Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for AZ and NM in November?

Old Sep 29, 19, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

We are thinking of making a round trip from Southern California into Arizona and New Mexico in the first half of November. Are National Monuments in AZ and NM worth a visit? Which sites would you recommend during that time of year?
Old Sep 29, 19, 7:07 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by geosch View Post
We are thinking of making a round trip from Southern California into Arizona and New Mexico in the first half of November. Are National Monuments in AZ and NM worth a visit? Which sites would you recommend during that time of year?

At that hat time of year Id focus on area of I-10 and south. I-40 and north is higher elevation and is transition period to winter weather. Ive bern in Santa Fe and flagstaff around thanksgiving with temps below freezing and snow.

these parks are

joshua tree
soniran desert nm
sagusro national park
chticshua NM
organ Pipe NM

rougjly driving 10 then return on 8
Old Sep 29, 19, 9:16 pm
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
I have several possible suggestions, but really need to know how many days you are talking about? A full two weeks?
Old Sep 29, 19, 9:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There are several "parking lots" for old airplanes around Phoenix and toward Tucson, almost along the interstate. The weather is likely to be good for doing this, if your're interested, but some of them require arrangements in advance. You can find information via google if you're interested.

Another fall activity would be visiting local wineries, although don't expect the wine to compete with Napa, Sonoma, etc.

You might want to be careful not to get too close to the border.
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 30, 19, 9:26 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
djp98374's advice about staying south of the Mogollon Rim is very sound at that time of year.

You might find some good guidancefor Arizona action in these threads:

1. Consolidated "Tucson - What to do, what to see, where to go?" thread

2. Aircraft boneyards in Arizona

3. January daytrips in Phoenix

4. Aloft Tucson University

5. Good nature photography near TUS (aside from Saguaro NP)?
Old Sep 30, 19, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for the wealth of hints. Unfortunately we have only roughly one week for the round trip (from San Diego). So I am wondering whether it is worth going all the way to White Sands NM. We have been to Phoenix before, so we will rather concentrate on National Monuments/Parks. Thanks for pointing out the aircraft boneyards. I need to research whether there are any of them easy/hassle free to access.
Old Oct 2, 19, 7:38 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by geosch View Post
Thanks a lot for the wealth of hints. Unfortunately we have only roughly one week for the round trip (from San Diego). So I am wondering whether it is worth going all the way to White Sands NM. We have been to Phoenix before, so we will rather concentrate on National Monuments/Parks. Thanks for pointing out the aircraft boneyards. I need to research whether there are any of them easy/hassle free to access.
there are boneyards in Mojave too
Old Oct 6, 19, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
I meandered in this country up into southern Utah and the western slope, Jan 2005. Awesome to have it to myself. Jerome AZ is kinda cool.
aztimm likes this.

Last edited by pierre mclopez; Oct 6, 19 at 2:12 pm
Old Oct 8, 19, 6:01 am

Programs: ex-Con *Gold (earned)
Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
djp98374's advice about staying south of the Mogollon Rim is very sound at that time of year.
Oh please, it’s not Montana. Snow days in November are rare, but it does freeze at night. Heavy snows are typically in late December, January and February.

That said, the Grand Canyon with snow along the rim is a special sight.

For those with kids (or possibly not) The Grand Canyon Railway in Williams, AZ does a special “Polar Express” (event train does not terminate at the GC) on select dates from November 8 thru Christmas.

I agree that anyone from SoCal should stay away.

I also would have few qualms about visiting Nogales (either side of the border).
aztimm likes this.
Old Oct 11, 19, 11:47 pm

Programs: WN F9 UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by kale73 View Post
Oh please, its not Montana.

I also would have few qualms about visiting Nogales (either side of the border).
Oh please, it's not Tiis Nzbąs.
Old Oct 12, 19, 12:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by kale73 View Post
Oh please, it’s not Montana.
Agree. I lived in the Phoenix area for 20 years, and November is a great time to explore the whole state, including the north, without the crowds. Well around Thanksgiving, you'll have crowds.

If you've never been to the Grand Canyon, that would be a great time to go. I've been at all times of the year and have to say that my favorite memories are of going in January, when there was snow, but hardly any other people to be seen.

And as for Montana, I was in Kalispell 2 weeks ago. While much of the region got 2 feet (or more) of snow, Kalispell hardly got a dusting, but awesome views of the mountains shrouded in snow. Hardly any other visitors.
strickerj likes this.
Old Yesterday, 8:33 pm
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
This is more Utah than Arizona but has some of my favorite drives

Day 1 San Diego to St. George UT (spend some time in the Virgin River Canyon that I-15 passes through)

Day 2 St. George to Bluff UT (through Zion, the incredible Vermillion Cliffs, and don't miss the John Wesley Powell museum in Page). There's a great hotel on the western edge of Bluff. Keep your gas tank always at least 1/3 full.

Day 3 Bluff to Cedar City UT via Capitol Reef Park and the amazing Highway 12 in Utah.

Day 4 Cedar City to Kingman

Day 5 Kingman to San Diego but leave Kingman on old Route 66 up into Oatman and then down to the Colorado River.

This leaves you two days to play with, but is some of my favorite scenery in the country.

From Kingman you could also add a day or two and swing east and drive old U.S. 66 and hit the Grand Canyon and then go south to I-8 via Sedona.

This is obviously an ambitious route for folks who like to drive and see things from the windshield for the most part, rather than doing a lot of stopping or hiking.

https://goo.gl/maps/8Fm5vnVGeojmHDyw8

Last edited by cblaisd; Yesterday at 8:54 pm

Search this Thread