Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Drive Denver to Aspen (5 nt stay)?

Drive Denver to Aspen (5 nt stay)?

Old Jun 8, 19, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: status free since 2017
I am not a gearhead but in my limited knowledge snow tires and AWD is not a substitute for each other. AWD allows to drive better in snowy/icy conditions but tires control all the traction. Without good tires, braking will not be effective on packed snow.

Then besides that, how about small to midsize sedans? I am guessing majority of these are still RWD running on all season tires. Expecting car rental agencies to swap snow tires would be a tracking nightmare (one way rentals etc). Also snow tires wear out much faster in warmer conditions... I am doubtful these cheap .......s are going to make any efforts unless mandated by law.

Last edited by carsnoceans; Jun 10, 19 at 1:18 pm Reason: Edit: geared to gearhead
Old Jun 10, 19, 10:58 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
This is yet another "feel good" law with no teeth unless you end up stuck on I-70 or you cause an accident. I'm so sick of the idiots (both local and tourists) that think driving on I-70 without a properly equipped vehicle is perfectly fine. I drive a Land Rover for a reason, my wife drives a Subaru Outback for a reason, because we live in Colorado and conditions can change. Car rental agencies have an easy solution as they can note that only AWD/4WD rentals are allowed on I-70 during the required months. Obviously you can ignore this note, just as you can with Maui rentals that almost always mention you aren't permitted to drive the back way to Hana. You get stuck or break down, it's going to be on you to resolve it.
Old Jun 10, 19, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post
This is yet another "feel good" law with no teeth unless you end up stuck on I-70 or you cause an accident. I'm so sick of the idiots (both local and tourists) that think driving on I-70 without a properly equipped vehicle is perfectly fine. I drive a Land Rover for a reason, my wife drives a Subaru Outback for a reason, because we live in Colorado and conditions can change. Car rental agencies have an easy solution as they can note that only AWD/4WD rentals are allowed on I-70 during the required months. Obviously you can ignore this note, just as you can with Maui rentals that almost always mention you aren't permitted to drive the back way to Hana. You get stuck or break down, it's going to be on you to resolve it.
Agreed but they don't really tell, do they? Not only they should have a list of recommended vehicles but the listed requirements from CDoT as well. It would help their case much better!

For my Aspen trip, I got lucky... there was fair warning from FTers so there was a degree of cautiousness. Just so it happens, I was in Maui during February and did not get warnings on the road. Thankfully, I had the sense to speak with concierge and avoided driving on NW and SE sides of the island.
Old Jun 10, 19, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by carsnoceans View Post
Agreed but they don't really tell, do they? Not only they should have a list of recommended vehicles but the listed requirements from CDoT as well. It would help their case much better!

For my Aspen trip, I got lucky... there was fair warning from FTers so there was a degree of cautiousness. Just so it happens, I was in Maui during February and did not get warnings on the road. Thankfully, I had the sense to speak with concierge and avoided driving on NW and SE sides of the island.
Not directed at you, but to all. Don't focus on the weather in Denver and Aspen in this case, always pull up some intermediate locations as well. Mountains can have a blizzard on one side of the tunnel, but sunny on the other side. And that forcast that you spent hours researching last night? It's now snowing everywhere and CDOT can't keep up. Point being is prepare yourself for the worst. You are responsible, not the rental car company. They have no clue if you are driving to DEN, COS, etc. Don't expect them to hold your hand for the unknown destination. If in doubt, upgrade to what will actually work for the roads. If one can afford to stay and eat in Aspen, the rental car should be a non issue.