Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet: wide-body aircraft? FFP tiers? what's next?

Old Nov 4, 2014, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!

Is anyone else thinking they will introduce business class eventually, if not in their 2016 wide-body aircraft? Or start building airport lounges in key markets?

My thinking is that they are looking at Alaska and seeing what happens if you limit yourself to a comfortable profit serving markets with only 737s.

They know many AC premium fliers are upset and are stuck with AC, so there is definitely opportunity.

There's also the looming threat of Southwest as well, who are going to be flying up to Canada eventually.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 11:31 pm

I'd imagine they'll open their own lounges in YYC and YYZ eventually.

I also think they'll join oneworld eventually.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: AC*E50, AE dBlack, Club Carlson Concierge, NEXUS
They're slowly turning into Air Canada, which means at some point we'll all be in here kvetching about how hard it is to get upgraded into business class and how busy the Teal Lounges are.

That said, I think they'll be moving to join an alliance soon, and given how friendly they are with American, it'll be oneworld.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 12:06 pm

In no particular order or timeline, join an alliance, bankruptcy.

Or sell off WS Vacations, Encore, FFP and maintenance.
Let core airline restructure in bankruptcy.

Excuse my cynicism!
Old Nov 5, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by keitherson
Is anyone else thinking they will introduce business class eventually, if not in their 2016 wide-body aircraft? Or start building airport lounges in key markets?

My thinking is that they are looking at Alaska and seeing what happens if you limit yourself to a comfortable profit serving markets with only 737s.

They know many AC premium fliers are upset and are stuck with AC, so there is definitely opportunity.

There's also the looming threat of Southwest as well, who are going to be flying up to Canada eventually.
Regarding business class. While they will have separate front cabin, it will be more to the style of premium rouge on the 763 and will not be full business cabin like what is currently in mainline international airlines.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 5:10 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by WR Cage
Regarding business class. While they will have separate front cabin, it will be more to the style of premium rouge on the 763 and will not be full business cabin like what is currently in mainline international airlines.
I would expect the product offering, if and when it happens, to be similar to domestic business class on European carriers like Lufthansa.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 1:01 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Milage Plan; Hhonors;
Originally Posted by TheGreatestX
I'd imagine they'll open their own lounges in YYC and YYZ eventually.

I also think they'll join oneworld eventually.
+1
Old Nov 13, 2014, 9:44 pm

The problem with the disgruntled AC-fans is that WestJet has a pretty solid load factor. If they want to win those AC-folks over in significant numbers, WestJet would have to invest in quite a few more planes. But that takes time, and then the AC-fans may have settled with whatever they get from AC (or Porter). Also, the question would be if WestJet could fill those extra planes profitably.

WestJet has been fairing extremely well, financially, by growing step by step. The launch of WestJet Encore was a HUGE step for the company, and the rollout of Encore is still going on. Now they are going for Widebodies for trans-ocean-flights.

Adding a siginficant order of B737 on top of that, just to engage AC head on nationally, would increase the financial risk further.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by sokolov
Adding a siginficant order of B737 on top of that, just to engage AC head on nationally, would increase the financial risk further.
They have 83 NG/MAX 737s on order.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by TheGreatestX
They have 83 NG/MAX 737s on order.
Yes, thank you for reminding me about that. (not sure if it is exactly 83, but i take your word for it *g*). This order actually deferred (!) delivery of some 737 NG which should have started to arrive next month.

The large MAX order will arrive 2017-2027. these planes will increase fleet size modestly to significantly, depending on what westjet does with currently leased planes.

Do you think that is good enough for the currently angry AC fans?
Old Nov 15, 2014, 11:11 pm

Here is the official 737 fleet plan: http://www.westjet.com/pdf/ourFleet/...-fleetplan.pdf
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by aerobod
Here is the official 737 fleet plan: http://www.westjet.com/pdf/ourFleet/...-fleetplan.pdf
Thank you. The document tells us, that, this year, the 737-fleet is shrinking (-2). Next year, there will be moderate growth (+5, to take us to +3 vs 2013). On the other hand, there is the WestJet Encore fleet, and it is growing rapidly.

So what do you folks think: How much capacity is there for WestJet to win over a substantial number from the disgruntled AC-crowd (without losing a substantial number of passengers to AC and Porter at the same time)?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 12:27 am

The document tells us, that, this year, the 737-fleet is shrinking (
That is only 2 more -700 to be sent to Southwest during the last quarter (the link shows the fleet status as of the end of Sept), the net fleet growth for 2014 was 3 aircraft, with 5 -800 also added to replace the 5 -700 sold to Southwest.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 11:01 am
Company Representative: WestJet

Programs: WestJet Rewards
One extra piece of info you should consider as you discuss (we've got the popcorn on!) is that the 136-seat aircraft we're selling to Southwest have been replaced with 174-seat 800s, adding capacity to a lot of flights.

~Darren
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:39 pm

The problem with the disgruntled AC-fans is that WestJet has a pretty solid load factor.
At the end of the previous quarter:
AC load factor: 89.8%
Westjet load factor: 89.3%

Explain the problem with load factor????

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.