Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Sedona AZ - questions, advice, recommendations" thread

Consolidated "Sedona AZ - questions, advice, recommendations" thread

Old Jun 21, 2006, 9:52 am
NNH

Location: LA, after growing up in London and living all over Europe
Programs: Ex-BD, ex-NW, ex-AA, BA Gold
I recommend visting the Chapel of the Holy Cross, on the outskirts of the town. Whatever your personal beliefs, the building and setting are remarkable. Image
Old Jun 23, 2006, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by AZ_MISMAN
...BUT NOT RIGHT NOW.

The Brins Fire is burning in Oak Creek Canyon, which is in the Sedona area. Last map I saw put it quite close to Slide Rock.

As a survivor of the Rodeo-Chedeski fire, I can tell you that, regardless of what the Sedona CofC tells you, you don't want to be in the area. Though the fire will probably not spread into the red rock area, the smoke is very thick; the air quality is considered unhealthful according to reports. Please visit after the fire is out; though Sedona is not my favorite place in Arizona, it is beautiful.
Thanks for the update. We are planning to visit mid July, staying at the Hilton resort, but are now quite concerned about the fire, smoke, heat, etc .
Guess I need to call the hotel to find out for sure, although I'm sure that
they would tell me otherwise.
Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by ExtrAAordinaire
The surroundings are beautiful, but the town itself is very touristy.
Touristy? I was there in April, 2006 (last visit November, 1984) and thought it outdid Daytona Beach and Panama City Beach for tackiness.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 12:50 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by faithng
Thanks for the update. We are planning to visit mid July, staying at the Hilton resort, but are now quite concerned about the fire, smoke, heat, etc .
Guess I need to call the hotel to find out for sure, although I'm sure that
they would tell me otherwise.
Check the following web sites for more Brins Fire information than the hotel or chamber of commerce will likely give you:

http://www.inciweb.org/incident/258/
http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coconino/fir...06/index.shtml

Judging from the following comment in today's incident report, I might look carefully at my vacation plans if I were going to Sedona in the next week.

"Residents and visitors in the Sedona and Verde Valley areas may continue to see large quantities of smoke over the next few days resulting from additional burnout operations. Emergency measures are in place to notify the public should there be any concerns for residents. The Arizona Department of Environmental Quality continues to monitor air quality on a daily basis. Smoke-related inversions should lift around 9:00 am each day."
Old Jun 27, 2006, 1:53 pm

Thanks BLI_Flyer for your info and help. I'm thinking that we will have to cancel the trip. Unfortunately that means we will have to quickly come up with alternative plans to replace the Sedona trip.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 2:36 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
...It was the late 80's when I last visited Jerome. Is it touristy and isit worth it for kids, and how far from Sedona?
Jerome is less than an hour drive from Sedona and well worth the trip. It is still a small town but no longer deserted and I suppose it is touristy in the sense that all businesses in the town depend upon tourism, but it isn't obnoxious and rather nice. There are maybe a dozen restaurants and art galleries now. Neat town, and no kid can resist a town where the jail slid down the hill and is now on the other side of the road.

If you decide to cancel staying in Sedona, you could still stay in Jerome (or at the bottom of the hill). Another nice alternative is Canyon De Chelly though its over by the NM border.
Old Jun 27, 2006, 3:49 pm

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Thanks BLI_Flyer for your info and help. I'm thinking that we will have to cancel the trip. Unfortunately that means we will have to quickly come up with alternative plans to replace the Sedona trip.
The evacuees are returning to their homes today (or are supposed to.) Should be ok by mid-July.

Living in the White Mountains in eastern Arizona, we had a larger than normal influx of visitors over the past weekend as folks are avoiding the "easy" destinations due to the fire. You'd be welcome to head our way. Heck, if you're around on 7/15, you can enjoy our Barbershop Harmony show
Old Jun 29, 2006, 7:15 pm
Original Member

Saw a story on the web that Sedona is back to normal now but they are worried that the normally jammed July 4 weekend will not be so busy this year. Hwy 89A is open but restricted.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:37 am

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Yes. Last report is that the fire is 100% contained, but not out. Still some smoke in the area.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 9:14 am

Can anyone in the Sedona area give us an honest assessment of the fire?
We are due to visit on the 13th and really can't have smoke problems as
will have a child with us that's smoke sensitive.
Thanks.
Old Jul 3, 2006, 8:54 pm
Original Member

It is impossible to predict the smoke situation even a day ahead. The fire risk is still very high and new fires will start every week ... whether they will affect Sedona is unpredictable. The current fire will not be producing smoke that affects Sedona.

When smoke is present it varies from smoke visible in the distance with no degradation of air quality, to something worse than that. This is a risk every year, and this year is not particularly worse than the past decade (despite an extended drought). Los Angeles has had worse fires than Sedona, to put it into perspective. Remember the Oakland fire of a decade ago? That almost reached SF Bay, despite having an urban fire force fighting it and lots of high-tech assistance. Fires are just part of life west of the Mississippi and if you need to avoid smoke then that is a problem.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 9:10 am
Original Member

Slide Rock was re-opened today, so things are getting back to normal in the Sedona area.
Old Jul 15, 2006, 7:23 am

Programs: AA
My kids, ages 3 and 5 at the time, enjoyed the heck out of Sedona last year (and so did the grownups). www.travelerstogo.com featured Northern Arizona as their Destination of the Month recently, with lots of links, pictures, and first hand info: http://p104.ezboard.com/feuropetogof...icID=270.topic
Old Dec 2, 2006, 12:30 am

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Sedona, AZ

Anyone very familiar with the rocks in Sedona? I need some information on places I can drive to like Schnebly Hill Road.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 6:06 am

Programs: QFF (Gold), Skywards, Rapid Rewards,United, Velocity, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Anyone very familiar with the rocks in Sedona? I need some information on places I can drive to like Schnebly Hill Road.
There are lots of rocks there at least when I was there 4 weeks ago

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.