Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Market for re-selling Denver airport rail passes?

Old Dec 14, 19, 1:22 pm
Original Poster

In NYC, I frequently see young men trying to sell or buy MetroCards from airport passengers. How about in Denver?

I see that a $10.50 airport rail ticket is good for one way or for 24 hours. Wouldn't a departing passenger be able to split the cost with an arriving passenger? I don't see anything on their website prohibiting this.
Old Dec 18, 19, 2:40 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Originally Posted by A318neo View Post
In NYC, I frequently see young men trying to sell or buy MetroCards from airport passengers. How about in Denver?

I see that a $10.50 airport rail ticket is good for one way or for 24 hours. Wouldn't a departing passenger be able to split the cost with an arriving passenger? I don't see anything on their website prohibiting this.
I havent seen anyone do what you describe in Denver. What I have seen are some people just handing their ticket over to another passenger or they will leave it in a conspicuous place that someone will find it. Im not sure anyone would try to resell the ticket only because there are plenty of transit police are hanging out on the platform (both at the airport and Union Station). I buy mine using a phone app so I don't have an actual ticket I can hand over. I work at DIA on Tuesdays so I buy a lot of tickets.
Old Feb 24, 20, 10:49 am
Original Poster

I didn't see anyone hand out or leave their daily pass, which costs the same as a one way city/airport ticket.

Since I only had one place to go, I took the train. That saved a lot versus car rental.

Denver is so spread out that most people probably need a car unless they have someone to pick them up or have only one thing to do downtown.

On one way, nobody checked tickets. On the way back, there was one person to check tickets. I didn't see any cheaters with no tickets. The airport fare is much higher than non-airport fares except they are the same as a systemwide 1 day pass. A one way (3 hour pass) downtown to anywhere is $5.50 except $10.50 to the airport. A one way (3 hour pass) for 1-2 zones, which would cover Aurora to downtown or Aurora to almost the airport is $3 versus $10.50 to the airport. A 1 day (not 24 hours but expires around 2 am) pass for the whole system, including the airport, is $10.50

Last edited by A318neo; Feb 24, 20 at 10:54 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: