Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Passenger’s Sexist Note Left on WestJet Flight Stirs Pilot’s Heated Response

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Passenger’s Sexist Note Left on WestJet Flight Stirs Pilot’s Heated Response

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On my last flight before retiring from the military, the crew of the C130 Hercules was almost entirely female: pilot, co-pilot ,navigator and loadmaster; only the flight engineer was a male.

Don't share this with the dummy who wrote the note; he will go wild.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Plat,AS MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat, Amtrak(all routes, VIA same, AUS 90%)
Left seat, yay!

Every time I see Capt. Karen Clark(whom I believe appears in AA's IFE promo)I cheer. Usually out of SJU. I complimented her with some smooth off-auto maneuvers once, and humbly,she attributed that to her FO. I say, more women pilots!
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Baldpacker
I've come to expect reactions like that when flying in the Middle East and Asia, but cannot fathom someone making a remark like that in Canada. Ridiculous.
Amen.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:16 am

It's a used napkin, put it in the trash where it belongs and don't worry about the gutless wonder who didn't have the courage to say out loud what s/he scribbles on trash.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 12:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
...So, addressing the elephant in the room...

Originally Posted by Tailgater
Actually, the napkin makes sense. Women, as everybody knows, can't drive either (they're too cautious, indecisive, incite road rage) and so, what makes anyone think they can fly an airliner? Do you want a guy to wear panties? People are built differently. Would you want to drive a chick car such as VW Bug to 4 wheel around with Jeeps?
...is this just really well-done satire?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 2:08 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, SPG Plt, HH Dmnd
Unbelievable. Westjet knows who the pax is, maybe his info should be 'leaked'.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Taiwaned
Notice the use of the scripture on the napkin?

Another good "Christian"....
Interesting that while Proverbs 31 does reference the qualities of a "wife of noble character". It is hardly of a weak or stay-at-home woman (particularly for the era it was written) given that it describes an enterprising woman:
- She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
- She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night.
- She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes.
- She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness.
- Honor her for all that her hands have done, and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

Looks like it is praising a woman that makes the most of her skills and opportunities.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
Notice the use of the scripture on the napkin?

Another good "Christian"....
Sad, but true. Note the comment that "we're short of mothers not pilots" (which is of course completely false; we need fewer mothers and more pilots, not that this is in any way germane since in a free society one chooses any profession or occupation rather than being assigned one based on a perception of society's needs).

Originally Posted by pewpew
...So, addressing the elephant in the room...
Originally Posted by Tailgater
Actually, the napkin makes sense. Women, as everybody knows, can't drive either (they're too cautious, indecisive, incite road rage) and so, what makes anyone think they can fly an airliner? Do you want a guy to wear panties? People are built differently. Would you want to drive a chick car such as VW Bug to 4 wheel around with Jeeps?
...is this just really well-done satire?
I assumed so, but see Poe's Law.

My first thought was that the napkin itself was satire (See Poe's Law). Also, I wonder why everyone here assumes the author is a man? Women can be just as sexist as men and just as much a religious nutjob fundamentalist as men.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 4:14 pm

Had this note been found prior to landing, I'd have been happy to have my ride delayed as the pilot diverted the flight to the nearest airfield in order to discharge "David" from the plane. One must always wonder about the risk to the flight when one has among its passengers a person who is clearly so hateful and out-of-touch with reality. Hopefully a suitable airport could have been found - e.g. one without other commercial service and a long was from nearest train or bus station.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by anabolism
Also, I wonder why everyone here assumes the author is a man? Women can be just as sexist as men and just as much a religious nutjob fundamentalist as men.
Uh, probably because the napkin is signed "David" a traditionally male name.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Indelaware
Had this note been found prior to landing, I'd have been happy to have my ride delayed as the pilot diverted the flight to the nearest airfield in order to discharge "David" from the plane. One must always wonder about the risk to the flight when one has among its passengers a person who is clearly so hateful and out-of-touch with reality. Hopefully a suitable airport could have been found - e.g. one without other commercial service and a long was from nearest train or bus station.
I don't know if you are serious or tonge-in-cheek, and obviously you are trying to devise ways to punish the passenger for his or her views and expression of same in a degrading and unpleasant way. However, such a diversion would cause distress to many completely innocent fellow passengers on that flight as well as the next leg to be flown by the equipment (assuming no overnight etc.). Further, such nonsensical overreactions in the name of security are a worse problem than any suspected threat of terrorism they seek to avoid. That one nutjob religious fundamentalist is no threat to the plane.

I realize Canada has their own laws and does not guarantee a right of free speech as we do in the U.S., but I would argue that punishing someone for expression views, even distasteful ones, is wrong. Better to point out the idiocy of the views. (That said, I do not extend this to the rights of businesses to discriminate).
Old Mar 4, 2014, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by FAA1996
Uh, probably because the napkin is signed "David" a traditionally male name.
Ah, I'd missed that (blame jetlag) when I read the note. Thanks.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat; Marriott Plat: Hilton Gold
I am lost. What's wrong with what 'David' wrote on his napkin?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 7:08 pm

As a woman in a male dominated profession, I would be neither shocked, nor annoyed. The note would have been given all the consideration it was due - none. Responding only let the writer know that he got to her. She should stay on game. The best way to get even is for that gal to keep flying her big ole airplane and encourage her sister pilots to do the same. I don't want a female pilot or a male pilot. I want a competent pilot. If she was shocked, then she has had it easy. Trust me.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 7:39 pm

Programs: The Dastardly Quintet.
Originally Posted by TravelingPeanut
Quoting the anonymous napkin scrawler: "I wish WestJet could tell me a fair lady is at the helm, so I can book another flight!"
Well, I wish they'd tell me when this jackass is on the plane, so I can book another flight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.