Reload this Page >

Cafes offering Plate lunch near HNL?

Old Nov 3, 02, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: statusless these days

I have a 6 hour layover at HNL in January. Just curious if anyone knows of a cafeteria offering plate lunches within wlaking distance of the terminal?
Old Nov 4, 02, 9:10 am
Original Member

Programs: CO Gold, AA Gold, HH Diamond, IC Plat Ambassador
Altho not quite walking distance -- but maybe with 6 hours!

Byron's Drive-In. About a 3 minute taxi ride. Long ago when I worked at HNL, we used to go there almost every nite for plate lunch. My fav is still the beef curry.

During the PiP, Anna, auh2o, raeban and I just had to stop by. After 20 years, still the best!
Old Nov 4, 02, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: statusless these days
Thanks. I will look for it. I seem to remember reading somewhere that there was a cafeteria outside the terminal buildings but within the airport that the airport workers go to eat at.

Maybe I'll take the bus to Sam Choy's on Nimitz Highway and have a plate lunch there.
Old Dec 8, 03, 9:16 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA PlatPro, SPG/Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Spire/Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
There is also an L&L Drive Inn located a few minutes by cab as well from Honolulu Airport (HNL)

L&L Drive Inn, 550 Paiea St., 808.839.1111
Old Jan 3, 04, 10:55 am

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by terenz:
Maybe I'll take the bus to Sam Choy's on Nimitz Highway and have a plate lunch there.</font>
The last time I ate at Sam Choy's I was very, very, very, very disappointed. IMHO it's a shadow of what it was the first year it was open. My all-time favorite is Masu's Massive Plate Lunch at 1808 Liliha Street- Corner of Liliha & Kuakini (Ewa-Mauka Corner).
Old Jan 6, 04, 7:24 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AA PlatPro, SPG/Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Spire/Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by terenz:
cafeteria offering plate lunches within wlaking distance of the terminal?</font>
w/in walking distance is the tough part. We just stayed at a hotel that was only 3/4 of a mile away from HNL, but not really walking.

A possible idea is to take the Alamo rent a car shuttle to their lot (& of course back). Along Nimitz HWY there are more than a few plate lunch places. I meant to copy down some names when I was there but time got the better of me.

Search this Thread