Lol that was funny.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I'm just gonna leave this here...

Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Thanks for the information above.

Either I am making an unnecessarily big deal on renting car out of DIA OR it is absolutely treacherous drive from Denver to ski areas. Landslides and black ice on major interstates???!!! Is that a normal occurrence in Colorado?

I wouldn't start driving a major snow storm but I am getting very conflicted views. If car rental companies are not giving snow chains or snow tire equipped cars (which is most likely), how/why are people renting cars in winter? What are the thousands of skiers doing for getting to the slopes?

I thought Colorado being alpine sport state would have better structure in place for tourists. But it sounds like I should be planning ski trips elsewhere from now on.
Hah, wow. Everything TRRed said happens, sure. It often doesn't, though. I have a 2WD car with no snow tires and I do fine getting up there a few times a year. Just know the limits of your car, tires, and driving and weigh it against how bad the weather looks. CDOT does a great job keeping 70 open through the winter, but if it starts dumping snow up on Vail pass the road is going to close, traffic will start to pile up, and you're looking at the possibility of your 4 hour drive turning into a never ending nightmare. It's just the reality of driving at 10,600 feet in the middle of winter, it has nothing to do with CO not catering to tourists.

Anyway, I doubt any of the normal rental companies will rent you a car with snow tires or chains. Chances are you won't have any problem getting to Snowmass in your rental car, but you have to expect there's at least the possibility you will have to wait a day for the roads to be cleared if you're unlucky.

Oh, by the way, there are public buses that run between Snowmass and Aspen every 30 minutes to an hour. The bus takes 30 minutes to go between the two, which isn't much slower than driving yourself. So if you don't mind being beholden to the bus schedule, shuttle plus public transport is a great option.

Last edited by maskedmesothorium; Oct 6, 2018 at 2:09 pm
Old Oct 6, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by maskedmesothorium
Hah, wow. Everything TRRed said happens, sure. It often doesn't, though. I have a 2WD car with no snow tires and I do fine getting up there a few times a year. Just know the limits of your car, tires, and driving and weigh it against how bad the weather looks. CDOT does a great job keeping 70 open through the winter, but if it starts dumping snow up on Vail pass the road is going to close, traffic will start to pile up, and you're looking at the possibility of your 4 hour drive turning into a never ending nightmare. It's just the reality of driving at 10,600 feet in the middle of winter, it has nothing to do with CO not catering to tourists.

Anyway, I doubt any of the normal rental companies will rent you a car with snow tires or chains. Chances are you won't have any problem getting to Snowmass in your rental car, but you have to expect there's at least the possibility you will have to wait a day for the roads to be cleared if you're unlucky.

Oh, by the way, there are public buses that run between Snowmass and Aspen every 30 minutes to an hour. The bus takes 30 minutes to go between the two, which isn't much slower than driving yourself. So if you don't mind being beholden to the bus schedule, shuttle plus public transport is a great option.
Noooooooo! It's a disaster every day from October 1 to June 30! Feet of snow every day! Cars sliding off the roads by the hundreds! Anything other than a HumVee with studs AND chains AND a backup toboggan on the roof is in DANGER! He really, really should be planning ski trips elsewhere from now on!
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Mission accomplished!
I see our state's grand conspiracy to spook tourists is working nicely.
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
During the winter and spring, I've always received a SUV during my rentals at DEN - and the reservations were for full sized cars.

David
Old Nov 21, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: KLM Gold Elite (You can guess how long ago I lost this status!), LH Senator
I have done the Denver - Summit County and Aspen ski resorts by car many times at both Christmas and during my February break. The vast majority of times I have had no problems. Some of the journeys have been a little bit 'difficult' but generally not too big a problem and once I had a nightmare journey getting back to Denver, eventually getting back via Hoosier Pass and Fairplay. There have also been a couple of times when the I70 has been closed for a while during my stay. However, I have never been unable to get back for a flight. I am not saying at all that a storm couldn't impact your journey and I would certainly not attempt to drive up there if there was a big storm blowing through but it has not happened to me over many years.

Only flown into Aspen once but that was fantastic, certainly the most thrilling approach I have ever experienced. Picked up the SUV at the airport and was off the plane and in the car and at the hotel in less than 30 minutes. Did that journey as a one way drop off and travelled from Aspen back to Denver doing a tour of the ski hills on the way. I have also flown into EGE which also worked well.

As most of the flights I did when going to the Summit County resorts were from the UK which tended to arrive mid to late afternoon, I would often drive as far as Glenwood Springs and stay there the first night meaning a chance to hit the Hot Springs and a drive up to Aspen in the daylight to enjoy the scenery the next day. Just love the Hotel Colorado, I am sucker for the 'faded glory' grand hotels.

Sorry if this was all too anecdotal but it may be useful!

Last edited by tim1966; Nov 21, 2018 at 7:58 am
Old May 27, 2019, 6:09 am

What is the best way to go from DEN to Aspen? Taking Mrs CnO for a ski trip in December. There are some shuttles available but we are staying in Snowmass so it would be helpful to have a car if going between mountains or the two villages (Snowmass/Aspen).

My couple of concerns are a) parking issues in peak holiday season and b) difficult drive in mountains. Any thoughts if these pose any real issues? I was in Park City, UT for skiing last year and saw plenty of folks struggle on drive between SLC and Park City (it was a bit snowy but not a nasty storm). If I was to rent a car, I was leaning towards silvercar.

Appreciate any comments and suggestions.
Did you ever make this trip, and how did it work out for you? What method of transport did you end up using?

Sorry, I just now saw this thread. I go between Houston and Aspen all the time, summer and winter. I've flown non-stop, I've made the one-stop thru Denver, and I've flown to Denver, driving the rest. I've also been cancelled in the winter more times than I care to recall. I often fly Wildcat Touring Charter now, great way to get between HOU and ASE.

I've had to get from DEN to Aspen more times than I can recall, sometimes by choice (pretty drive), other times not. Crossing the Pass during a winter storm is not for the faint of heart. You obviously don't need my advice now, but I am curious how it worked out for you.
Old May 28, 2019, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by astrohip
Did you ever make this trip, and how did it work out for you? What method of transport did you end up using?

Sorry, I just now saw this thread. I go between Houston and Aspen all the time, summer and winter. I've flown non-stop, I've made the one-stop thru Denver, and I've flown to Denver, driving the rest. I've also been cancelled in the winter more times than I care to recall. I often fly Wildcat Touring Charter now, great way to get between HOU and ASE.

I've had to get from DEN to Aspen more times than I can recall, sometimes by choice (pretty drive), other times not. Crossing the Pass during a winter storm is not for the faint of heart. You obviously don't need my advice now, but I am curious how it worked out for you.
I chose to drive (silvercar A4) from DEN. It seemed like chances were better making there in car than fly into ASE. Not to mention the drive was very scenic. Actually met a couple of over there who shared same fate as yours; plane turned back to DEN and they ended up driving after wasting several hours.
Having an AWD car was definitely big help but I'll rethink for next time. They are not very good about cleaning the roads in Aspen/Snowmass and without snowchains it seems a bit risky. Maybe I'll consider transportation van or something from DEN to Aspen.... they are expensive but sound pretty convenient. Where have you done your winter rentals? Any issues driving in snowy conditions?

PS - the only hiccup was chipped windscreen from a small pebble (probably came from the mountain side) but CSR covered the damage.
Old May 29, 2019, 5:49 am

Maybe I'll consider transportation van or something from DEN to Aspen.... they are expensive but sound pretty convenient. Where have you done your winter rentals? Any issues driving in snowy conditions?
Typically now, in the winter, I'll fly the non-stop from IAH to ASE. Fingers crossed and hope for the best. Driving from Denver is too risky, sometimes the pass is closed, sometimes they require chains, so I quit doing that. Non-stop to Aspen only.

The last two times we couldn't land, once we landed in Denver, the other time in Eagle (Vail). In both cases, I used Colorado Mountain Express (transport vans)to get the rest of the way to Aspen. Better them driving than me!

The last few years, we haven't had a problem landing in Aspen. It seems years ago we would hit the unlucky jackpot every 2-3 years. Now it's been 5+ since we've had a problem. Not sure if we're just lucky, or airlines have gotten better at handling adverse weather.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Interesting. Now, I think I got lucky with a fairly uneventful trip. In hindsight, travel to ASE does require some additional preparation and contingency planning.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 4:25 pm

On a related note, a new law was just passed that will require a car have AWD, snow tires, or to carry chains on I-70 for 9 months of the year. The old law said you only needed those things during snow events, now you need them regardless of the weather.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/tra...-under-new-law

Drivers will have to have four-wheel or all-wheel drive, or special tires or traction devices, between September and June starting this year if they are hitting the 127-mile stretch of Interstate 70 between the foothills outside of Denver and Colorado’s Western Slope.

Gov. Jared Polis signed House Bill 1207 last Friday, which expands Colorado’s traction law to be mandatory at all times during the High Country’s snowy seasons.

Starting Sept. 1 and running through May 31 of each year, all drivers on I-70 between Morrison and Dotsero will be required to adhere to the traction law, which requires vehicles to have either four-wheel drive or all-wheel drive with snow or mud+snow-rated tires, or specialized winter tires, chains or other traction devices for cars with two-wheel drive.

The law will also increase the minimum depth requirements for tire tread two three-sixteenths of an inch – up from one-eighth of an inch under current rules.

Currently, traction and chain laws are put into effect before and during snow storms on I-70 and other mountain highways. Under the new law, the rules would only be in place 24/7 on I-70 but will go into effect on other highways when traction and chain laws are activated.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:21 am

Wow, that is a very aggressive law!
Old Jun 5, 2019, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maskedmesothorium
On a related note, a new law was just passed that will require a car have AWD, snow tires, or to carry chains on I-70 for 9 months of the year. The old law said you only needed those things during snow events, now you need them regardless of the weather.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/tra...-under-new-law
Thanks for this info. All this is great for public safety but worthless if rental cars are not prohibited by law to rent unequipped vehicles.

With this law, it should be mandatory for all CO car agencies to carry and provide snowchains (even if for extra cost). Otherwise this law hurts winter tourists the most...
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Thanks for this info. All this is great for public safety but worthless if rental cars are not prohibited by law to rent unequipped vehicles.

With this law, it should be mandatory for all CO car agencies to carry and provide snowchains (even if for extra cost). Otherwise this law hurts winter tourists the most...
Chains are only one option. The rental car agencies will either convert to an all 4WD/AWD fleet, or put snow tires on their 2WD fleet in winter.

Given that there are only seven 2WD cars left in the state these days (and I'm only a little facetious), it shouldn't be a huge problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.