Westjet to orders 65 737MAX

Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
WestJet's first 737 MAX-8 in Renton

Great video.

Drone flies over WestJet's first 737 MAX-8 in Renton

Published on Aug 10, 2017

QUOTE:

"For the first time ever, the FAA has approved a professionally-operated drone to fly and film a 737 MAX aircraft next to Boeing's factory in Renton, Washington. The aircraft is WestJet's first Boeing 737 MAX-8, which is due to join the WestJet fleet soon. "

Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:26 am

Per Twitter, first 737 Max (fin 301, C-FRAX) is scheduled to be delivered today, arriving at YYC at 17:10 local
Old Sep 30, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: AC E50K
Any pics of the interior. Excited to see the new Plus especially

Very strange to see that WestJet is so quite about this aircraft other than posting a couple of pictures on Twitter
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: AC*A
Originally Posted by newcdn

Very strange to see that WestJet is so quite about this aircraft other than posting a couple of pictures on Twitter
I think its probably due to a combination of: 1) Boeing isn't seen in the best right now in Canada and 2) the interior isn't any different than the retrofitted 738s.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:58 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by newcdn

Very strange to see that WestJet is so quiet about this aircraft other than posting a couple of pictures on Twitter
Originally Posted by Orcair
I think its probably due to a combination of: 1) Boeing isn't seen in the best right now in Canada and 2) the interior isn't any different than the retrofitted 738s.
No interior pics or cabin configuration diagrams from WS that I have seen.

I'm going the opposite from Orcair. I think the lack of discussion from WS is because there is a dramatic change in the max8 seat configuration from the 738. We all ready know the max8 will have ovens and this will change the seat plan between the two aircraft types.

I'm going to guess that WS has something super hush hush about the max8 that they have told Westjetters not to reveal anywhere online or to friends. Otherwise rumors would be circulating.

To sum up, my guess is that WS will put in a proper domestic business class seat with 2X2 seat configuration.
Orcair likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by WR Cage
No interior pics or cabin configuration diagrams from WS that I have seen.

I'm going the opposite from Orcair. I think the lack of discussion from WS is because there is a dramatic change in the max8 seat configuration from the 738. We all ready know the max8 will have ovens and this will change the seat plan between the two aircraft types.

I'm going to guess that WS has something super hush hush about the max8 that they have told Westjetters not to reveal anywhere online or to friends. Otherwise rumors would be circulating.

To sum up, my guess is that WS will put in a proper domestic business class seat with 2X2 seat configuration.
The seat map is up if you search for the first scheduled flight (WS656 YYC-YYZ on November 9). Showing as 3 rows of plus (with blocked middle seat) followed by 27 rows of 3x3, for a config of W12Y162, so basically the same as a current 738 with an extra row at the back.

I guess its all still subject to change until they "officially" announce something, but I suspect not much will change given that this is and has been loaded into the system for a couple months now
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...650395643.html

CALGARY, Oct. 11, 2017 /CNW/ - WestJet today officially unveiled its first Boeing 737 MAX 8 aircraft, one of 50 scheduled for delivery in the next four years.

"We are proud to make history as the first Canadian airline to receive the Boeing 737 MAX," said Ed Sims, WestJet Executive Vice-President, Commercial. "The MAX's design updates, including Boeing's Advanced Technology winglets and the Boeing Sky Interior, will contribute to improvements in fuel efficiency and overall guest experience. We look forward to welcoming guests on board our sleek new aircraft along with our signature caring, people-driven service."

"We worked closely with WestJet to make sure the 737 MAX raises the bar when it comes to efficiency, reliability and the passenger experience," said Brad McMullen, Boeing's Vice-President of Sales for the Americas. "This is a great airplane for a great customer, and we're excited to see WestJet put the MAX into service."

The aircraft, which has been at WestJet's Calgary hangar since September 29 for inspections, training and test flights, is the first of 50 Boeing 737 Max scheduled to be delivered through 2027. The aircraft is expected to officially enter service on November 9, 2017, when it operates from Calgary to Toronto.

The Boeing 737 MAX is powered by CFM International's LEAP-1B engines, designed for fuel efficiency and noise reduction. Overall, the aircraft is 14 per cent more fuel-efficient than current 737 Next-Generations and have a reduced operational noise footprint of up to 40 per cent through quiet-engine technology.

WestJet's 737 MAX 8 aircraft feature a single cabin with 174 seats. Its seating configuration consists of three rows of Plus in addition to 11 more rows with a seat pitch of 34 inches. Further enhancing WestJet's guest experience, the aircraft comes with Boeing's new Sky Interior which has features such as customizable LED lighting and new speakers to improve sound and clarity of onboard announcements.

WestJet's current fleet consists of 117 Boeing Next-Generation 737s, four Boeing 767s and 42 Bombardier Q400 NextGen aircraft. WestJet has also entered into a definitive purchase agreement for 10 Boeing 787-9 Dreamliners with the first aircraft expected to be delivered in January 2019. With one of the youngest fleets in the airline industry, WestJet continues its global growth while controlling operating costs and providing an award-winning guest experience.

Last edited by tcook052; Oct 12, 2017 at 1:22 pm
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tcook052
http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases...650395643.html

WestJet's 737 MAX 8 aircraft feature a single cabin with 174 seats. Its seating configuration consists of three rows of Plus in addition to 11 more rows with a seat pitch of 34 inches.
Interesting! A lot of seats - behind the Plus rows - that have major legroom?!

As a tall guy, I love it!

Does anyone have any insight into how these will be sold?
- included in a Flex purchase at no additional cost??
- available to any Econo or Flex passenger, but at a higher cost than standard seats?
- or is these seats for a whole new fare class??

Anyone have the details?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
Interesting! A lot of seats - behind the Plus rows - that have major legroom?!

As a tall guy, I love it!

Does anyone have any insight into how these will be sold?
- included in a Flex purchase at no additional cost??
- available to any Econo or Flex passenger, but at a higher cost than standard seats?
- or is these seats for a whole new fare class??

Anyone have the details?
I was at the WestJet launch event yesterday and they will be marketed as 'Extra Legroom' seats but they didn't give details on how they will be sold yet! However when you try to book a Flex fare on the first full revenue flight on November 9th (the planes did fly some revenue flights today and most likely others) you can pick any of the seats behind Plus at no extra charge. Not sure if this will be a permanent thing or only until they update their systems once more of the planes are flying.

I do have photos and videos of the plane and event from yesterday at
http://blog.rewardscanada.ca/2017/10...737-max-8.html
Old Oct 12, 2017, 9:37 pm

Inaugural YYC-YYZ flight on 10/12/2017

Originally Posted by 24left
Great video.

Drone flies over WestJet's first 737 MAX-8 in Renton

Published on Aug 10, 2017

QUOTE:

"For the first time ever, the FAA has approved a professionally-operated drone to fly and film a 737 MAX aircraft next to Boeing's factory in Renton, Washington. The aircraft is WestJet's first Boeing 737 MAX-8, which is due to join the WestJet fleet soon. "

Drone flies over WestJet's first 737 MAX-8 in Renton - YouTube
Attached Images   
Old Oct 16, 2017, 10:48 am

First revenue flight moved to November 2.

WestJet in recent schedule update revised planned Boeing 737MAX 8 inaugural, scheduled one week earlier on 02NOV17. The inaugural is currently scheduled as Toronto Calgary, with return flight on 03NOV17. Note further changes remain highly possible.

WS667 YYZ1700 1918YYC 7M8 02NOV17
WS662 YYC0930 1513YYZ 7M8 03NOV17

Planned 737MAX 8 service from 09NOV17 onwards remain unchanged.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
After the way Boeing is screwing Canada, I'm really disappointed that WestJet didn't cancel the order and go elsewhere.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
After the way Boeing is screwing Canada, I'm really disappointed that WestJet didn't cancel the order and go elsewhere.
It's really not that simple. It's pretty much guaranteed that they didn't make, "I don't like how you treat my country", a no-fee cancellation clause. So they'd be out a significant chunk of change if they walked away, plus they likely got a 787 discount with their purchase which would also be clawed back.

Spending $1B for zero airplanes is a good way to get sued by your shareholders.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:10 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
You're kidding me, right?
Old Nov 1, 2017, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Westjet has shifted from 737-MAX9 to 737-MAX10. Is scheduled to be delivery in the year 2021.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.