Westjet to orders 65 737MAX

Old Jul 23, 2016, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by N830MH
What is the range now? Is that 4,000nm or something like that? Any ideas?
737-7 range 3,350 nautical miles according to this:
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/737...lies-farthest/
(737-8 and 737-9 range is 3,515)
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by The Lev
737-7 range 3,350 nautical miles according to this:
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/737...lies-farthest/
(737-8 and 737-9 range is 3,515)
Wait! I think they are talking about 737-7.5MAX. Didn't they already announced from Boeing? They will increased the range, more capabilities, and more fuel-efficient.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 6:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by tracon
Boeing increases seat capacity of 737 max 7

Boeing will add two more rows, or 12 seats, to the Boeing 737 MAX 7 compared with the 737-700, based on feedback from North American low-cost carriers Southwest Airlines and WestJet.
Is that going to shrink seat pitch? One reason I will fly WS over the competition is a fairly healthy seat pitch of up to 33 inches so if they begin packing more people on the newer planes and drop that down a few inches it could make me look elsewhere.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by tcook052
One reason I will fly WS over the competition is a fairly healthy seat pitch of up to 33 inches
Is there a list somewhere of which seats have the 33-inch pitch?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Ditto - I have yet to find them.

Is that going to shrink seat pitch? One reason I will fly WS over the competition is a fairly healthy seat pitch of up to 33 inches so if they begin packing more people on the newer planes and drop that down a few inches it could make me look elsewhere.
In my experience WS creates the impression of greater seat pitch by having a shorter seat cushion, which appears to leave more "space" for your legs while in fact doing no such thing. The short seat cushion makes the seat much less comfortable for me - I feel like i'm perched on it with insufficient weight being absorbed by my thighs.

Mind you in my case I can access the "preferred" seats on AC which give me the benefit of better seat cushion and more pitch.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
What is the range now? Is that 4,000nm or something like that? Any ideas?
Nominally 3500nm, but not fully confirmed for the 737MAX 7X as the 7 is now not going to be produced.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Ditto - I have yet to find them.
No reliable list no as Seat Guru not always accurate. IME the exit row seats have greater pitch so would be the ones in the 33 inch range.

FWIW I find regular WS seats tolerable and was inquiring as to whether these new aircraft would come with less room a la AC rouge. Anyone have an answer?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No reliable list no as Seat Guru not always accurate. IME the exit row seats have greater pitch so would be the ones in the 33 inch range.
It's a bit disingenuous to say one flies Westjet for their 33" pitch if that pitch is only in the exit rows. Westjet, like AC charges a premium to access those. Mainline for mainline and excluding exit rows, pitch seems the same to me.

Westjet Encore crams an additional row on the Q400 (78 vs. 74 passengers) by offering 30" pitch unless you are in Plus.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
IME the exit row seats have greater pitch so would be the ones in the 33 inch range.
If those are the only ones, I'd say WestJet is way behind the competition. Most airlines have 35+ in the exit rows.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:29 am

Anyone have an answer?
Apparently not. Too bad as I was curious as to the answer.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 5:53 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Mind you in my case I can access the "preferred" seats on AC which give me the benefit of better seat cushion and more pitch.
As more domestic and transborder AC flights are operated by rouge (aka "rough" ... "rude" ... "rogue" ... etc) that's becoming less and less the case. I was recently required to fly on rouge (not my idea, the client booked it) and the upgraded, preferred seat I paid out of pocket to sit in was essentially the same as a standard economy seat on Westjet. Of course it was far better than sitting in a normal rouge seat, which is akin to standing in a crowded elevator, but still. By the time I paid the upcharge, it cost more than the same seat on Westjet.

Thanks, I'll stick to Westjet's standard economy product.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Symmetre
As more domestic and transborder AC flights are operated by rouge (aka "rough" ... "rude" ... "rogue" ... etc) that's becoming less and less the case.
What domestic flights have been Rouged?

Not too many of my US destinations are on Rouge, but southern holidays destinations - different story.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:42 pm

Not too many of my US destinations are on Rouge, but southern holidays destinations - different story.
YYC-YHZ and YYZ-YLW come to mind. I think there might be 1 or 2 more.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:11 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
YYZ-YYG direct flights are now rouged, as I found out to my severe discomfort last week.

AC said "rude" would only be for holiday destinations. But they've now changed their tune as we have transborder business routes being "roughed". And they've started a few domestic routes. If they can operate their "rogue" flights on domestic routes at lower cost, then the rest won't be too far behind.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by the lev
what domestic flights have been rouged?
Originally Posted by rehoult
yyc-yhz and yyz-ylw come to mind. I think there might be 1 or 2 more.
Originally Posted by symmetre
yyz-yyg direct flights are now rouged, as i found out to my severe discomfort last week.
yyz-yxx
yyz-ydf
yyc-yhm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.