Westjet Gold Status Match

Old Nov 22, 2019, 11:14 pm

Programs: Curb Your Enthusiasm, Fraggle Rock
I get that few issues are simply a black or white matter, and it's worth acknowledging that Westjet has pulled some true corkers of recent...

Nevertheless, in this case I'm struggling to see how Westjet can be held responsible for Air Canada's incompetence.

Mind you, it also speaks to how Ed Sims' WestJet has disempowered employees from exercising customer-satisfying judgment in favour of bureaucratic rules.

Last edited by Norcanair; Nov 22, 2019 at 11:33 pm Reason: clarification and type
Old Nov 23, 2019, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by codfather
Well, with all due respect, what the heck else am I supposed to do?

No physical or digital card available in case you weren't aware

I mean if you have any better ideas for approaching this, please, please share them!
Scan a boarding pass with your status. Send that to WS Facebook team, gently concisely explaining the situation. Acknowledge their legitimate ask, and how you would love to fly with them...
Old Nov 23, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Norcanair
I get that few issues are simply a black or white matter, and it's worth acknowledging that Westjet has pulled some true corkers of recent...

Nevertheless, in this case I'm struggling to see how Westjet can be held responsible for Air Canada's incompetence.

Mind you, it also speaks to how Ed Sims' WestJet has disempowered employees from exercising customer-satisfying judgment in favour of bureaucratic rules.
I don't know if I would classify this as incompetence by AC, but WS should not be unreasonable in these situations either.

It is not the fault of a potential customer that their current airline is not allowing them to access a digital or physical card...
Old Nov 23, 2019, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by eracerblue
Scan a boarding pass with your status. Send that to WS Facebook team, gently concisely explaining the situation. Acknowledge their legitimate ask, and how you would love to fly with them...
I will likely do that as I have a flight coming up in a week with AC...
Old Nov 23, 2019, 5:41 pm

After I pressed them a little over why they would not accept the screenshot from my Altitude dashboard, they ended up approving me for WS Silver.

Do people who status match receive a physical card still? I know Silver doesn't get bag tags, but I would assume we still get a physical card.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 7:51 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I would assume we still get a physical card.
Never assume. You didn't get one from AC, did you?
Old Nov 23, 2019, 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by Symmetre
Never assume. You didn't get one from AC, did you?
I would politely disagree...

Given that I had to push them to accept my status match with a screenshot of my Altitude dashboard, they said that a scanned copy of my physical card was required. Now, as a P25K I do not get one, but as they assumed I did, I thought that they must give them to Silver members. Anyways, not the end of the world...
Old Nov 23, 2019, 11:13 pm

I don't know if I would classify this as incompetence by AC, but WS should not be unreasonable in these situations either.

It is not the fault of a potential customer that their current airline is not allowing them to access a digital or physical card...
There's some broad truth here, Codfather. I'm truly glad WS did you right!

But as you pointed out earlier, AC digital cards have been unavailable in their mobile app since an update in late September. If this is not ACs fault, then whose fault is it?
Old Nov 24, 2019, 12:02 pm

There's some broad truth here, Codfather. I'm truly glad WS did you right!

But as you pointed out earlier, AC digital cards have been unavailable in their mobile app since an update in late September. If this is not ACs fault, then whose fault is it?
Well, I don't really know if they are "at-fault" because they deliberately removed it from the app for the time being.

If it was a result of the Amadeus transition, I would agree with you, but it isn't.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 9:26 pm

Well, I don't really know if they are "at-fault" because they deliberately removed it from the app for the time being.

If it was a result of the Amadeus transition, I would agree with you, but it isn't.
If the removal of card access in the app was deliberate and not the result of AC's incompetence, then is something nefarious going at AC?

What possible reason would they have to restrict access to your status card?

Last edited by Norcanair; Nov 24, 2019 at 9:28 pm Reason: clarification
Old Nov 24, 2019, 9:32 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
If the removal of card access in the app was deliberate and not the result of AC's incompetence, then is something nefarious going at AC?

What possible reason would they have to restrict access to your status card?
It wasn't that poster's card that was removed. AC removed the digital card feature from the app altogether.
codfather likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
It wasn't that poster's card that was removed. AC removed the digital card feature from the app altogether.
That's my point. Why did AC pull the cards from the app?
Old Nov 24, 2019, 10:05 pm

There are a lot of changes going on at AC around the PSS, loyalty and passenger authentication systems and the mobile 3.0 app. It is really just a case of function migration priority.
Norcanair likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 10:12 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Because their horrible new app and botched transition to Amadeus weren't going to inconvenience their best customers enough already.
codfather and Norcanair like this.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Because their horrible new app and botched transition to Amadeus weren't going to inconvenience their best customers enough already.
I’m aware of or have been directly involved with the details of Res system migrations at WestJet, JetBlue, Southwest and Air Canada. The AC Altea migration went quite smoothly relative to most airline Res system migrations, with only a handful of issues with the tens of millions of migrated PNRs and associated data elements. Any airline Res system migration that has no associated operational impact or newsworthy issues is a successful migration due to the significant complexities involved.

Their new app is polarizing, with as many social media comments saying it is an improvement compared with those who dislike it. The main complaint from older people seems to be that the fonts are too small.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.