Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

[Park partly closed due to floods] "Visiting/traveling to Yellowstone Park" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji

National Parks passes
$80 annual pass
$80 senior lifetime pass (62 and older US citizens and permanent residents)
Print Wikipost

[Park partly closed due to floods] "Visiting/traveling to Yellowstone Park" thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sinfonia
I have only three days to see Yellowstone and the Tetons and was thinking of flying in/out of Jackson. I realize three days is nothing and I will barely scratch the surface, but I hoped at least this trip to see Old Faithful/other geysers, Mammoth Hot Springs/Terraces, and the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. My accommodations are with a friend, in Jackson. Is it better to fly into Bozeman and drive into the park, leaving from Jackson? (Or vice versa?) Driving from Jackson up to Mammoth Hot Springs and back down to Jackson that evening seems like a lot of driving, but this is a very last minute trip and I will not be finding accommodations this late in the park, plus I really want to stay with my friend. Thanks.
I did this trip last year and I remember that the drive from Jackson to Yellowstone's south entrance seemed longer than I expected. Then again, that was probably due to having left from Idaho Falls that morning and stopping a fair bit for photos and such.

Anyway, I was still able to find hotel rooms in West Yellowstone last year with a couple of weeks' notice. Is that a possible option for you and your friend? No guarantee that it'll be anywhere near inexpensive but at least it'd be less of a drive to get into the park every day.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:17 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
I have only three days to see Yellowstone and the Tetons and was thinking of flying in/out of Jackson. I realize three days is nothing and I will barely scratch the surface, but I hoped at least this trip to see Old Faithful/other geysers, Mammoth Hot Springs/Terraces, and the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone. My accommodations are with a friend, in Jackson. Is it better to fly into Bozeman and drive into the park, leaving from Jackson? (Or vice versa?) Driving from Jackson up to Mammoth Hot Springs and back down to Jackson that evening seems like a lot of driving, but this is a very last minute trip and I will not be finding accommodations this late in the park, plus I really want to stay with my friend. Thanks.

I've done the drive Jax-Yellowstone, and I think its too long to stay in Jax and visit the park on a day trip, much less 2 or 3 day trips. you'll spend 90% of your time in the car. Remember: each of the legs of the hexagon/square of yellowstone roads takes at least 20 minutes, and can be much more with bear jams, traffic, construction. I woke up in Jackson, hit an overlook at dawn to look for widllife, did hidden falls at Jenny lake, and then headed north and spent a bit in the Old faithful basin as a few geysers were about to blow (guess 3 hours, not sure) and then headed north to my hotel in Gardiner, outside the North entrance (which is my suggestion for you). I am looking at a photo I took on the northbound road between Norris and Mammouth -- its trees silhouetted against a sunset. Thats how long it took to get there. Turning around to go back to Jackson the same day sounds brutal. I wouldn't do it.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
Sinfonia,
If you can work it out to fly into BZN and out of JAX, that would cut down on your driving. First night in Gardiner as ludocdoc mentions would allow you easy access to Mammoth. The Visitor Center at Mammoth should be able to guide you to viable day hikes, given any bear closures, etc. From there you could drive down the east side of the park, past Tower to Canyon. Assuming you can't get a res in the park, go west from Canyon to stay in W. Yellowstone.
The next day, from W. Yellowstone, go by Old Faithful. If you fully walk the trails and boardwalks around OF, you will have walked several miles. If you want more in that area, check out Lone Star Geyser trail for another few hours. Depending on the time, weather, and traffic, you could go by Lake Yellowstone, but probably better to head down toward Jackson for your last night and do some stops in Grand Teton en route.

Don't expect 4-5 star hotels in Gardiner or W. Yellowstone. Most of Yellowstone's restaurants have similar cuisine, and don't expect them to be earning many Michelin stars. Some of those in GTNP may be a bit better.

And don't assume that what rooms are now filled stayed filled. Last summer for the eclipse, I was able to find rooms in YNP a month or two out. Reservations do get cancelled. So if that interests you, check the reservation site periodically (night 2 would be better in OF area).

Good luck!

Last edited by TRRed; Aug 23, 2018 at 3:29 pm Reason: Add greeting.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by TRRed
And don't assume that what rooms are now filled stayed filled. Last summer for the eclipse, I was able to find rooms in YNP a month or two out. Reservations do get cancelled. So if that interests you, check the reservation site periodically (night 2 would be better in OF area).
Don't just check the website; call Xanterra directly. Room cancellations often get rebooked so quickly they never show up as available on the website at all. Calling greatly increases your chances of snagging a room!
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:20 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
driving from Jackson to mammoth will take over 4hrs without stops to see anything. You can’t drive at dark unless you want to hit wildlife.

look at a one way from Bozeman to Jackson with a night in old faithful, canyon,Meir west yellowstone
then second night at Jackson, then next dat at Grand Teton.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by djp98374
look at a one way from Bozeman to Jackson
Commercial airlines don't offer non-stops on that route - you'd fly through Denver or another hub, making the time worse.

FWIW, I would narrow your ambitions unless you can find lodging in the Park one night It's about 2 hours from Jackson to Old Faithful (per Google Maps). I'd do that and then either do the geysers to the NW of Old Faithful or go up to the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone (to the NE) and then turn back. You might be able to do the lower loop and see both if you get up early and get home late, and still have time to hike and walk a bit.

I wouldnt worry too much about driving in the evening, especially south of Yellowstone. Yes, there's the possibility of wildlife, but the road opens up so you just need to be aware.

Last edited by drewguy; Sep 4, 2018 at 9:18 am
Old Sep 4, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by drewguy
Commercial airlines don't offer non-stops on that route - you'd fly through Denver or another hub, making the time worse.

FWIW, I would narrow your ambitions unless you can find lodging in the Park one night It's about 2 hours from Jackson to Old Faithful (per Google Maps). I'd do that and then either do the geysers to the NW of Old Faithful or go up to the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone (to the NE) and then turn back. You might be able to do the lower loop and see both if you get up early and get home late, and still have time to hike and walk a bit.

I wouldnt worry too much about driving in the evening, especially south of Yellowstone. Yes, there's the possibility of wildlife, but the road opens up so you just need to be aware.
im referring to CAR RENTALS not flights
Old Sep 4, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And check car price/availability before booking air..
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Got it!

And agree - look at those prices. They can be really high or really low - indeed, this winter I booked a one-way Jackson->Bozeman that was something like $500 (for a week) in a small car. Checked back a few weeks later and another company and it was $170 for a larger car. All depends on whether they have a car they want to move in the direction you're going.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL
I love flying in and out of JAC, so scenic, and the airport is small enough that is has always been a laid back experience. If you've only got a few days between the two parks, I would spend one day in the Tetons, spent the night at Headwaters Lodge in between the two parks, then spend day 2 on the lower loop in YNP, spent the night in West Y, Gardiner, Cooke City or Cody and do the upper loop on day 3 before returning to JAC for your flight home (after spending a night in the town of Jackson). If that's too much driving for you, and you would like to prioritize quality over quantity - focus on the lower loop in YNP. Between Old Faithful and the other geyser basins, Lake Yellowstone and Canyon, the lower loop has options for days, if not weeks, to explore. Enjoy!
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
We ended up having a family emergency and I had to postpone my trip, and never got around to thanking all of you who weighed in on recommendations for the trip. Based on your recommendations, I have the whole trip planned out perfectly now for when I am able to go - avoiding driving too much in one day and staying much closer. Thanks again!
altabello likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:14 am

We ended up having a family emergency and I had to postpone my trip, and never got around to thanking all of you who weighed in on recommendations for the trip. Based on your recommendations, I have the whole trip planned out perfectly now for when I am able to go - avoiding driving too much in one day and staying much closer. Thanks again!
I am somewhat in a similar situation with regards to trying to figure out if it is worth a quick trip to TNP & GTNP. The plan would be to fly from the east coast to BZN, getting in on a Friday night around 2230h, and then leaving JAC on the Monday around 1530h, leaving us with two full days and a short bit of a third day of Memorial 2019. We would love to spend more time there, but alas we can't for various work-related reasons :-( I realise this is rushed, but do y'all feel it is too rushed and would be better served delaying for another year when we can take additional days off for it? Or do you think we could put in a hike or two (Mount Washburn for example), see the emblematic sites, etc...? Is Memorial Day Weekend a nice time of year to be there? tia!
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by ukinny2000
I am somewhat in a similar situation with regards to trying to figure out if it is worth a quick trip to TNP & GTNP. The plan would be to fly from the east coast to BZN, getting in on a Friday night around 2230h, and then leaving JAC on the Monday around 1530h, leaving us with two full days and a short bit of a third day of Memorial 2019. We would love to spend more time there, but alas we can't for various work-related reasons :-( I realise this is rushed, but do y'all feel it is too rushed and would be better served delaying for another year when we can take additional days off for it? Or do you think we could put in a hike or two (Mount Washburn for example), see the emblematic sites, etc...? Is Memorial Day Weekend a nice time of year to be there? tia!
I hate the idea of flying all the way out there and not doing both parks, but with 2.5 days, I wouldnt try to do both. You'll barely have time to get out of the car. I'd probab;y just do the tetons andJAC, and go back for a full week in Yellowstone later.
ukinny2000 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
ukinny2000,
I agree with ledocdoc's comment to stick with one park for the weekend. And that choice may depend on which airport you can get in and out of. That will likely also save you on a rental car, to return to the same airport. Arriving in BZN that late, just stay near there.

I visited the area around Mem'l Day several years ago. I ran into light snow in both Jackson and Old Faithful area. (and a cool, misty day or two). Due to spring thaw, a number of trails were closed, either due to bridges needed repair or the ground being too soggy or snowy to walk on. Even open trails may have soggy or snowy sections. But I also saw more bears on that trip than I had during other visits, including Moms with small cubs, so keep your camera ready. Most of the bear spottings had rangers nearby to keep people from being stupid (sometimes an impossible task).
Suggestions: A. RT BZN: Friday night near BZN; Sat. & Sun. nights at either Old Faithful or Mammoth (stay same place both nights) or
B. RT JAC: If arriving in time to get to GTNP, look at Jackson Lake or Jenny Lake lodges, or about 10 miles east is Togwotee Lodge.

It might be, but I would not count on Mt. Washburn trail being open. But other trails likely will be, although it is hard to know in advance which ones. If day hiking is a must do, I would look to another location for Mem'l Day. There's too much chance that weather will preclude any long day hikes. But if sight and animal seeing and photography are of interest, then it is an interesting time to be there (misty scenes can make for some very interesting pics).
Finally, if you haven't picked up on it already, DL has service to West Yellowstone starting about that time, in case that is viable. WYS is the closest commercial airport to Old Faithful area.Enjoy!
TRRed
ukinny2000 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:34 pm

I live in Jackson, and agree with TRRed and ludocdoc with one asterisk. Some people are mighty content to drive past the tetons, which takes about an hour, take a picture and say I saw it. If that is you, then yes you can do both parks and I like your path (Bozeman to Jackson).

In my opinion you need 4-5 days minimum for Yellowstone and 2-3 days minimum for Grand Teton, but I hike, a lot. I would never consider coming here for 2.5 days, but if this is once in a lifetime for you, then by all means.

Memorial Day - most hiking (including Mt. Washburn) will still be closed. Hiking will be at low elevation only. All the hikes usually don't open until around July 4th because of snow at elevation. Tetons will certainly be closed, but you could do some hikes on the valley floor, or as high up as some of the canyons allow, maybe 8-9,000'. If it rains it would be rare for more than an hour. Temperature, I'd expect 60's or 70's. There is fantastic road biking that time of year if you're into it.

One thing that continues to amaze me is I live in GTNP for 4 years. I hiked 300 miles last year. I'd say I've done 1/2 the hikes. The depth of Yellowstone/Grand Teton is simply amazing. There is literally 100 places to go, things to do.
ukinny2000 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.