Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Travel time downtown to DEN airport question for Denver residents

Old Feb 10, 19, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Accidental AC E35K

I'm looking at DEN-YVR in mid March. Best option for me is a 19:07 departure on UA. If I leave downtown at ~17:00 by taxi will that give me enough time to clear security and make the flight? The odd time I've flown UA before I seem to get PreCheck.

Thanks.
Old Feb 10, 19, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
I fly DEN-YEG all the time, the pre-check line can be huge. The CLEAR line (which I do not have) always is wide open, perhaps signup for that to cut some time, but 2 hrs seems like it is pushing it, the drive is 30 minutes best case scenario, I would leave downtown 30mins-1hr earlier to be safe, especially since the next flight to YVR is the next morning (and the YVR flight is a 737 not a RJ so it boards earlier)

Last edited by whitethunder; Feb 10, 19 at 1:35 pm
Old Feb 10, 19, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Its a 30 minute drive in good traffic, up to an hour with any weather or traffic. With your 1700 departure time, on a weekday, I'd assume 45-60 minutes.

The majority of my departures at DEN, I arrive 60 minutes prior to scheduled departure time. I have Clear and Pre+, which allows me to get through security and on the train in under 10 minutes.
Old Feb 10, 19, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Consider the light rail if you’re downtown. I-70 rush hour traffic can really slow down what is usually a 30-35 minute trip.
Old Feb 10, 19, 4:41 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: United MileagePlus & FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
As this is not specific to United, please follow it in the West forum.

l'etoile
UA moderator
Old Feb 10, 19, 4:47 pm

Programs: AS, AA, B6, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by EWR764 View Post
Consider the light rail if you’re downtown. I-70 rush hour traffic can really slow down what is usually a 30-35 minute trip.
If you are planning on leaving at 17:00 on a weekday, I would also urge taking the RTD light rail from Union Station as it is more consistent in terms of travel time, versus the unknown of I-70 being backed up and taking up to 45-60 minutes. Train takes 40 minutes station to station. But just FYI there is a small possibility of some train issues that they have quelled more recently. Also the train is $10.5 versus the $30+ for a cab/uber.
Old Feb 13, 19, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Agreed with all. If 17:00 is your absolute earliest time to leave downtown Denver, the A Train from Union Station is your best bet. BTW, last I checked, it was more like $65 for a cab to DIA from downtown; Lyft/Uber is likely much less.

If you take car transport leaving at exactly 17:00 from downtown, I estimate 45 minutes to dropoff at the airport. But you are one wreck on I-70 from that becoming 90 minutes.

Once at the airport, ignore the south side security (near the Westin Hotel) and go to the north side, then up to Level 6. Check to see if bridge security is open to PreCheck; if so, go there and then take the train to the B gates. When PreCheck is open on bridge security, it rarely takes more than 1-2 minutes to clear.

If PreCheck is not running on bridge security (there will be a sign saying so if it's closed), then head back down to level 5 north security PreCheck. It's usually faster than south security PreCheck.

If you don't get PreCheck on your boarding pass, I'd still head to bridge security and go through there. From level 6 you can observe north and south security lines and get a feel for how busy things are.
Old Feb 13, 19, 10:39 am

Programs: AS, AA, B6, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post

Once at the airport, ignore the south side security (near the Westin Hotel) and go to the north side, then up to Level 6. Check to see if bridge security is open to PreCheck; if so, go there and then take the train to the B gates. When PreCheck is open on bridge security, it rarely takes more than 1-2 minutes to clear.

If PreCheck is not running on bridge security (there will be a sign saying so if it's closed), then head back down to level 5 north security PreCheck. It's usually faster than south security PreCheck.

If you don't get PreCheck on your boarding pass, I'd still head to bridge security and go through there. From level 6 you can observe north and south security lines and get a feel for how busy things are.
Precheck usually closes pretty early in the morning on the bridge, I haven't seen it open past noon and they usually close the bridge early evening, so best option as mentioned is the north security. Telling the driver either AA/LH/F9 which puts you on the north side of the terminal (where construction is splitting the interior). Obviously if taking the train you have to walk from the south side to the north along the baggage carousels as the middle section of the terminal is blocked off.

Search this Thread