Community
Wiki Posts
Search

cost for plus seats in 24 hour window

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Was being a bit sardonic about the $2.50. Have had a more positive start to my return trip...my friend I was staying with this past weekend had to fly to YVR this morning, so I came out to YEG with her and used my Gold status to move from the 4:30p flight to the 2:50p one (nothing available on the 1p). Agent was friendly and helpful yet professional. Ended up with 3D at no extra cost. Will be passing the next couple of hours in the PlazaPremium lounge. Hope inflight goes as well with a bit more decorum than the flight here.

---------

Much better, more professional cabin crew this flight. However, noticed from my two flights that one has a better crack at an empty centre seat in Plus by taking the second row on both sides. Not that this will matter after this month.

Last edited by Shareholder; Aug 5, 2015 at 9:20 am
Old Aug 4, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Last week:

YYZ-YWG $30 + tax
YWG-YYC $30 + tax
YVR-YYZ $50 + tax

No seats available on my YYC-YVR flight, so I don't know what that charge would have been.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Symmetre
Last week:

YYZ-YWG $30 + tax
YWG-YYC $30 + tax
YVR-YYZ $50 + tax

No seats available on my YYC-YVR flight, so I don't know what that charge would have been.
I wonder if these rates will increase next month when the middle seat is kept free and PLUS is upgraded further? To me the best elite benefit when flying economy, aside from the extra few inches of pitch, is having an empty seat next to me (when not traveling with a friend or colleague).
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Originally Posted by Shareholder
I wonder if these rates will increase next month when the middle seat is kept free and PLUS is upgraded further? To me the best elite benefit when flying economy, aside from the extra few inches of pitch, is having an empty seat next to me (when not traveling with a friend or colleague).
Based on this comment from earlier in the thread it appears as yes!

Originally Posted by WestJet
The fee for upgrading will be between $15 and $177.
Based on demand I bet the price will be closer to $177 than $15. It might be easier just to buy plus seats from the start.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I will wait to see what the charge will be but on a 737 its still an economy seat with extra leg room so they'd better keep that in mind.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
I will wait to see what the charge will be but on a 737 its still an economy seat with extra leg room so they'd better keep that in mind.
I really like the Plus seating, but there is absolutely no way I can justify paying twice as much over an Econo fare for what is still the same seat and the same basic service. YYZ-YVR return is generally around $725 - $750 return in Econo, or $1,350 to $1,400 in Plus. The difference is even higher on short-hauls. YYZ-YOW in Econo is generally under $300, or around $750 if you book Plus. That's almost the price of a J seat on the other airline.

The upgrade charge to sit in E+ on most US airlines is generally in the $30 - $90 range, and that's at time of booking. True, you don't get a free lunch and the middle seat won't be blocked off, but you get the point.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
I really like the Plus seating, but there is absolutely no way I can justify paying twice as much over an Econo fare for what is still the same seat and the same basic service. YYZ-YVR return is generally around $725 - $750 return in Econo, or $1,350 to $1,400 in Plus. The difference is even higher on short-hauls. YYZ-YOW in Econo is generally under $300, or around $750 if you book Plus. That's almost the price of a J seat on the other airline.

The upgrade charge to sit in E+ on most US airlines is generally in the $30 - $90 range, and that's at time of booking. True, you don't get a free lunch and the middle seat won't be blocked off, but you get the point.
Yeah. I just did a dummy booking YYC-YHZ. It's $300 more for the plus seat. A bit too steep for me!! I misspoke earlier about people just opting to buy Plus right away.

I think I'll just book an exit row seat and roll the dice at check-in.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I really like the Plus seating, but there is absolutely no way I can justify paying twice as much over an Econo fare for what is still the same seat and the same basic service.
Plus seats are the same as economy?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by tcook052
Plus seats are the same as economy?
Same physical seat but with more pitch (36" - 40" vs 31" - 32" for "regular" seats). Beginning mid-September centre seats in plus rows will be physically blocked so you will never have someone beside you. Plus seats provide free food and beverages, including alcohol, as well as priority boarding (but not before emergency row passengers, who actually board first). Although there are no limits specified on the "free" food and beverages, I suspect there are some limits placed on quantities, especially with respect to alcohol.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:01 am

I believe the Plus seats on the 767s will be different seats. Perhaps one of the Westjetters here can confirm that?

I'm fine with Plus using the same seat in the 737s, since we're talking shorter flights for the most part. And having the middle blocked off is good, it makes it like business class on many European domestic flights. I'm happy to pay a premium for that ... but not 100%.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:07 am

I believe the Plus seats on the 767s will be different seats. Perhaps one of the Westjetters here can confirm that?

I'm fine with Plus using the same seat in the 737s, since we're talking shorter flights for the most part. And having the middle blocked off is good, it makes it like business class on many European domestic flights. I'm happy to pay a premium for that ... but not 100%.
if you go by this video they released then they are different.

Old Aug 6, 2015, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Ace Cdn
if you go by this video they released then they are different.

The Plus seats on the 767 are the original Qantas business class seats recovered with new leather.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 6:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Gogie
Same physical seat but with more pitch (36" - 40" vs 31" - 32" for "regular" seats).
Ah, that's what was meant and meal culpa for not catching that.

Beginning mid-September centre seats in plus rows will be physically blocked so you will never have someone beside you.
Sat in a mock-up of these seats at a May WS TA event and so am looking forward to the roll-out.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True, you don't get a free lunch...
On DL you do, an on AA/US ExecPlats do. As for alcoholic drinks, my impression on a 4-hour flight is that it's acceptable to get one with the first pass through of the cart with the snack item, and if there's a second pass through. However, a second or even third drink is about the limit if there is no second pass through of the cart. From what I observed, most people sitting in PLUS on both my flights were unaware of the free drink thing and FAs didn't mention it specifically. Only two other people ordered anything alcoholic, wine or beer. Just myself and one other person on the outbound had the hard stuff. FAs jot down what's given out in PLUS for accounting purposes.

BTW Scotch is JW Black label, same as on AC in both cabins. Step up from the Dewars White label that's standard in both cabins on the US airlines.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by NoahVail
Perhaps with the increase in Plus price and comfort, WS will also look at ways to end the food grab that seems to go on in current Plus (eg. let's see how many bags of Twizzlers we can fit in our pockets to take home). I'm sure some kind of boxed lunch style package with higher end food would be more economical and more enjoyable for the business pax than having the whole food cart shoved into the pockets of the current Plus pax before it gets past row 4.
Ovens! Warm dishes!

Here's waving my credit card at you, oh Carrier. :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.