Westjet to orders 65 737MAX

Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Has anyone flown on the 7M8 yet? How does it compare with the 738?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by The Lev
I flew YYZ-YYC on Sunday. The plane was comfy, had new plane smell. It seemed to be a fair bit quieter. Was weird smelling the things baking in the ovens (pizza, mac and cheese...), not sure I like that. Was surprised no in seat IFE (see AC below).

Received an email from AC today about their 737 Max
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...x.html?acid=em 62535725 36434589

They brag about their IFE.. and will also offer streaming to your own device.

Ron.

Last edited by newfbc; Dec 12, 2017 at 10:18 am
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by newfbc
I flew YYZ-YYC on Sunday. The plane was comfy, had new plane smell. It seemed to be a fair bit quieter. Was weird smelling the things baking in the ovens (pizza, mac and cheese...), not sure I like that. Was surprised no IFE (see AC below).

Received an email from AC today about their 737 Max
https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...x.html?acid=em 62535725 36434589

They brag about their IFE.. and will also offer streaming to your own device.

Ron.
The WestJet 7M8s have WestJet Connect for Internet connectivity and video streaming to your own device using the WestJet App.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by aerobod

The WestJet 7M8s have WestJet Connect for Internet connectivity and video streaming to your own device using the WestJet App.
Yes.. I realize that. I thought I read that Westjet was considering another in seat IFE system...? Is this not the case anymore?

Ron.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:54 pm

No plans for seat back screens on the 737 fleet, but there will be continuous improvements in WestJet Connect hardware and software on the fleet as new technology becomes available, adding features, network throughput and session reliability capabilities.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by aerobod
No plans for seat back screens on the 737 fleet, but there will be continuous improvements in WestJet Connect hardware and software on the fleet as new technology becomes available, adding features, network throughput and session reliability capabilities.
Any chance the system will stop using flash? It's pretty much broken on PC's. Installing flash doesn't make it work (and Ive tried manually enabling etc). And Ive seen others failing to get it to work lately too - on my flight today the woman next to me asked for help, attendant couldn't get it to work so gave her a tablet. Annoying watching some of the tv shows on my phone app when I have a 13 inch screen under the seat!
Old Dec 14, 2017, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by cluseau
Any chance the system will stop using flash? It's pretty much broken on PC's. Installing flash doesn't make it work (and Ive tried manually enabling etc). And Ive seen others failing to get it to work lately too - on my flight today the woman next to me asked for help, attendant couldn't get it to work so gave her a tablet. Annoying watching some of the tv shows on my phone app when I have a 13 inch screen under the seat!
This. Doesn't work on Edge. Doesn't work on Firefox. Sometimes works on IE. But who uses IE?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:04 pm

The big problem is finding a DRM that is cross-system compatible, approved by the movie houses and doesnt compromise PC performance with entry level devices. I would expect to see something that is HTML5 compatible in the future, but the movie house will insist on a strong DRM capability, without DRM streaming would be significantly easier. At the moment the Marlin DRM is the approved one for Hollywood premium content, most common DRMs are not approved, allowing content that is only available for general broadcast. The focus is on iOS devices from a vendor support perspective, as that is by far the bulk of users who initiate a wifi connection, followed by Android devices, then PCs and Mac Books. The focus from a PC and Mac Book perspective is to provide Internet access more than video streaming, for business users.

Last edited by aerobod; Dec 14, 2017 at 11:16 pm
Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:40 am

Aerobod, appreciate the info here, and understand that while PCs don't get used much for TV, maybe there is a causal effect because it doesn't work? And the company went to the effort of creating the WestJet Connect app for Android/iOS; why not re-compile for Windows/OSX? The company wants to take more business travel/premium travel market share...experiences that actually work go a long way towards customer satisfaction.

Really looking forward to the day I don't have to use 2 devices (one for work, one for TV) when on a WS flight.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
Flew on the 7M8 YVR-YYZ in PLUS
- No tray table in middle seat
- Life vests now stored in the overhead panel instead of under the seat
- # of toilets seems grossly inadequate as the queue never stop from the moment the seat belt sign was turned off to landing
- Leather seats with not very thick padding
- Streaming IFE using WS App or complimentary Toshiba tablets for PLUS passengers, including complimentary ear bud type headphone.

Last edited by Clipper801; Dec 29, 2017 at 5:56 pm
Old Dec 29, 2017, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Clipper801
Flew on the 7M8 YVR-YYZ in PLUS
- # of toilets seems grossly inadequate as the queue never stop from the moment the seat belt sign was turned off to landing
- Leather seats with not very think padding
- Streaming IFE using WS App or complimentary Toshiba tablets for PLUS passengers, including complimentary ear bud type headphone.
These are all consistent with the 737-800s, 3 toilets, same leather seats and same IFEC system on all but 4 of the 737-800s. Major 737-800 operators I have checked (United, Delta, Southwest, KLM, Ryanair) all have 3 toilets in the aircraft, 1 forward, 2 aft, I expect the 7M8s will be the same as the fuselage size is the same as the -800. Of the current 737 line, only the -900 has 4 toilets.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:51 pm

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I still havent even seen the Max, I seem to be living in 738-land these days. Too bad, I really like that new plane smell 😜
tcook052 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 3:39 pm

I flew 7M8 (tail C-GXAX) YYC - YYZ on Dec 29. The interior was bright. The overhead bins seem larger. Was it my perception? Anyone else can confirm? The middle seat in Plus was not physically blocked. Remaimed empty. The WestJet connect did not function on this flight. They announced it prior to boarding. Didn’t use the washroom.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by FlyWhere
I flew 7M8 (tail C-GXAX) YYC - YYZ on Dec 29. The interior was bright. The overhead bins seem larger. Was it my perception? Anyone else can confirm? The middle seat in Plus was not physically blocked. Remaimed empty. The WestJet connect did not function on this flight. They announced it prior to boarding. Didnt use the washroom.
The bins are signficantly larger, designed to take standard roll-aboards edge on and long side from front to back of the bin with the aim of not having to gate-check carry-ons on a full aircraft.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 4:23 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
If only airplanes had a large space dedicated to luggage...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.