Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Attractions worth seeing driving between Tombstone and PHX?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2021, 5:02 am
Original Poster

Hey all,

I’m driving from Tombstone to PHX next week to catch a flight to LAS. Just wondering if there is anything worth seeing on the way? I was going to stop in Tuscan, AZ at the aircraft museum but the boneyard tours are off right now due to the ‘C’ word. I’ll have about 5 hours spare…I’ve done eastern PHX before (Apache trail, Tortilla Flat, Roosevelt etc) so wondering if there are any other cool detours between Tombstone and PHX. Thanks!
Old Dec 7, 2021, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

There is the Arizona-sonora desert museum just north west to tucson city centre
Old Tucson (used in movie sets)
Drive up 'A ' ,mountainn for nice views
Kartchner Caverns state park ( inc cave tours) between Tombstone and Tucson

Regards

TBS
RoadTripper4150 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
https://titanmissilemuseum.org/ if you have time. A little south of Tucson, but highly recommended.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 8:59 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Saguaro national park. It has east and west portions around Tucson
Old Dec 7, 2021, 10:21 am

Programs: SPEBSQSA
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

There is the Arizona-sonora desert museum just north west to tucson city centre
Old Tucson (used in movie sets)
Drive up 'A ' ,mountainn for nice views
Kartchner Caverns state park ( inc cave tours) between Tombstone and Tucson

Regards

TBS
Just be aware that most of Old Tucson Studios burned in 1995: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Tu...%20sign%20shop. What is left is replicas.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 11:00 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

From Wikipedia,
On September 8, 2020, Pima County, which owns the land on which it stands, announced that it was being shut down for an "indefinite" period.
As of October, the "indefinite" period was continuing. The driveways off the highway to Old Tucson were blocked with Jersey barriers.

Also see the Pima County web site, which both says the facility is open and closed, and what appears to be the Old Tucson web site, which says the facility is closed.

I agree with the recommendation for the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2021, 11:02 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
I also recommend the attractions suggested above such as the Missile Museum and the Arizona Sonoran Desert Museum.

And if you can score tickets for the day of your trip, Kartchner Caverns are truly the greatest caving experience in the world.

If you head west on 82 out of Tombstone and then up 90 to Kartchner Caverns, you will pass by several winery / meadery attractions. While it might be early in the day for drinking, the ones that are open early often have really nice breakfast offerings.

Or if you power on toward Tucson, the TTT Truck Stop just south of the city on I-10, featured as a location in a host of 70s / 80s B-movies, also serves a fine breakfast.

In the winter, the alternate State Route from Tucson to the valley, along Routes 77/79/60, is also much more attractive as a scenic drive compared to the I-10. It may not be quite as fast, except if the I-10 gets blocked by a car crash, in which case it can save you hours of travel time.
DenverBrian likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.