FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   West (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west-456/)
-   -   [Park partly closed due to floods] "Visiting/traveling to Yellowstone Park" thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west/353356-park-partly-closed-due-floods-visiting-traveling-yellowstone-park-thread.html)

MXS Jan 26, 2008 9:24 pm

Cody (COD) might be another option for an airport. Some friends of mine, that have an 11 and 13 year old boy and girl, flew there last year and spent time in Cody - they mentioned Trail Town or Old Town, Buffalo Bill Museum, and a rodeo. They also went to Thermopolis to visit a Dinosaur Museum and some Hot Pools/water parks. They all loved the entire Yellowstone/Wyo/MT trip.

If price is a concern - you might want to check on how the rental car companies in the area (JAC, BZN, COD, BIL) stack up when it comes to rates.

yorock Jun 30, 2008 8:49 am

Parking outside of Yellowstone?

Does anyone know of a way to leave a car outside of Yellowstone? I am planning a rendezvous near the park and would rather not have to take two cars in unnecessarily. Any suggestion on the east side or westside would be appreciated. Thanks!

TRRed Jul 2, 2008 10:20 am

Don't know of a specific place. Near West Entrance, in West Yellowstone, there is (or at least was) a Yellowstone Visitor center. Possibly give them a call? Near NE entrance I would expect to be the most difficult. Near East entrance, in Cody (check distance to East entrance), you may be able to find something.

However, last summer when I went there, the East entrance (which is where I planned to enter) was closed due to a wildfire in the area. Rerouting through the NE entrance added several hours. Other options would have probably been twice the time. Given that experience, if it were me, I would drive into the Park and then park my vehicle, rather than risking that the particular entrance I needed to return to might be closed.

Biff98 Jul 7, 2008 7:34 pm

West Yellowstone

There are (at least) 3 entrances to the park. If you're entering via West Yellowstone, there's a HUGE gravel parking lot where the IMAX theater is. You can use that. If you're there in the next 3 weeks there are trucking containers there my company is using. I'd stay a little ways away from those due to fork lift loading, etc. But like I said the gravel lot is HUGE, and there's plenty of room for your car. Cheers

-Steve

bocastephen Sep 18, 2008 7:03 pm

RV Trips to Yellowstone - Alternatives to Cruise America

I'm thinking of planning a RV trip to Yellowstone, picking up in SLC around Memorial Day. I've not read many good things about Cruise America or El Monte RV - in fact while visiting Alaska, just about everyone had a RV rental from a company other than Cruise America.

Can anyone recommend a good, reputable, high-quality RV rental shop around SLC that offers RV for Yellowstone trips - or even another city within a fair drive of the park.

swdke Jan 12, 2009 11:52 am

Snowmobile Yellowstone, looking for/need group for March to do Loop

My buddy and I will be in Big Sky skiing from March 5 through March 8, but wish to go snowmobiling in Yellowstone Park for a day to do the Loop (Grand Canyon of Yellowstone and Old Faithful). Looking anyone who would like to join us to reduce cost. I'd like to rent snowmobiles in West Yellowstone, but understand that to go into the Park, you need a guide. Most tours go to either Old Faithful, or the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone, but not both. To do both, this can only be accomplished by having a guide. Guide cost $400 alone, plus rental cost of sleds and cloting. Looking for anyone who may be interested in joining us to form a group to do the Yellowstone Loop which includes the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone, and Old Faithful, and reduce the cost per person for the gudie. Back in the 80's I was able to simply rent a sled and was free to ride where I wanted in the Park. These days, laws have changed and you need a guide. If interested, please let me know and we'll see what we can work out.

CApreppie Jul 16, 2009 11:54 pm

Best route between Yellowstone North Entrance to Glacier National Park?

I am curious what people believe is the best route between the two parks going from Yellowstone to Glacier.

My parents will be towing a trailer with their pickup so nothing too adventurous or back road. We are interested in the sanest and safest way there.

From perusing Google maps, we can either take I90 to Highway 93 north past Kalispell or I15 to Highway 2 west.

Any other suggestions?

luv2buynfly Jul 26, 2009 1:48 pm

I-90 north to Missoula and then north on 93 would be the best route and the most scenic! The drive up around Flathead Lake is really beautiful.
The south entrance to the park past Kalispell is the preferred entrance and probably the most used.

Glacier is beautiful! Good luck!

mbflyflyaway Jul 28, 2009 7:46 am

If you do go around Flathead Lake, I highly recommend the East shore as it's more scenic and less travelled. When you get to Polson on Highway 93, turn right at the first stop light (just past WalMart and Safeway) onto Highway 35. Follow it all the way around the lake for amazing views. After you get past the lake and Bigfork (a very quaint town), proceed until you get to Highway 206 (turn right at the gas station) and then follow the signs into Glacier. Smaller road, but still plenty big for a truck and trailer. Plus, you can stop (if it's in the next month or so) along the way at one of the many cherry orchards to get fresh picked cherries!

-Mike

rmiller774 Sep 9, 2009 9:47 pm

About one week ago we were pursuing lodging at the several Glacier Park Hotels for September 11 to September 18 by telephone with the central reservations location (406)-892-2525. The rate for Many Glacier Hotel was quoted as $142 per night for a Value Room. When we began to ring off on that offer the agent asked "Are you locals?" We advised that we were from Maryland but had visited the park many times. She then offered us a $99 "locals" rate at both Many Glacier Hotel and at the East Glacier Lodge. We accepted 6 days total at these two locations and received a confirmation email. If anyone is going to GNP before the season's end, think about being a "local"- Maybe a time-share owner if pressed but we were not pressed at all.

Sorry that this is a bit off subject.

wendellg85 Nov 2, 2009 12:22 pm

Yellowstone crowds?

Has anyone been to Yellowstone this July? How were the crowds? We are planning a trip next 4th July (this is our only option for dates) and hear that Yellowstone is really crowded in the summer, but of course this is subjective. We have been to many Natl Parks, usually in summer, so are used to the crowds at places like Zion, Grand Canyon... is Yellowstone worse? Thanks!

IK in Seattle Nov 2, 2009 3:53 pm

I worked in Jellystone for a couple of summers during college, and like most parks July and August are the busy months. August is the busiest. The week after Labor Day is by far the best time to go, but it sounds like you are locked into 4th of July week.

A fact they like to throw around is 90% of the people that visit Yellowstone never venture more than 100 yards from a paved road. So if you want to get away from the crowds just get away from the main loop.

wendellg85 Nov 4, 2009 8:53 am

Thanks for your reply and information.

wendellg85 Jan 26, 2010 1:04 pm

Yellowstone/Grand Teton in July

DH and I are planning an 8 night trip to Yellowstone/Grand Teton in July. Looking for advice on how to split up time between the 2 parks. Of course it's personal preference but I'm unsure since I've never been before.

I'm thinking there's going to be a lot more to do/see in YNP so thinking the majority of our time should be there. We do like to hike, but more of short jaunts rather than several hour treks. We also just like to hang out and admire the awesome views, and ranger programs at night are always a winner too.

I'm thinking of 2 or 3 nights in YNP at Canyon Lodge, then 1 night in Cody w/ a trip to the rodeo, then 1 or 2 nights at Jackson Lake Lodge in GTNP, then the remaining nights at Snow Canyon Lodge at YNP.

BTW, I already have these reservations so no worry about availability! :-)

Thanks!

PIONEER Feb 11, 2010 12:37 am

Most important, if you're going to be in the neighborhood, you might want to think about going to Glacier National Park as well. All 3 parks are great.

We enjoy short hikes but not backpacking. After a few days between all three parks, we had seen everything we wanted to see. But there were other people that were having fun doing kayaking and horse back riding in Grand Teton.

Even though we do like the great outdoors, we did miss net access and TV in the evening at some locations.

Have a great trip!