Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Where should we go for luxury ski vacation?

Old May 15, 18, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SK EBD, Starwood/Marriott/RC, Hertz, Avis, AmXP, DC, etc.

Looking for suggestions... taking our kids (10, 9, 9) for their first ski trip, but husband and I donít ski. So we want a nice, right-at-the-slopes, luxury hotel, where the kids can get great lessons, and we can enjoy a book in front of fire or in our room. Thinking Vail or Beaver Creek, but will consider other options. Flying from Los Angeles. Over Christmas this year, for about 3-4 days total. Whatís the best combination of ski-out, luxury, good-for-beginners ski resort / hotel out west?

And do we need to pack the kidsí ski clothes and snow boots? Or can these be rented anyplace? (We live in Sweden, so they have everything...but wouldnít normally pack snow pants for a trip to Los Angeles...)
Old May 17, 18, 11:00 am
TTT

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Deer Valley is a great option. Wonderful slopes and a great ski school. Fly into SLC and it's a ~30 minute drive to the mountain (lot's of shuttle options if you don't want to drive).

There are three luxury hotels on the hill:All of the properties are ski-in, ski-out. The St. Regis is the most removed as it is above the base and requires a funicular ride if you aren't skiing to the property. The other two are a bit more accessible, though the Montage isn't close to the base and is in more of a residential area. All three properties, though, are beautiful.
Old May 28, 18, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA
Whistler, and watch your USD go a long way!
Old May 31, 18, 6:59 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
if id choose one 0place it would be Whistler.

At Xmas snow is dicey in areas around SLC and in Colorado. Whistler is more likely to have snow.
Old May 31, 18, 7:56 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
The Caveats:
Snow conditions around Christmas are a roll of the dice at any North American ski area.
This is a busy time so expect crowds.

That said Deer Valley in Park City Utah would also be my first recommendation. Easy access, parents can walk to town, decent ski school, they can also make snow if necessary.

Others to consider: (All of these are close to an interesting town or city that existed before the ski area was built, unlike Vail.)
Snowmass, Colorado (one of Aspen's 4 mountains and their beginner area, but the farthest from the actual town of Aspen)
Jackson Hole, Jackson Wyoming
Steamboat, Steamboat Springs, Colorado

My last experience at Park City / Canyons, the ski area next to Deer Valley prevents me from recommending that area.

I would be hesitant about Whistler as the mountain is lower than the areas in the Rockies. There may only be snow at the top.

As to rental clothing, it varies by destination. I would speak with the concierge at the hotel when booking. It's not as common here but I suspect that something can be arranged.

We do the house rental / condo thing so I can't speak to hotels.

Also note that the ski schools in North America are part of the company running the lifts. You will be able to buy your lift ticket, rental gear, and lessons package all through one source.

Enjoy!
Old Jun 10, 18, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL, B6, AS
Deer Valley - no snowboarders, limit number of tickets sold (slopes are not crowded), 40 minute drive from
major airport (SLC), Park City (the town) is charming

Old Jun 11, 18, 8:40 am

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
On clothing, I expect any of the resorts will have a boots available, and there are likely a number of places near the resorts that rent these and skis for somewhat less than what the resort will rent them for. All of these places will probably have some outerware for rent also.
But for lower layers, I expect you would find buying a better option (and probably for less than you would buy in Sweden, if your prices are anywhere close to those of Norway). I suggest looking at both REI's and LL Bean's websites. You could order for delivery to whichever hotel you choose, with a note to "Hold for Arrival." Probably best if the order name is in the same name as the hotel reservation. And not too far in advance unless you can control delivery date precisely.
Alternatively, on your arrival in Salt Lake City, Denver, etc. go shopping (TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and Sierra Trading are have name brands at somewhat discounted prices; REI has retail locations; Wal-Mart or similar if you want to go the least expensive route, maybe because you want to donate the clothes when you are done).
Others will probably suggest different retailers or websites to consider.
Old Jun 14, 18, 7:58 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by AMflier View Post
The Caveats:
Snow conditions around Christmas are a roll of the dice at any North American ski area.
This is a busy time so expect crowds.

That said Deer Valley in Park City Utah would also be my first recommendation. Easy access, parents can walk to town, decent ski school, they can also make snow if necessary.

Others to consider: (All of these are close to an interesting town or city that existed before the ski area was built, unlike Vail.)
Snowmass, Colorado (one of Aspen's 4 mountains and their beginner area, but the farthest from the actual town of Aspen)
Jackson Hole, Jackson Wyoming
Steamboat, Steamboat Springs, Colorado

My last experience at Park City / Canyons, the ski area next to Deer Valley prevents me from recommending that area.

I would be hesitant about Whistler as the mountain is lower than the areas in the Rockies. There may only be snow at the top.

As to rental clothing, it varies by destination. I would speak with the concierge at the hotel when booking. It's not as common here but I suspect that something can be arranged.

We do the house rental / condo thing so I can't speak to hotels.

Also note that the ski schools in North America are part of the company running the lifts. You will be able to buy your lift ticket, rental gear, and lessons package all through one source.

Enjoy!
elevation and getting snow is utterly false.....

snow keveks when systems stems come in during October is around 3000feet. By December snow levels are around 1000 feet.

yes sometimes whistler city can get rain but the top half of the mountains are still runnable where the gondola will pick up and take down from these bid points.

when it comes to snow keveks for Xmas time itís an utter crapshoot you have snow in Colorado ir utah. Places like whistler, whitefish, mt hood, and others ski conditions are closer to 90% certainty of skiing vs the 50-69% there.

Search this Thread