Wiki Posts
Search

Satellite TV over US airspace

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
Satellite TV over US airspace

I will be flying to LAS next month. I flew WestJet once before and enjoyed their Bell TV service which was usable for most of the flight (until the decent into LAS). I understand that such service is no longer available in most of the US due to the new spot beams for Canadian Satellites.
Has this taken effect yet?
For flights where the majority if over the US, do they still turn on Sat TV or just force you to watch movies?
Where do you begin loosing service?
Are movies now free?

Thanks!
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by wysiwyg
I will be flying to LAS next month. I flew WestJet once before and enjoyed their Bell TV service which was usable for most of the flight (until the decent into LAS). I understand that such service is no longer available in most of the US due to the new spot beams for Canadian Satellites.
Has this taken effect yet?
For flights where the majority if over the US, do they still turn on Sat TV or just force you to watch movies?
Where do you begin loosing service?
Are movies now free?

Thanks!
This should answer your questions:
http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/trav...tainment.shtml
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: Several
Actually don't count on having entertainment at all. I just did YYC/LAX - 3 hour flight on a beautiful new 737-800 that WestJet bought. The problem is - they are removing the tv's. So as we are boarding the flight they announce - you may want to go buy a magazine as there are no tv's on the new aircraft. Not exactly any shops nearby and great time to tell us as we are boarding. So a 3 hour flight with kids going to Disneyland where whining because they had absolutely nothing to do! They brought ear buds but there was no music or tv's. Talk about a great 3 hour flight staring at a white plastic seatback and listening to kids whining. Time to move back to Air Canada who have free movies.

On the return flight there were tv's and yes - the movies are free but you have to start watching it right away and pick one of the 4 offerings right away as there is no rewinding or pausing.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I saw the official info from the website, but wanted some real feedback. Anyhow I rarely watch programming on flights (mainly AC) and rely on my iPad for shows/movies. I just find live TV cool on flights and really enjoyed it last time in flew Westjet. The flight is on a 737/700 so I'm sure it will still have the TVs, but whether they activate it or not is the million dollar question
Old Oct 31, 2012, 9:11 pm

wysiwyg: I'm not sure why you think "they" will "activate or not". If the aircraft is indeed equipped with TVs, and if they are working, there would be no reason not to activate them.

WestonC: Whatever did families with children do in the days before IFE, laptops, etc!?!? When I was child, we brought along books or toys or cards or coloring or, heaven forbid!!!, homework! Our parents even engaged us in conversation! Do families still do any of this anymore?
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:46 pm

Apparently WestonC hasn't been on many US domestic flights.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YYCguy
wysiwyg: I'm not sure why you think "they" will "activate or not". If the aircraft is indeed equipped with TVs, and if they are working, there would be no reason not to activate them.
Because if the system goes out after 40 mins into the flight, many PAX will ask why and it just cause confusion. If it isn't available for the majority of the flight, they would just choose to deactivate the system. (Something they can control easily, for cases like emergencies to reduce panic on board...)

Anyhow, Vegas is a popular route for Westjet, I'm surprised on how little response I received so far..
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:24 am

Programs: AC
To the OP, even if the system is working, some of the channels may be unavailable.

I guess I'm out of the loop - why are they getting rid of the TV's on newer aircraft?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by wysiwyg
Anyhow, Vegas is a popular route for Westjet, I'm surprised on how little response I received so far..
As of this summer, it was still working the whole way.

Originally Posted by Mavatar
I guess I'm out of the loop - why are they getting rid of the TV's on newer aircraft?
They're getting a new fleet-wide entertainment system (still deciding which one).
Old Nov 1, 2012, 1:44 pm

Just flew on 1485 PSP-YEG and the Movies were free but no TV until we got into Canadian airspace.

I couldn't care less about what might be in the future plans of WestJet but this kind of nonsense is unacceptable and reminiscent of the kind of arrogance that typifies ErrorCanada.

Shame on WestJet.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:49 pm

Trust me, your frustration is felt within the company as well. The flight attendants take the brunt of all the complaints yet it's not their fault. If there's blame to be placed here, blame Bell. It was their decision to change their satellite coverage, and Westjet is currently responding to this in the best way that they can given the circumstances. A fleet wide IFE replacement can't happen overnight, as you can imagine, but I'm sure whatever the new IFE looks like will definitely be better than the LiveTV and the current bandaid solutions are.
Old Nov 1, 2012, 3:55 pm

How much notice was provided by Bell?
Old Nov 1, 2012, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

The new satellite footprint has been known for a while before the satellite even launched. They want to focus the signal over Canada rather than North America in general. It stops the grey market as well.

I'm surprised WestJet never got an agreement with Echostar/DISH Network since they use compatible systems. But likely not allowed for a Canadian-based airline due to our Cancon rules...

I was mainly curious whether the Bell Satellite transition was complete or if some main channels were still on the old sat, meaning that they would still work over most of the flight. Last time I flew to LAS with WestJet, I had TV coverage until over Nevada but that was like 3 years ago. (I generally fly AC)
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:38 am

Blame Bell and the CRTC.

Bell switched satellites making Westjet's near $50m investment in LiveTV at about $500,000 per tail almost instantly obsolete as the signal disappears within about 100 miles of the border.

I would imagine they'll be a lawsuit over this.

The CRTC does not allow Westjet to install equipment to be able to cutover to Dish's signal, which is basically the same equipment as Expressvu.

It's all going away anyway with new technology that didn't even exist when LiveTV was brought on board starting in 2002.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 8:09 pm

Programs: Several
Originally Posted by YYCguy

WestonC: Whatever did families with children do in the days before IFE, laptops, etc!?!? When I was child, we brought along books or toys or cards or coloring or, heaven forbid!!!, homework! Our parents even engaged us in conversation! Do families still do any of this anymore?
Ahhh - true indeed. But when ones marketing is based around free inflight tv then families do not prepare the way they did in the past.

But I certainly do agree with you regarding families engaging with each other - so not the same as in our day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.