Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

[Park partly closed due to floods] "Visiting/traveling to Yellowstone Park" thread

Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji

National Parks passes
$80 annual pass
$80 senior lifetime pass (62 and older US citizens and permanent residents)
Print Wikipost

[Park partly closed due to floods] "Visiting/traveling to Yellowstone Park" thread

Old Mar 24, 2006, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by faithng
You've got to make reservations at least a year in advance. We were there in June of last year and I think we tried almost everything in the park in Dec/Jan and most everything was booked. Old Faithful Inn was definitely booked. We ended up staying outside the park in Montana.
I definitely made my reservations less than 12 months in advance (but greater than six!). If it's full, keep trying, people cancel all the time!
Old Apr 22, 2006, 1:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Yellowstone Hotels

We are considering a Yellowstone trip this Winter. Any hotel suggestions?
Old Apr 22, 2006, 4:04 pm

Programs: NWA/DL
If you want to stay in Yellowstone, the Old Faithful Lodge is really neat. The public areas are a sight in themselves. YOu have to book early though. If you want to stay outside the park, try Cody or Jackson Hole.
Old Apr 22, 2006, 7:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Thank you!

I will check it out.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 9:45 am

um...several of the entrances are closed during the winter (I thought Jackson was one of them), and most of the roads. You'd best check for when you want to be there, and I'd suggest West Yellowstone motels as a good bet.
Old Apr 23, 2006, 9:50 am

For the record, the only road open to wheeled vehicles during the winter is the north entrance, according to the YNP website.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by sylvia hennesy
For the record, the only road open to wheeled vehicles during the winter is the north entrance, according to the YNP website.
Unless things have changed that road is only open up to Mammoth (about 5 miles into the park). The rest of the entrances are accessed by Snowmobile or Snow Coach. The Snow Lodge at Old Faithful (not the main hotel) and Mammoth are open in the winter.*

*At least that is the way it was a few years ago when I work in the park, I'm not sure if anything has changed.
Old Apr 24, 2006, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by sylvia hennesy
um...several of the entrances are closed during the winter (I thought Jackson was one of them), and most of the roads.
Flagg Ranch is the south (Jackson) entrance.

http://www.flaggranch.com/winter/
Old Apr 24, 2006, 9:36 am

Programs: UA 2.5MM; HH Diamond; Hyatt Platinum; MR Gold
If you really want to experience Yellowstone in the winter, take a look at the Lodging and Learning Programs offered through the Yellowstone Association (www.yellowstoneassociation.org), a non-profit organization that partners with Yellowstone National Park, running the bookstores and providing funds to the park. They offer 2 to 5 day courses that allow you to really delve into the Park in winter. The prices are good values and the instructors are excellent.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 2:37 pm
AGS

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, AAdvantage Platinum
Yellowstone in June from Billings, MT?

We're planning a family (kids 8 and 12) vacation to Yellowstone National Park June 17-23. Originally we had planned on driving from Dayton, Ohio, both to save money and to stop at Mt Rushmore on the way out and some relatives in Denver on the way back. It will be two days' drive to Mt Rushmore and then another to Yellowstone, and three days' drive back through Denver as well.

I was looking at flights into some of the area airports, and found a great fare into Billings, MT, but wanted to make sure that I'm not making a mistake before I book.

Is flying into Billings in mid-June and driving the (roughly) three hours to Yellowstone a good idea? How likely are snowy roads at that time of year?

Any other advice on visiting Yellowstone at that time of year? I realize that it will likely be rainy at least a part of the trip and it may snow some. At this point, I could easily change the dates to later in the season, although I think the crowds could be worse.

Thanks,
AGS
Old Jan 13, 2007, 2:46 pm

Programs: ADL, ACLU, NRA, HRC, NCLR, WBCA
You'll be way before the big crowds. There may be some snow but it should be ok. Yellowstone's website is very helpful http://www.nps.gov/yell/index.htm . BRING WARM COATS. It's really cold at night.

Watch the 8 year old. Sadly, our national parks have been severely underfunded for the past many years, and are getting pretty rundown. We were last at Yellowstone in October and found a lot of the walkways in poor condition, which can be dangerous in thermal areas.

Do you know where you are going to stay? The village of West Yellowstone is nice but fills up. There are cheap motels and cabins and yuppie hotels. I'd recommend the Hibernation Station if it has space (http://www.hibernationstation.com/) There's also an IMAX theatre in case the day is just too rainy.

I'd also suggest a cooler of food. Concessions may be open, but it's very pricey and frankly not very good. Have a picnic and watch out for Yogi :-)
Old Jan 13, 2007, 3:54 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

FT has a West forum. I am moving this thread to that forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 13, 2007, 4:21 pm

I live in the Billings area, and would not worry much about snow by mid-June. There may still be some snow on the sides of the road going up the Beartooth Pass, but they have the roads plowed to open the pass on Memorial Day weekend. It is about an hour to Red Lodge and from there the drive to the park is very scenic!
Old Jan 13, 2007, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
I haven't gone into YSNP through Billings, but I have through Bozeman. If prices are similar, I believe it is a bit closer to YSNP. Several of the majors fly to BZN. Road is 2 lane but was in good condition last time I was on it. There were a lot of flat, open sections so to that passing slower traffic was not a significant problem.

From my experience, summer crowds will have started to build by the time your are planning. Look at the occupancy for the YSNP facilities to get a sense of how crowded the park will be.

There are several other threads in this forum with a lot of discussion and advice on visiting YSNP that you may want to look through if you haven't already.

The suggestion from swei009 about a cooler is a good one. If you do fly into Bozeman, there is a Wal-Mart across the highway from the airport (or at least there was the last time I was there). Stop by, pick up a cooler, ice, and some food (the wood sticks the sell as replacements for mop, etc. handles make good hiking sticks). When you are ready to leave, either check the cooler, ship it back home with some of the extra stuff you picked up along the way, or offer it to a local charity.
Old Jan 13, 2007, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Gold
We did the Northeast entrance after the Beartooth scenic highway last year and found the less-used approach quite nice. "Scenic" is an understatement for the Beartooth highway.

Overnighted in both Red Lodge and Cooke City due to a late night arrival in Billings. Cooke City is small and rustic, but we had a pleasant stay there.

I wouldn't want to do this route with any time pressure.

In prior years, we've come in through Bozeman happily. Any entrance is fine if you miss the crowded months.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.