Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

[Park partly closed due to floods] "Visiting/traveling to Yellowstone Park" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2017, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji

National Parks passes
$80 annual pass
$80 senior lifetime pass (62 and older US citizens and permanent residents)
Print Wikipost

[Park partly closed due to floods] "Visiting/traveling to Yellowstone Park" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2013, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Thanks djp98374! Your comments are both timely and useful to me too! ^
Old Apr 14, 2013, 3:39 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by OliverB
Thank you SO much for the detailed response, it's hugely helpful!

To recap a few things that you pointed out...

Regarding Jenny Lake, the appeal is that it is indeed deep inside the Park and well outside of Jackson, which is exactly what we're after. We're looking to escape civilization for a week or two, and surround ourselves in the primeval wilderness of Montana, away from all resorts and touristy areas.

Although you suggest a single night at Jenny Lake, would that afford us enough time to do all of the proposed activities and visit all of the sites that I mentioned above?

Value-aside (I have heard that it's indeed overpriced, but this seems standard for all historic Nat'l Park lodgings) we are very much looking forward to our stay there. We plan to stay at least one full night in Jackson upon our return at the tail end of the trip, but as soon as we fly in, we want to head straight into the Park!
Jenny Lake lodge in all honesty isnt all that remote when it comes to park traffic. Its not like its buried in the wilderness. Its the main park lodge. Similar to Lake Mcdonald in Glacier, Paradise in Rainier, Ahwahnee in Yosemite

i understand park lodging are all high priced. But I think Jenny Lake lodges one of those that is near the extreme of pricing similar to Ahwahnee inYosemite.

Millions visit yellowstone and teton every year so you arent going to necessarily be all that remote.

Jenny Lake lodge is centrally located for what you want to do. As I said if you are looking to do the standard trails that arent the all day 8 hr hikes. I think 3-4 days would be enough.

If you are going to use Jackson as your fly in/out point then you could break it up by doing 3 nights at Jenny Lake then go up to Yellowstone, then 2 nights in Jackson to end. In Jackson you have other resorts you can choose from that are more remote. On the west side of the Tetons there is Driggs and Targhee ski resort area.

Moving on to Yellowstone now...

I've looked over the Park map and am considering a couple of nighs at both Old Faithfull Inn, and in a more rustic Frontier or Roughrider Cabin at Roosevelt Lodge, towards the NorthEast entrance.

Would this work out well in dividing our stay between the North and South portions of the Park? I would also consider staying one night at Lake Lodge as well, if you think that would be enjoyable in allowing us more time to take in all the areas of Yellowstone. What do you think?

I'm not very partial to the more modern hotels like Mammoth, Grant Village, etc. I'm thinking that if we spend a couple of nights in the Roosevelt Lodge area of the Northern Park, we'd be afforded easy access to the Mammoth section of the Park at the North entreance as well, right?
Please stay at Roosevelt/Tower Junction area---At roosevelt you are really close to the Lamar valley so it will be easier to go out for sunrise/sunset wildlife watching. It would be a good base to use for visiting the north part of the park. Its easy to do Mammouth area from there.

what I suggest doing is on either one full day or split it up by doing an overnight in Red lodge and drive out and back on US 212 from tower junction through cooke city to Red lodge.

Now on to the time of year... Would August/September not be late in the season for wildlife viewing and be the busiest time of year due to Labor Day crowds? Would the second week of June still present the possibility of snow and mud on the trails, and would it still be too cold for water activities in the lakes?

I would consider going the second week of August and spending a good week-and-a-half exploring both Parks, but I would just want to make sure that it'd still be prime viewing for wildlife, not too cold in the evenings, and we'd avoid the blackflies and mosquitoes most importantly!

Would you recommend August 14th to the 25th or so?

Is it possible to beat the crowds at this time of year?

Thank you again SO very much for all of your help and in depth feedback, advice and suggestions. I really genuinely appreciate it!

Cheers,
Oliver
Actually Labor Day isnt as busy as July because many kids in the country are back to school by labor day. the crowds are less then.

The times where they may be wildlife migration would be in the winter months. August/September it should be fine.

The 14-25th time should be fine. You will still have people. Maybe not as much as July. In the SE US schools go back around that time of the year.

In mid august it shouldnt be too cold.

Remember its very dry there in the summer. Its not unusual for it to be 80 degree days in the afternoon and overnight it get down to around 40.

Also going later in August over July means later sunrises.

The places I mentioned above, Oxbow bend, and schwebacher get a lot of traffic for sunrise/first light time for photos.

Around august 22 the moon sets early morning so from oxbow and schweibacher you can get pictures of the moon with the mountains early AM.

for your after dark or early AM plans you should bring a jacket or a sweatshirt to wear.

i would try to do Old faithful on a weekend...
http://smasweb.org/?page_id=546

based on the link above in earlier august they have specially monthly astronomy programs and weekend astronomy programs for star gazing. Its run at the nearby campground area midway between west yellowstone and old faithful.

Pereseids meteor show is August 11th and 12th (Sun/Mon)

in 2012 Grand Teton had an astronomy day the weekend of Aug 18/19. they may something similar this year.

i would suggest instead of 14-25 in August to shift it to August 10-21. 20th is a full moon which means early AM moon settings which is cool to see at grand teton. 11/12 is the peresids meteor shower.

In Grand Teton there are two gravel roads you can drive on just with a car. One goes from teton Village into the park and the road to schwebacher. Both are car passable. Schwabacher you do it slow because you are going down hill to the valley below then its flat dirt/gravel to two parking areas for trails.

Last edited by djp98374; Apr 14, 2013 at 6:49 pm
Old Apr 15, 2013, 3:39 pm

Thanks so much for all of your help, djp98374!

How does the following itinerary sound to you:

Aug. 06 - Jackson Hole, WY
The Wort Hotel / Antler Inn / Alpenhof - 1 Night

Aug. 07-08-09 - Grand Teton Nat'l Park, WY
Jenny Lake Lodge - 3 Nights

Aug. 10-11 - Yellowstone Nat'l Park South, WY
Old Faithful Inn - 2 Nights

Aug. 12-13 - Yellowstone Nat'l Park North, WY
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins - 2 Nights

Aug. 14 - Fly out of JAC

I was considering adding Glacier Nat'l Park to this trip and even spent several hours mapping out various driving routes (both scenic drives along the Old Yellowstone Trail Rd up through Helena and towards Choteau via the Old Mountain Toll Road... and also with detours in Livingston, Lewiston, Great Falls, etc) but in the end I think I've decided to save that for a separate trip.

In fact, I may even fly into Chicago with my wife for a weekend and then take the old Empire Builder railroad straight across to Glacier. That sounds like a lot of fun and I'm going to look into that route next!

Thank you once again for all of your valuable help and feedback!
I appreciate it so much!!
Old Apr 15, 2013, 5:49 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Thanks so much for all of your help, djp98374!

How does the following itinerary sound to you:

Aug. 06 - Jackson Hole, WY
The Wort Hotel / Antler Inn / Alpenhof - 1 Night

Aug. 07-08-09 - Grand Teton Nat'l Park, WY
Jenny Lake Lodge - 3 Nights

Aug. 10-11 - Yellowstone Nat'l Park South, WY
Old Faithful Inn - 2 Nights

Aug. 12-13 - Yellowstone Nat'l Park North, WY
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins - 2 Nights

Aug. 14 - Fly out of JAC

I was considering adding Glacier Nat'l Park to this trip and even spent several hours mapping out various driving routes (both scenic drives along the Old Yellowstone Trail Rd up through Helena and towards Choteau via the Old Mountain Toll Road... and also with detours in Livingston, Lewiston, Great Falls, etc) but in the end I think I've decided to save that for a separate trip.

In fact, I may even fly into Chicago with my wife for a weekend and then take the old Empire Builder railroad straight across to Glacier. That sounds like a lot of fun and I'm going to look into that route next!

Thank you once again for all of your valuable help and feedback!
I appreciate it so much!!

It sounds good...the nly concern I have and this s big......

When is your flight on the 14th?

I would suggest buffering it by a day for the 15th, stay a night in Jackson.

Traveling from tower to Jackson would possibly be the longest drive of your trip.
If you drve up from old faithful to Roosevelt via mammoth you haven't explored much the east side of the park.

I'd suggest check out the 14 from tower and do a liesurely drive down the east of yellowstone down to Jackson or cutler bay for the night. Then the next day fly out in the PM so you could do AM back in grand Teton before your flight or do shopping in Jackson.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 6:15 pm

Uuuuggghhh...lost my post......

On glacier, look at traveling to Seattle. You could o the train from there to glacier. You could go back on it or take it to Chicago.

With glacier you should do...1 night in kalispell area. Then 2 nights in lake McDonald, then 3 nights in the many glacier area, 2 nights in the browning/ two medicine lake area, you could add another two in the Canadian side of the park.

Between your stays at McDonald and many glaciers look to stay at the granite park chalet. From Logan pass you hike uphill to granite then stay the night there then walk downhill to many glaciers area. You could leave you car at Logan or st Mary's and take a bus from many glaciers to st Mary's to your car or the bus to Logan pass for your car there.

I'd also suggest spending a couple days outside the pak in chouteau, great falls, and the bob Marshall wilderness area between Missoula and kalispell south of. Glacier.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by djp98374
It sounds good...the nly concern I have and this s big......

When is your flight on the 14th?

I would suggest buffering it by a day for the 15th, stay a night in Jackson.

Traveling from tower to Jackson would possibly be the longest drive of your trip.
If you drve up from old faithful to Roosevelt via mammoth you haven't explored much the east side of the park.

I'd suggest check out the 14 from tower and do a liesurely drive down the east of yellowstone down to Jackson or cutler bay for the night. Then the next day fly out in the PM so you could do AM back in grand Teton before your flight or do shopping in Jackson.

Thanks so much!

I had mapped out the drive on Google and was surprised to see that it was approx. 2 hrs, which seemed very short. I guess that must be wrong! What would your estimation be between the North Eastern entrance of Yellowstone and JAC?

I think what I'll do is either book a single night at either the Wort or Antler Inn upon arrival in Jackson Hole, and then a single night at The Alpenhof before flying out.

The Alpenhof is in the resort area of Jackson Village which seems to be about 20 mins. or so outside of the city proper. Do you suppose we should plan to stay here upon arriving and at either the Wort or Antler Inn the night before leaving, or is it such a short drive that it shouldn't matter much.

I'm a bit confused about the second part of your response concerning Tower because I'm not all that familiar with the various routes beyond what mapping I've done online with Google and the Nat'l Parks website. When you refer to Tower, are you speaking of the Falls? If not, what is Tower and where is the 14 in relation? Would that be along the E. Entrance Road / US 20 W around the other side of Yellowstone Lake and along the N Fork Hwy?

Do you suggest that we circle back around the entire Eastern portion of the Park via the 120? From looking at Google Maps, it would seem that most of that would be highway driving and would take almost 8 hours, no?

Should we just drive part way along the E. Entrance Road circling Mary Bay and towards Lake Butte and Grizzly Peak, and then turn around and head back to Jackson Hole via the Grand Loop, and if so, do you recommend taking the 89 or 120 for the most scenic drive? I suppose we'll have already explored both routes between the Southern and Northern sections of the Park, but I'm curious on which you think is the nicer drive?

And thanks so much for your many recomendations on Glacier as well! I'll respond to those shortly as I'm still coordinating and planning that trip, but I will write back shortly, once I have it figured out.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:15 pm

Thanks so much!

I had mapped out the drive on Google and was surprised to see that it was approx. 2 hrs, which seemed very short. I guess that must be wrong! What would your estimation be between the North Eastern entrance of Yellowstone and JAC?

I think what I'll do is either book a single night at either the Wort or Antler Inn upon arrival in Jackson Hole, and then a single night at The Alpenhof before flying out.

I have stayed at the Antler, not stayed at wort but know where it is. Both are decent places.

The drive from Roosevelt to the airport i would put it at more like 3 hrs of not longer because of speed limits, other traffic, you stop in case you see animals. and take pics.

More stops would add more.

In grand teton the speed limit on the main road is in spots 55 and in other spots in around 40, in yellowstone some spots there are around 30 or 40. Then you have the various stops and one lane of traffic each way.

The Alpenhof is in the resort area of Jackson Village which seems to be about 20 mins. or so outside of the city proper. Do you suppose we should plan to stay here upon arriving and at either the Wort or Antler Inn the night before leaving, or is it such a short drive that it shouldn't matter much.

I'm a bit confused about the second part of your response concerning Tower because I'm not all that familiar with the various routes beyond what mapping I've done online with Google and the Nat'l Parks website. When you refer to Tower, are you speaking of the Falls? If not, what is Tower and where is the 14 in relation? Would that be along the E. Entrance Road / US 20 W around the other side of Yellowstone Lake and along the N Fork Hwy?
Alpenhoff is in the ski area part of Jackson. Its fine doing one night there and then the final night of your trip in Jackson city proper at Antler or Wort.

Jackson proper has a bunch of shops and stores. When staying in Grand Teton you could easily come into Jackson or teton Village for lunch/dinner.

http://www.yellowstone-lodging.com/m...ic_drives.html

hopefuly above works

with yellowstone you basically have a figure 8 shape of park roads. Old faithfull is in the bottom left corner, tower is in the top right.

Roosevelt/Tower Junction are the same location tower junction marks the intersection and roosevelt lodging is at that intersection.

im thinking in your drive through the park when you are at old faithfull you could explore that area, west yellowstone, Grant, and part of the lake.

then the day you change hotels to Roosevelt you would drive up to Mammouth hotsprings along the western side of the park roads. By there for the day, then to the hotel in the evening.

when in roosevelt you would focus on Tower/Cooke City/US 212, Mammouth, and Canyon village.

Then your way back to Jackson you would ecplore the are of south of canyon village and along lake yellowstone.

Do you suggest that we circle back around the entire Eastern portion of the Park via the 120? From looking at Google Maps, it would seem that most of that would be highway driving and would take almost 8 hours, no?

Should we just drive part way along the E. Entrance Road circling Mary Bay and towards Lake Butte and Grizzly Peak, and then turn around and head back to Jackson Hole via the Grand Loop, and if so, do you recommend taking the 89 or 120 for the most scenic drive? I suppose we'll have already explored both routes between the Southern and Northern sections of the Park, but I'm curious on which you think is the nicer drive?

And thanks so much for your many recomendations on Glacier as well! I'll respond to those shortly as I'm still coordinating and planning that trip, but I will write back shortly, once I have it figured out.
I am not suggesting do the long road through Cody. Though you could do it.

what I sugest you do explore is US 212 where you go through lamar valley then climb out of the park up to tree line and up to 11,000+ feet pass level.

I would suggest the day you change hotels from Old faithful to roosevelt you take an extra day and drive to red lodge for the night and then drive back the next AM then stay at tower/Roosevelt.

US 212 is on the top 5 list of prettiest/most scenic roadways in the country.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:20 pm

I am thinking you go

jackson-grant village-old faithful

Madison-Norris-Mamouth-Tower/roosevelt

tower/rossevelt-canyon village-fishing bridge-grant-jackson

while in old faithful and roosevelt you are focusing in on those areas where old faithful you would go up to w yellowstone and Madison and then to Grant and yellowstone lake to the south

When in roosevelt/Tower you would explore Mamouth/Lamar Valley, and down to Canyon village and then explore as a side trip US 212 at least up to the pass level above tree line.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:31 am

You have been such a huge help and that scenic byways site is great!!

Thank you again for taking the time to explain everything to me in such detail, I'm really excited for this trip and feel so much better prepared now!

Here is a copy/paste of the final itinerary with an added night at Red Lodge, just so that we can drive along the scenic route from the Old Faithful area to Cody and then up to the 212 to Red Lodge.

Let me know your thoughts on this final itinerary - and thank you again!!!!

* Wed, Aug. 06 (2014)

* Thu, Aug. 07 (2014)

* Fri, Aug. 08 (2014)

* Sat, Aug. 09 (2014)

* Sun, Aug. 10 (2014)

* Mon, Aug. 11 (2014)

* Tue, Aug. 12 (2014)

* Wed, Aug. 13 (2014)

* Thu, Aug. 14 (2014)

* Fri, Aug. 15 (2014)

• Connecting Flight into (JAC) Jackson Hole Airport

• Intermediate SUV Rental, Priceline

• Departure from (JAC) Jackson Hole Airport

================================================== ================================================== ===============================>>
================================================== ================================================== ===============================>>

JACKSON HOLE

>> The Wort Hotel - Deluxe King Room [OR] Antler Inn Motel - Cedar Room - (1 Night)

ACTIVITIES
----------

• Explore Old Town Square

Dining
------

• Sweetwater Restaurant (Dinner)

GRAND TETON NATIONAL PARK

>> Jenny Lake Lodge - Water Lilly Cabin Suite - (3 Nights)

ACTIVITIES
----------

• Early Morning Hike on Teton Crest Trail

• Wildlife Viewing in the Gros Ventre Range

• Hiking in the Lupine Meadows

• Sunrise Float down the Snake River

• Afternoon Trail Hiking, Swimming, Canoeing, and Picnic Lunch at Jackson Lake

• Oxbow Bend and Signal Mountain at Dawn

• Hike the Death Canyon Trailhead

• Cascade Canyon, Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point

• Scenic Drive along Teton Park Road

• Sunset Drive along the Rolling Plains of Antelope Flats

Dining
------

• Old Faithful Inn Room Service (Breakfast)

• Old Faithful Lodge Cafeteria (Brunch/Lunch)

• Hamilton's Store (Lunch)

• Old Faithful Inn Dining Room (Dinner/Breakfast)

• Lake Lodge (Dinner/Breakfast)

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK - SOUTHWEST

>> Old Faithful Inn - Suite 3014 - (2 Nights)

ACTIVITIES
----------

• Early Morning Ranger Led Walk through Upper Geyser Basin:

* Old Faithful
* Artemisia Geyser
* Morning Glory Pool
* Riverside Geyser
* Spa Geyser
* Rocket Geyser
* Grotto Geyser
* Daisy Geyser
* Comet Geyser
* Splendid Geyser
* Punchbowl Geyser
* Mastiff Geyser
* Giant Geyser
* Oblong Geyser
* Beauty Pool
* Turban Geyser
* Grand Geyser
* Spasmodic Geyser
* Sawmill Geyser
* Crested Pool
* Castle Geyser
* Lion Group
* Ear Spring
* Aurum Geyser
* Doublet Pool
* Pump Geyser
* Sponge Geyser
* Giantess Geyser
* Heart Spring
* Depression Geyser
* Beehive Geyser
* Plume Geyser
* Anemone Geyser
* Blue Star Spring
* Chinaman Spring
* Lone Star Geyser

• Tour of Black Sand Basin:

* Opalescent Pool
* Spouter Geyser
* Cliff Geyser
* Emerald Pool
* Rainbow Pool
* Sunset Lake

• Tour of Midway Geyser Basin:

* Grand Prismatic Spring
* Excelsior Geyser
* Turquoise Pool

• Early Morning Tour of Lower Geyser Basin:

* Queen's Laundry & Sentinel Meadows
* Sentinel Cone
* Ojo Caliente
* Pocket Basin Mud Pots
* Imperial Geyser
* Spray Geyser
* Octopus Spring
* Great Fountain Geyser
* White Dome Geyser
* Pink Cone Geyser
* Bead Geyser
* Narcissus Geyser
* Steady Geyser
* Silex Spring
* Fountain Paint Pot
* Fountain Geyser
* Clepsydra Geyser
* Jelly Geyser

• Morning Swim in Firehole River

• Scenic Drive through the Upper Loop

Dining
------

• Old Faithful Inn Room Service (Breakfast)

• Old Faithful Lodge Cafeteria (Brunch/Lunch)

• Hamilton's Store (Lunch)

• Old Faithful Inn Dining Room (Dinner/Breakfast)

• Lake Lodge (Dinner/Breakfast)

• Old Faithful Observation Deck (Cocktails)

RED LODGE
_________
_________

>> Yodeler Motel - Upper Level King - (1 Night)

DRIVING DIRECTIONS FROM WEST YELLOWSTONE
----------------------------------------

1. Follow Grand Loop Rd / US-20 E around Yellowstone Lake towards Cody

2. Turn onto WY-120 W to State Hwy 296 / Chief Joseph Hwy

3. Continue on Crandall / Dead Indian Hill to Sunlight Basin Rd

4. Turn Right onto US-12 E / Bear Tooth Pass Hwy

5. Continue to Red Lodge

ACTIVITIES
----------

• Scenic Drive along the Buffalo Bill Cody Scenic Byway (Grand Loop Rd to US-14/16/20 E) through The Shoshone National Forest and Buffalo Bill State Park:

* Visit Wapiti Ranger Station (Oldest U.S. Forest Service Ranger Station, 1903)
* Explore the Old West Town of Cody and Buffalo Bill Historical Center
* Visit Pahaska Tepee Historic Lodge

• Scenic Drive along the Chief Joseph Highway from Cody to Crandall:

* Wildlife Viewing at Two Dot Flats
* Dead Indian Summit Overlook
* Sunlight Creek Bridge
* Panoramic View of Cathedral Cliffs

• Scenic Drive along Beartooth Highway (US-212 W)

Dining
------

• Cassie's Supper Club - (Cody)

• Irma Grill - (Cody)

• Proud Cut Saloon - (Cody)

• The Lodgepole Room and Teepee Tavern - (Cody)

• Regis Grocery / Cafe Regis - (Red Lodge)

• Red Lodge Cafe - (Red Lodge)

• City Bakery - (Red Lodge)

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK - NORTHEAST

>> Roosevelt Lodge Cabins - Frontier Cabin - (2 Nights)

ACTIVITIES
----------

• Early Morning Wildlife Viewing along Madison Junction Route:

* National Park Mountain
* Madison River
* Mount Haynes

• Norris Geyser Basin:

* Roaring Mountain
* Cinder Pool
* Valentine Geyser
* Ledge Geyser
* Porcelain Terrace Springs
* Africa Geyser
* Whirligig Geyser
* Steamboat Geyser
* Cistern Spring
* Echinus Geyser
* Vixen Geyser
* Porkchop Geyser
* Back Basin trail

• Mammoth Hot Springs via Tower Junction:

* Liberty Cap
* Opal Terrace
* Minerva Spring and Terrace
* Orange Spring Mound
* New Highland Spring
* Canary Spring and Terrace
* Gardner River and Canyon

• Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone - (North Rim Drive to Artist Point)

* Lower Falls
* The Red Rock Trail
* Crystal Falls
* Inspiration Point

• Early Morning Swim in Boiling River

• Wolf Sightings in The Lamar Valley at Dusk / Dawn

• Scenic Drive through the Upper Loop

Dining
------

• Outdoor Picnic (Brunch/Lunch)

• Roosevelt Lodge Dining Room (Dinner/Breakfast)

• Trail Ride to Chuck Wagon / Roosevelt Old West Dinner Cookout (Dinner/Breakfast) - ?

JACKSON VILLAGE / JACKSON HOLE

>> Alpenhof Lodge - Bavarian King [OR] The Wort Hotel - Deluxe King Room [OR] Antler Inn Motel - Cedar Room - (1 Night)
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:33 am

Also, would you say that it's safe to drive off the paved roadways into the mountains around the park or are the unpaved roads in rough shape and it's not worth the risk?
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:04 am

Also, would you say that it's safe to drive off the paved roadways into the mountains around the park or are the unpaved roads in rough shape and it's not worth the risk?
Ill respond to your post up above later.....

With unpaved roads....

In Grand Teton there are two

One is from Teton Village into the park---it should be car friendly.

the other is the road from the main road (89) into schwabacher...its a dirt road where the drop is then it turns into a gravel road. It is car passable. You just need to do it slow when going down and up the hill because of the bumps. Like driving over a bunch of speed bumps.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/3...VE.html?pg=all

http://www.travelchannel.com/interes...rtooth-highway

Last edited by djp98374; Apr 16, 2013 at 9:17 am
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:27 pm

Your itinerary seems fine......

A couple of notes of it....

1. Buy an $80 national park pass. Buying it in August will make it good through August 2014. It would cover next summers trip to Glacier. If you do Teton then Yellowstone, then teton if you buy just the park pass which is good for 7 days it will expire if you try to use it when you go back to Jackson.

2. Grand Teton---MUST DO Schwebacher in the AM (around 10am). with both Ox Bow and there you can return in the evening/dusk tpo watch for wildlife that can be found.

With roads---only two are unpaved. the road from Teton village into the park is not paved and the road to schwabacher is also not paved but both are car passable.

3. The side trip from Old faithful to red lodge. I am not sure the route you have. In the AM leave Old faithful , drive by Yellowstone lake on to Cody, stop in Codey for a few hours for lunch and explore, then to red lodge. Normalyl you would take chief joseph highway to US 212 then take US 212 to Red Lodge. the trip is about 4 hrs (including stops for pictures and seeing wildlife). thus to do this you should leave Cody by 4pm. Dont do it if you leave at 6pm. Take the alternate way to Red Lodge i mention below.

i figure you could drive to cody in the AM and have lunch and explore Cody in the mid afternoon then drive this in the PM. If you stay in Cody longer there is an alternate route you could take WY 120 north cross into MT where it changed to MT 72 then turn on MT 308 to Red Lodge (about an hr or so drive). Then in the AM you could drive 212 into WY then take chief joseph out and back (2 hr side trip) then come back to 212 and continue to Cooke City and then into Yellowstone and tower Junction/Roosevelt.

with the roads in the national forest. be careful. Many of the national forest roads are poor quality and GPS systems arent too accurate. Its easy to get lost by making a wrong turn. You need to have a map with you. In this area cell phone signals are nonexistant, you may get GPS coverage.Somne of the roads are fine, others are a crapshoot because you dont know if they are paved or gravel or what else. If you go off the main road to see something make sure its a well defined site or landmark were there is good signage.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:17 pm

Thanks so much again for all of your help!

The route you mention above is indeed the one I had mapped as well, and I definitely intend to do the 212 scenic byway in early afternoon while it's still light, after exploring and eating in Cody.

You've been a huge help!!

Once I have my Glacier Trip planned out, I hope to run it by your for more advice and suggestions as well. Thanks again!!!
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:26 pm

We're looking to escape civilization for a week or two, and surround ourselves in the primeval wilderness of Montana, away from all resorts and touristy areas.

You aren't going to get that at Jenny Lake (which, by the way, isn't in Montana), nor are you going to get much of that in Yellowstone itself (which, by the way, the majority of which isn't in Montana).

If you want remote and primeval Montana wilderness, and you want a National Park experience, go to Glacier and get lost around that area. You could easily spend a week or so traversing through the wilderness along the US-Canada border and you probably wouldn't see more than 10 people. If you want to ditch the National Park experience, go to Libby and get lost around there.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 3:32 pm

Thanks so much again for all of your help!

The route you mention above is indeed the one I had mapped as well, and I definitely intend to do the 212 scenic byway in early afternoon while it's still light, after exploring and eating in Cody.

You've been a huge help!!

Once I have my Glacier Trip planned out, I hope to run it by your for more advice and suggestions as well. Thanks again!!!
Remember when leaving Cody---leave by 4pm---and---to fill the tank. this would be the longest drive you will be on without gas stations.

Just another rememinder---make sure you are hydrated. Your first day there dont try to kill yourself with higher climbing long hikes. Do short flat ones. A good day for Ox Bow, Jenny Lake trail, and schwabacher. all are flat with little elevation gain. You need to adjust to higher altitudes. The only day you could experience altitude sickness is when you do the beartooth highway when you get above 8,500 feet. You may feel quesy even when driving---drink water that day.

With yellowstone---on the west side(old faithful, Mammouth) where most of the geyers/pots are you cant wander on your own off trail. Think of the ground like a fruit pie top crust it may look solid but when you step you could sink into something. A lot oif the trails are board planks. the east side near Roosevelt and Lamar Valley the ground is more solid. You can easily walk on your own off trails.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.