasmatman. Its consistent to what I've been seeing over the past several weeks.
Agree, YYZ-YVR still $120 for about 2080 mile distance.
Old Nov 9, 2016, 7:43 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Symmetre
I'm not sure the table is out of date
I am. First update: YVR-YLW (179 miles) is $20, up from $15.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Not what I've been seeing ... guess I've just been lucky so far? Hey, I'll take any break I cam get!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.