Reload this Page >

Denver advice - area around Comfort Inn Denver Central / Copeland Lake

Old Sep 12, 2022, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: Grounded ex-Flyer

Dear all,

My senior relatives will soon overnight at the Comfort Inn Denver Central (401 E 58th Ave) on a first-ever trip to the USA from Europe.

I would like to advise on a dinner / drinks place nearby, ideally within walking distance as they will be exhausted after transatlatic journey.

1) what is the area like regards personal safety ? Can they plan to safely walk around, say within a mile around the hotel ? Or where NOT to go ?
They won't be carrying anything specially valuable, but they are not accustomed to big US cities and speak only modest English.

2) and what about places to go ? Any recommendations for a bite (american classics - burgers, ribs, wings, etc.) and a beer ?
River North brewery looks nice but it doesn't look like they serve food ?!?

Thank you very much in advance !!

J-
Old Sep 12, 2022, 11:42 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by JudgeJ
My senior relatives will soon overnight at the Comfort Inn Denver Central (401 E 58th Ave) on a first-ever trip to the USA from Europe.
This hotel is in a sparsely populated industrial area several miles away from the central business district. I don't know about the quality of the hotel, but they would definitely need a car to stay here. There is only poor public transportation to the hotel and the surrounding area is not walkable at night.

Perhaps one of the many hotels in the vicinity of DEN would be more appropriate to unwind after a long trip, safer area, and many have free shuttle buses.
JudgeJ likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the valuable feedback !

Changing hotel is not an option, as they travel with a group. But I will let them know that they should not wander around the hotel.

I will continue my search for a nice dinner place - except with a taxi ride now ;-)

Thanks again.
Old Sep 13, 2022, 12:25 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Thank you for the valuable feedback !

Changing hotel is not an option, as they travel with a group. But I will let them know that they should not wander around the hotel.

I will continue my search for a nice dinner place - except with a taxi ride now ;-)

Thanks again.
for the airport there are two airport hotel on rmtrated areas

tower road is one.

herr therr are some but theyare sporadic out. The double tree has a restaurant on site. E Massey and Hilton also have restaurants on site. DEN airport has a Westin iirc at the airport

the other is a little farther away along E40th

there is a courtyard and Hilton garden inn close to a few restaurant that are sit down ( outback, a grill place.

both have airport shuttles. The issue is being close toa restaurant.

Most airport car rental facility are off the main airport by shuttles.

the other option is taking the light rail to downtown area of Denver
JudgeJ likes this.

Last edited by djp98374; Sep 13, 2022 at 12:32 pm
Old Sep 13, 2022, 9:03 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Now that your relatives will be riding to dinner they should download Lyft and Uber apps to arrange transportation, and go to LoDo (Lower Downtown) area of central Denver. The ride will cost about US$12 and take 15 minutes. There are hundreds of good restaurants in LoDo and it is well populated at night. Or perhaps send them to Taste of Denmark
Old Sep 14, 2022, 4:07 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by djp98374
for the airport there are two airport hotel on rmtrated areas

tower road is one.
Indeed that's the nearest area to the airport which has hotels, and which is both safe to walk and has some dining facilities. Denver Airport is on the edge of the built-up area, but somewhat adrift from the rest of the city. Many of the roads leading to DEN may have hotels on them but they are isolated and not safe to walk around (and no-where really to walk to either). These hotels assumed that people were arriving or departing in their cars or rental vehicle - clearly not the case from post 1.

However there are a few exceptions to that, including Tower Road where there are a few hotels and a few restaurants, but kind of big gaps between them. These are the lower-spec hotels, Courtyard Marriott, Residence Inn, Hampton, so not really reliable for evening dining in the hotel. So this is the top / northern part of Green Valley Ranch, where there's a small residential zone relatively and unusually close to the airport. Upshot is that it's reasonably safe to walk around and there are a few dining options if you are careful not to go for one of the hotels right on the edge. Nothing too exciting, McDonalds being in the middle.

On the other hand, a bit further out of E40 Gateway Center, a few miles away, there are some better class hotels, with reasonable restaurants onsite. This is where Lockheed Martin (and many other companies) have headquarters, and the restaurants there are a little more upmarket, and again a safe place to walk around. It's the first stop on the Light Rail system. So Ted's Montana rather than McDonald's. But you rightly indicate that if you are doing this, you may ask well spend another 20 minutes or so, go to Downtown, which is exactly what I would suggest. The Light Rail system is easy and efficient to use and goes to Grand Central station, which gives more places to stay, walk around and/or dine.
JudgeJ likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 9:26 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Indeed that's the nearest area to the airport which has hotels, and which is both safe to walk and has some dining facilities. Denver Airport is on the edge of the built-up area, but somewhat adrift from the rest of the city. Many of the roads leading to DEN may have hotels on them but they are isolated and not safe to walk around (and no-where really to walk to either). These hotels assumed that people were arriving or departing in their cars or rental vehicle - clearly not the case from post 1.

However there are a few exceptions to that, including Tower Road where there are a few hotels and a few restaurants, but kind of big gaps between them. These are the lower-spec hotels, Courtyard Marriott, Residence Inn, Hampton, so not really reliable for evening dining in the hotel. So this is the top / northern part of Green Valley Ranch, where there's a small residential zone relatively and unusually close to the airport. Upshot is that it's reasonably safe to walk around and there are a few dining options if you are careful not to go for one of the hotels right on the edge. Nothing too exciting, McDonalds being in the middle.

On the other hand, a bit further out of E40 Gateway Center, a few miles away, there are some better class hotels, with reasonable restaurants onsite. This is where Lockheed Martin (and many other companies) have headquarters, and the restaurants there are a little more upmarket, and again a safe place to walk around. It's the first stop on the Light Rail system. So Ted's Montana rather than McDonald's. But you rightly indicate that if you are doing this, you may ask well spend another 20 minutes or so, go to Downtown, which is exactly what I would suggest. The Light Rail system is easy and efficient to use and goes to Grand Central station, which gives more places to stay, walk around and/or dine.
as isaidI mentioned sone hotels with in hotel dining. Full Hilton, embassy suites, and double tree are chains that usually have a restaurant inside them or one right next to them. With others on tower you have to see where the restaurant is and then see what hotels are next to it ir across the street from it.

another factor in this is airport arrival time after factoring in international entry if required which coukd take a few hours.
JudgeJ likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for the valuable feedback !!
Old Oct 10, 2022, 3:59 pm

The Comfort Inn right off I-25 north of downtown is not going to make a good first impression for their first night in the US, hah!
As others have said, they should Lyft/Uber to Lower Downtown (LoDo) or River North (RiNo), tons a great options there. 10 Barrel is a decent option for a brewery with food.

Orrrrrr, send them to the Grizzly Rose, since they're already right there. That would be the most aggressively American option 😂
DenverBrian and COSPILOT like this.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by maskedmesothorium
The Comfort Inn right off I-25 north of downtown is not going to make a good first impression for their first night in the US, hah!
As others have said, they should Lyft/Uber to Lower Downtown (LoDo) or River North (RiNo), tons a great options there. 10 Barrel is a decent option for a brewery with food.

Orrrrrr, send them to the Grizzly Rose, since they're already right there. That would be the most aggressively American option 😂
Get enough beer in me and Ill ride the Bull again.😄

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.