Wiki Posts
Search

Transportation from Tucson Amtrak to Tucson airport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2021, 8:42 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Transportation from Tucson Amtrak to Tucson airport

I expect to arrive at the train station maybe at 8 PM. (Amtrak is wildly variable.) I will be staying at a hotel near the airport. For Tucson, do you recommend Lyft, Uber, public transportation (bus), a taxi, or something else? If a taxi, any particular company? If something else, what? Thanks for any advice.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by serpens
I expect to arrive at the train station maybe at 8 PM. (Amtrak is wildly variable.) I will be staying at a hotel near the airport. For Tucson, do you recommend Lyft, Uber, public transportation (bus), a taxi, or something else? If a taxi, any particular company? If something else, what? Thanks for any advice.
I don't know Tucson at all, but Google Maps indicates that a public bus -- Route 25 -- picks up very close to the Amtrak Station, and ends at the airport, about 45-50 minutes later. The bus is free, at least through the end of 2021. Uber/Lyft or a taxi would take about half the time.

What day of the week would you be arriving Tucson? The last bus departs at 8:30 pm on Saturday, and at 8:15 pm on Sunday. Service ends later on weekdays, but it's only once an hour at :30.
Old Oct 16, 2021, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
You should be able to plug your origination and destinations into the Uber or Lyft apps and see the pricing. My oldest kid went to the UA 7-8 years ago, and took the bus from Phoenix, and taxis in town. This was before Uber got big, though.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 7:31 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by guv1976
I don't know Tucson at all, but Google Maps indicates that a public bus -- Route 25 -- picks up very close to the Amtrak Station, and ends at the airport, about 45-50 minutes later. The bus is free, at least through the end of 2021. Uber/Lyft or a taxi would take about half the time.

What day of the week would you be arriving Tucson? The last bus departs at 8:30 pm on Saturday, and at 8:15 pm on Sunday. Service ends later on weekdays, but it's only once an hour at :30.
I knew there was a bus, I didn't know it was free, and I didn't know the frequency. Thank you for the information and for spurring me to further investigation.

I'm scheduled to arrive on a weekday.

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
You should be able to plug your origination and destinations into the Uber or Lyft apps and see the pricing. [...]
I haven't signed up for Lyft or Uber. Even before Covid, I only considered using them once a year or so, and I always found an alternative. I'm wondering whether this is the situation that will push me over the edge, since the train is fully capable of arriving too late for the bus to be an option. On the other hand, there should be taxis available, allowing me to procrastinate still longer.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a taxi company to use or to avoid?
Old Oct 18, 2021, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP
There are not as many taxi's around than there used to be. I have used Lyft from time to time when my car is in the shop and they have worked out fine. You can check out https://www.suntran.com for transit information.

Is there a particular reason you are staying out by the airport? There is not much to do out by the airport unless you have a car.

Feel free to throw out more questions as Tucson has been my home for a long time.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 3:43 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by catmndu
[...] You can check out https://www.suntran.com for transit information. [...]
I'm planning on taking the bus if the train is not too late. If the train is too late, I'll hope for a taxi.
[...] Is there a particular reason you are staying out by the airport? There is not much to do out by the airport unless you have a car. [...]
I will be renting a car the next morning. The reason for staying by the airport is to facilitate returning the car and getting to the airport when I leave (sadly, not by train).
[...] Feel free to throw out more questions as Tucson has been my home for a long time. [...]
The plan is to visit, in order of importance but not chronology, the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, Saguaro NP east unit, Saguaro NP west unit, and either Chiricahua NM or Organ Pipe Cactus NM. If you recommend avoiding any of those or replacing any of those with a more worthy destination, I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 10:57 pm

I'm planning on taking the bus if the train is not too late. If the train is too late, I'll hope for a taxi.

I will be renting a car the next morning. The reason for staying by the airport is to facilitate returning the car and getting to the airport when I leave (sadly, not by train).

The plan is to visit, in order of importance but not chronology, the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, Saguaro NP east unit, Saguaro NP west unit, and either Chiricahua NM or Organ Pipe Cactus NM. If you recommend avoiding any of those or replacing any of those with a more worthy destination, I'd like to hear about it.

Thanks.

If you are into airplanes the Pima Air and Space Museum can be a lot of fun https://pimaair.org/

The Desert Museum is a great place to go.
trooper likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
If you're interested in Cold War history: Titan Missile Museum.

David
catmndu and DenverBrian like this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 2:39 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

If you are into airplanes the Pima Air and Space Museum can be a lot of fun https://pimaair.org/
Originally Posted by DELee
Thanks for the links. I will check them out when I have better internet.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 3:47 pm

David
I should have mentioned this!

This also wins if you are a star trek next generation fan. Parts of the movie First Contact was filmed here.
Old Oct 22, 2021, 2:50 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
If you're going to drive out to Chiricahua monument, might as well keep driving up to the SE AZ sky islands at the top of the Chiracahua range at 9800' elevation.

And there's Sabino Canyon not far from TUS.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 3:26 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Closing the loop on this. I did ride the bus; getting luggage on and off was no problem (and there was no fare due to Covid). The driver was unaware of the name of the cross street where I wanted to disembark, but it was no problem because I was following the progress on my phone. The car rental was apparently fine (by which I mean I haven't seen any spurious charges) other than I was assured that the tank was full and I put 2.3 gallons in it immediately on leaving the car rental agency. I visited Chiricahua NM as well as Saguaro east and west units and the Desert Museum, all of which I recommend. Other places are on the list for next time.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Closing the loop on this. I did ride the bus; getting luggage on and off was no problem (and there was no fare due to Covid). The driver was unaware of the name of the cross street where I wanted to disembark, but it was no problem because I was following the progress on my phone. The car rental was apparently fine (by which I mean I haven't seen any spurious charges) other than I was assured that the tank was full and I put 2.3 gallons in it immediately on leaving the car rental agency. I visited Chiricahua NM as well as Saguaro east and west units and the Desert Museum, all of which I recommend. Other places are on the list for next time.
Congrats - glad things worked out. Please post cool pics to the Travel Photography forum!

David
Old Oct 28, 2021, 8:39 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

you learn something new every day

Please post cool pics to the Travel Photography forum!
You know, I'm still a newcomer here. I didn't even know there was a Travel Photography forum. Several times, I've been amazed at how large FlyerTalk is, and now again.

I'm not much of a picture person, but I did take some at Chiracahua. After I dig myself out of the accumulated mail and postponed action items (does anyone else hate returning from a lengthy trip?), I'll see what they look like and visit that new forum that I just learned about.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You know, I'm still a newcomer here. I didn't even know there was a Travel Photography forum. Several times, I've been amazed at how large FlyerTalk is, and now again.

I'm not much of a picture person, but I did take some at Chiracahua. After I dig myself out of the accumulated mail and postponed action items (does anyone else hate returning from a lengthy trip?), I'll see what they look like and visit that new forum that I just learned about.
Glad I was able to show you yet another part of FlyerTalk.

David

p.s. And since you just went, hot pics, interesting pics and various pics alwayswelcome!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.