Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Security / Connecting / Connections at PHX" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Madone59
Also, there are moving walkway's between terminals, you can cross that airport in no time.
The only moving walkways at PHX are all within T4, none between terminals. It is nearly one mile between the customs exit in T4 to TSA in T2.

Originally Posted by LtKernelPanic
You can take the skytrain to terminal 3 then the covered walkway to T2.
Best answer. ^

After exiting customs into landside terminal, walk towards PHX Skytrain (to the right of concourse C security). I would allow minimum 20 minutes to get from the international exit in T4 to T2 security.

T4 map

T2 map

Skytrain map

Last edited by Tanic; Dec 9, 2015 at 12:27 pm
Old Dec 15, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Thanks everyone, been a while since I been to PHX and never connected, and of course my AA to AS connection is about as far as it gets. For some reason I was thinking the Skytrain was not operational. Cheers ^
Old Feb 21, 2016, 11:02 am

Is one hour enough time to transfer from terminal 4 to 3 at PHX?

i am looking at a flight that would arrive in terminal 4 at 530pm from Mexico (think customs) and a connection leaving at 630pm from terminal 3. Assume no checked bags is it doable? does one have to go through security again? better to walk or take the shuttle or skytrain?

Moderator please move to consolidated phx layover thread thx.

Last edited by GeraldHouse; Feb 21, 2016 at 11:53 am Reason: customs
Old Feb 21, 2016, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
Is your connection on the same ticket as your flight from Mexico? 1 hour is cutting it pretty close assuming no delays even domestic IMHO.

There is no easy way to walk from T4 to T3 and the SkyTrain is land side not air side so you will have to go through security again.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 1:02 pm

Thanks.

Very informative. I will avoid the latter itinerary.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:06 pm

Programs: BA GfL
AA is offering me an itinerary (SEA-PHX-PHL) that involves a 32-minute connection in PHX. I presume that since it's all one ticket, AA thinks this is do-able, but is it really? I would be connecting to the last flight of the day from PHX-PHL, if that means anything. I would also be flying F in row 1, and with carry-on only.

If there were to be a misconnect, any bets on whether AA would put me up in PHX?

I could do different set of flights with a more reasonable connection time, but it would require me to make much more inconvenient logistical arrangements to catch an earlier flight out of SEA. (Note: this trip is constructed as a BA TP run, which is why I am making a connection in PHX at all. I don't want to change the routing.)
Old Mar 30, 2016, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by travelmad478
AA is offering me an itinerary (SEA-PHX-PHL) that involves a 32-minute connection in PHX. I presume that since it's all one ticket, AA thinks this is do-able, but is it really? I would be connecting to the last flight of the day from PHX-PHL, if that means anything. I would also be flying F in row 1, and with carry-on only.

If there were to be a misconnect, any bets on whether AA would put me up in PHX?

I could do different set of flights with a more reasonable connection time, but it would require me to make much more inconvenient logistical arrangements to catch an earlier flight out of SEA. (Note: this trip is constructed as a BA TP run, which is why I am making a connection in PHX at all. I don't want to change the routing.)
I wouldn't. That's one of those "If a butterfly flaps it's wings in the rainforest, you're screwed" type connections. Especially for the last one of the night. Theoretically you could make it, but if anything at all goes wrong (even something as small as finding a ground crew to guide the airplane in or operate the jetway) then you'll spend the night.

I would want at least 50 minutes domestic->domestic.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Lost
I wouldn't. That's one of those "If a butterfly flaps it's wings in the rainforest, you're screwed" type connections. Especially for the last one of the night.
Yes, I agree, although the one saving grace is that I wouldn't be terribly bothered by spending a night in PHX (as long as it was at AA's expense, which I'm not sure about). I'll be on my way home, and I am retired so don't have to be back to work!
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:51 pm

Yes, I agree, although the one saving grace is that I wouldn't be terribly bothered by spending a night in PHX (as long as it was at AA's expense, which I'm not sure about). I'll be on my way home, and I am retired so don't have to be back to work!
Depends where they put you up. Most of the area immediately surrounding the airport is a crime ridden ----. You'd have to go about 5-7 miles from the airport to downtown Phoenix, Tempe, or the Biltmore area to find a hotel in a safer area.

I've never been put up for the night at an airline's expense, but I would assume they would only pay if you missed the connection due to the airline's fault (maintenance, crew issue, etc). They could also reroute you through places like ORD, DFW, CLT, or send you on one of the AA or AS nonstops.

Last edited by Lost; Mar 31, 2016 at 6:59 pm
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:58 pm

Well, I decided to book the earlier set of flights--even that is only a 49-minute connection, but at least there is one later PHX-PHL flight that day, in the event of a mishap. Oddly, AA's pricing on all of these flights forces very tight connections--attempting to give myself any more than a 50-minute connection at PHX in either direction of this itinerary pushed the price up from $969 to more than $2000. This despite the fact that all of the necessary flights, at any time of day, were available at the lower price...but only if they were booked with connections of less than an hour. What the hell?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 7:07 pm

Well, I decided to book the earlier set of flights--even that is only a 49-minute connection, but at least there is one later PHX-PHL flight that day, in the event of a mishap.
That'll work better. At least if you miss the first PHX-PHL, terminal 4 has a fantastic selection of local restaurants to check out ^
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, AAdvantage, Miles & More, Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
I will be making a connection on Southwest in PHX with a layover in Terminal 4 from 10:15am to 12:25pm. My flights will be in concourses C and D, but I would like, if possible, to spend most of the layover in the Admirals Club in concourse B. Does that sound like a reasonable thing to try to do, given that I'll have to exit and re-enter security twice? I do have Pre-Check.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:27 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by AustinExPat
I will be making a connection on Southwest in PHX with a layover in Terminal 4 from 10:15am to 12:25pm. My flights will be in concourses C and D, but I would like, if possible, to spend most of the layover in the Admirals Club in concourse B. Does that sound like a reasonable thing to try to do, given that I'll have to exit and re-enter security twice? I do have Pre-Check.
Very doable. You can even take the moving walkways and remain airside, but it does involve about 10-15 minutes of walking. No need to go groundside.

PHX T4 map
Follow the light blue areas on the map to stay on the moving walkways which are completely airside. Note: there are two concourse Bs and two concourse Cs.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by AustinExPat
You can leaves from security and go to another checkpoint B or you can go through checkpoint A is better. If you are PreCheck. It shouldn't have any problems. If you connecting the flight. Better off not go to SkyTrain station.
Old Dec 11, 2020, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Connection at PHX, re-clear security?

Hi all,

I'm booked to fly SJD-PHX-LAS in a few days time, and at SJD airport I'm wanting to buy some tequila. I'm just wondering if I'll be able to hang onto it as hand luggage right the way through? From what I can tell I'll arrive at the B gates and depart from the A gates.

Failing that, do I have to recheck my luggage in PHX to LAS? In which case once I land in PHX perhaps I can wrap a bottle or two in clothes before I re-check?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.