Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WS adds Dallas, Myrtle Beach, Nanaimo, Fort St John

Old Feb 10, 2013, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

From Calgary: Dallas, Nanaimo (Encore) and Fort St. John (Encore)

From Toronto: Myrtle Beach

From Vancouver: Fort St. John (Encore), Victoria (Encore)

Last edited by TheGreatestX; Feb 10, 2013 at 9:27 pm
Old Feb 10, 2013, 8:11 pm

Very nice moves. Like Fort St. John's.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Really? YYC-DFW? There's already 2 dailies on that route. How about something a little more innovative like YEG-DFW?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 8:21 pm

http://airlineroute.net/2013/02/11/w...n=tweets130211
Old Feb 10, 2013, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/help/encore.shtml
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:43 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Looks good so far! Nothing too crazy, but certainly gearing up to give AC a run for their money!

I do have to say though- 78 seats seems tight for a Dash 8 400 no?
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:30 pm

Thats 4 more seats then QK has on it's Q400s and 8 more seats than Porter.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 5:29 am

It's interesting too that they're increasing YYC-YXE service y one daily with the addition of a Q400 flight. They're reducing capacity into YQR, however, which seems strange as those flights always seem full.

The 30 inch seat pitch is uninspiring.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 6:49 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Air Canada 50K, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Others on Rotation
Originally Posted by arf04

The 30 inch seat pitch is uninspiring.
Airline industry race to the bottom continues!

Now that we know Economy - is onboard the Q400s does that mean Encore will also be introducing Economy +? I'm not sure if there's space to do that with 78 seats.

We also know that Encore won't be serving YTZ any time soon. No more than 70 seats can fly in and out of that airport (I guess they could probably just not sell 8 tickets but wouldn't that be a major waste of space?).
Old Feb 11, 2013, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by CanadianConnection33

Now that we know Economy - is onboard the Q400s does that mean Encore will also be introducing Economy +? I'm not sure if there's space to do that with 78 seats.

We also know that Encore won't be serving YTZ any time soon. No more than 70 seats can fly in and out of that airport (I guess they could probably just not sell 8 tickets but wouldn't that be a major waste of space?).
I think the rules at YTZ will change quite a bit when it becomes obvious the airport and it's main tenant can not survive and service dries up. Porter HAS to start showing a profit at some point, right?

Old Feb 11, 2013, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by CanadianConnection33
They got the wrong name for Encore. Should have called it Spirit!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by nave888
Nothing too crazy, but certainly gearing up to give AC a run for their money!

I do have to say though- 78 seats seems tight for a Dash 8 400 no?
This schedule for certain does not give AC a run for their money.

Lets look by schedule implementation date:
YYC-YXJ/YCD; No current AC service. No yield impact to AC.
YVR-YXJ: Current AC service so this is one small market where WS has new opportunities to compete.
YVR-YYJ, first flight into YVR and last flight out to YYJ does not compare well to AC 12+ daily flights.
YYC-YQR/YXE; all ready has westjet price affected. Also WS is the dominant airline on this route so any price cutting will only cannabalize WS yield much more than AC.
YYC-YQU: Again thus route is all ready served by WS with existing service through YEG. Again WS will not undercut their own yield.
YYC-YEG: is the only route where WS could be seen as putting the boots to AC. However this is also the route where WS is decreasing the most seats as 4/9 flts get downguaged to the Q400. Unitl WS gets to 12 daily flts or better on this route I do not expect any price relief.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by YEG Guy
This schedule for certain does not give AC a run for their money.

Lets look by schedule implementation date:
YYC-YXJ/YCD; No current AC service. No yield impact to AC.
YVR-YXJ: Current AC service so this is one small market where WS has new opportunities to compete.
YVR-YYJ, first flight into YVR and last flight out to YYJ does not compare well to AC 12+ daily flights.
YYC-YQR/YXE; all ready has westjet price affected. Also WS is the dominant airline on this route so any price cutting will only cannabalize WS yield much more than AC.
YYC-YQU: Again thus route is all ready served by WS with existing service through YEG. Again WS will not undercut their own yield.
YYC-YEG: is the only route where WS could be seen as putting the boots to AC. However this is also the route where WS is decreasing the most seats as 4/9 flts get downguaged to the Q400. Unitl WS gets to 12 daily flts or better on this route I do not expect any price relief.
I disagree!

In all new markets, both non-stop and connecting, there will be a big impact on yields and pricing! That alone will cause all kinds of grief to competitors just as it did when Westjet expanded one aircraft at a time in its early days.

YYC-YXJ - Makes YYC a far more convenient gateway to all points east of Calgary and even Edmonton. Why fly southwest to Vancouver for 90 minutes when you want to go to Calgary, Winnipeg, Toronto, the maritimes or even the Caribbean?

YVR-YXJ – Other airlines have the frequency, but that’s nothing WJ hasn’t had to deal with before! They started with 2x daily YYC-YVR when AC and CP combined had 30+ a day! All it takes is one “discount” flight a day to turn a route flare structure upside down. We’ve all seen that before!

YCD-YYC - Makes YYC a far more convenient gateway to all points east of Calgary and even Edmonton. This will impact YVR-YCD just as YQQ-YYC changed YQQ-YVR’s situation a decade ago. YCD-YYC is currently $5 more than YCD-YVR!

YVR-YYJ – Having an early morning YYJ-YVR allows WJ the ability to start selling YYJ to all the YVR transborder and international destinations that depart YVR after about 9:30am. Other than a weekly YYJ-HNL flight, WJ has never really seriously competed in the winter Southern Vancouver Island to Hawaii market. It also gives YYJ more convenient access to places like LAX, SFO, PSP, PHX and LAS as all that now flows over Calgary and especially for the California coast markets is not a very good product.

Add this all up, and with just 2 airplanes, I see a great deal of impact in the market!

With an aircraft a month for a couple of years and I see this as cumulatively having as much impact on regional flying in Canada as WJ had on the industry over its first 5 years, but, like WJ, it won’t / can’t happen overnight! People need to be realistic about their expectations! Rome was not built in a day!

Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by TheGreatestX
Really? YYC-DFW? There's already 2 dailies on that route. How about something a little more innovative like YEG-DFW?
It looks like WS might be further deepening their relationship with AA and planning to "take over" YYC-DFW like they did with YYC-ORD...
Old Feb 11, 2013, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Santander
It looks like WS might be further deepening their relationship with AA and planning to "take over" YYC-DFW like they did with YYC-ORD...
Agreed, I think we see their relationship growing very strong, and wouldn't doubt seeing AA partner fully with WS on this route. Gets a great funnel for them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.