Beaver Creek vs Breckenridge in May?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beaver Creek vs Breckenridge in May?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Question Beaver Creek vs Breckenridge in May?

We may have an opportunity to stay in one of these ski resorts in the off season around Memorial Day. We are not so much skiers, but enjoy the spring and fall in those beautiful mountainous places. Can anyone help with info about these two areas, neither of which we have ever been to?

Obviously the skiing part is not so important; we are most interested in which would have the most "town like" atmosphere: restaurants, shops, galleries, festivals, art shows etc during that time of year. Preferably a central place that could be walked, in addition to hiking. For example, the Tahoe area in CA seems to be a collection of ski areas, each with its own internal restaurants and support services. In contrast, Park City UT (we stayed there last June) is an old town with a lovely downtown with all kinds of restaurants, music, art, street fairs etc. We had a great time there and could walk to everything (we happened to be staying at the Marriott right downtown).

Would greatly appreciate any advice from the locals, skiing experts or anyone else who visits in the spring and fall!

Addendum: Thoughts about Avon CO for this purpose also?

Last edited by mstraveler; Jan 20, 2019 at 5:11 pm
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
What do you want to do?

If you go before memorial dat you run uno low season where some places could be closed if ski stops in mid April then summer starts in early June.

i woukd suggest 2 other pkaces

1 aspen. Take bus in a morning to maroon bells. Aspen is very walkabke with an airport.

2 ouray. Ouray is a town that opens from Memorial Day weekend through end of September many of staff shift from telluride to ouray to work in the summer. It’s walkabke and there are many hiking sites around town as well as off road touring companies and some.

Old Jan 23, 2019, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Just an FYI... Breckenridge has announced they will stay open through Memorial Day this year (and potentially going forward). That means hiking in and around the area will still potentially be heavily impacted by snow. There might be some fun parties going on that weekend, too.

I like Breck because it's much more of a laid-back town than Beaver Creek or Aspen.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:36 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I like Breck because it's much more of a laid-back town than Beaver Creek or Aspen.
I've spent a good deal of time in Breckenridge over the last decade, due to some minor business interests tied in that county. While Main Street has its share of mediocre shops and restaurants, it feels like a community, not a tourist destination, particularly during the shoulder seasons.

Grab a bicycle and ride through the valley towards I-70. It's pretty flat and there are dedicated bikeways in a lot of areas.

My favorite restaurants in town are Ember, Hearthstone, and Modis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.