Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

WestJet introduces first frequent flyer program partnership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WestJet introduces first frequent flyer program partnership

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2012, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Doing OLCI right now (Aug 5th, 2012) and STILL no place to enter AA Mileage number, will try at SNA tomorrow - assuming at an outstation like SNA zero chance anyone will know what to do.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 3:28 pm

So for a new Westjet flyer, would folks here recommend people sign up with American Airlines instead of Westjet?

I will likely be taking Westjet for 3-4 return trips per year. I don't fly to the US often, though could use AA sparingly. Thoughts?
Old Aug 6, 2012, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Scott Montague
So for a new Westjet flyer, would folks here recommend people sign up with American Airlines instead of Westjet?

I will likely be taking Westjet for 3-4 return trips per year. I don't fly to the US often, though could use AA sparingly. Thoughts?
WestJet Rewards is a very nice rewards program. You get actual $ not some miles that can be devalued at any time. And even if you have only 1 westjet dollar, you can use it towards your next booking (not towards fees and taxes).

Unless you are looking for a higher status on AA and its partners, I would choose Westjet rewards.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:57 am

I know I can get my WJ flown miles added to my AAdvantage account by calling AA and submitting the tickets. However, does anyone know how I can 'validate' my AA Priority Access status with WJ? I am flying out of Chicago and it would be nice to by-pass the lines at the airport with the Priority Access and the additional free bag.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
I don't think that you can get elite benefits on WS, at least not currently. Keep your fingers crossed that WS becomes a full-fledged oneworld member one day.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by sokolov
WestJet Rewards is a very nice rewards program. You get actual $ not some miles that can be devalued at any time. And even if you have only 1 westjet dollar, you can use it towards your next booking (not towards fees and taxes).

Unless you are looking for a higher status on AA and its partners, I would choose Westjet rewards.
Yes, you can use WS Dollars anytime. But you hardly get any at all for a flight. Assuming that you use your AA Miles intelligently (for expensive fares), they are a much better value.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by Gerardo Pulido Perez
I know I can get my WJ flown miles added to my AAdvantage account by calling AA and submitting the tickets. However, does anyone know how I can 'validate' my AA Priority Access status with WJ? I am flying out of Chicago and it would be nice to by-pass the lines at the airport with the Priority Access and the additional free bag.
At WS all customers are treated equally.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:03 am
IJK

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Not only that but.......

Woohooooooo....earn AA miles for WS flights

Earn Miles
Earn miles when flying on WestJet marketed and operated flights for travel on an eligible published fare ticket.

What is an eligible published fare ticket?

Eligible published fare tickets must be:

Booked in a eligible booking code — find the fare booking code by looking for a single letter which immediately follows the flight number on your ticket. Next, compare this booking code against the airline's "Earn Miles" chart below to determine whether or not it is eligible to earn base miles and, at what percentage base miles will be accrued.
On an eligible routing — check the airline's "Earn Miles" chart below to determine if any origin and destinations are excluded from earning base miles.

Valid for flights on/after June 27, 2012

Class of Service Purchased Fares Booked in: Base Miles Class of Service Bonus Miles
Economy Class Y, V, B, Q, L, M, P, G, X, D 100% 0%
Deleted - - missed the part about WJ marketed flights, as opposed to AA marketed codeshares on WJ metal.

Last edited by IJK; Aug 13, 2012 at 12:09 am
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:18 am
IJK

Originally Posted by Scott Montague

Using AA miles for award flights could be dicey, depending on the time of year.
The number of AA miles needed for an award flight could be astronomical.

As previously mentioned, AA elite status has benefits, but WJ marketed flights do not accrue towards the minimum 25,000 miles flown needed for AA elite status.

Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by tracon
At WS all customers are treated equally.
Until 2013 when premium economy or whatever it will be called gets launched.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Does anyone know if we can claim both Westjet dollars and AA miles by submitting boarding passes to AA - or are we restricted to one or the other?
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:47 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
Doing OLCI right now (Aug 5th, 2012) and STILL no place to enter AA Mileage number, will try at SNA tomorrow - assuming at an outstation like SNA zero chance anyone will know what to do.
Meant to post back sooner, but been off FT. SNA contract agents entered my AA number no issues on the record - they said they were trained on entering AA numbers in a record - however still waiting on the miles to post
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
Originally Posted by The Lev
Does anyone know if we can claim both Westjet dollars and AA miles by submitting boarding passes to AA - or are we restricted to one or the other?
Pretty sure you can't double dip.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 7:01 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, DL Gold
Just booked a flight from LGA to YYZ on WestJet. No place to add my AA number in the booking. Called WestJet customer service and asked them to add my AA freq flyer number to the reservation, they told me that they do not give AA miles for flights operated by WestJet. I told her that was in direct contrast to what is on AA's website. Have sent an email to AA's customer service to inquire..... Not sure if it was just the customer service person that was wrong....
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:31 am

What website did you use to book the flight? Whenever I book on westjet.com, I can add my AA number when I enter all my details.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.