DEN to Pepsi Center

Old Nov 30, 17, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: SQ PPS
Question DEN to Pepsi Center

All -

I will be travelling from NY to LA next month. Decided to stop in DEN on the way to see a game (Avalanche) at the Pepsi Center.

Trying to figure this one out:
- arrive 17.17 on DL from LGA (will be in F, but going to have a checked bag)
- staying at the Westin
- game starts at 7pm

A couple of questions:
1. What's the best (hassle-free) way of getting from DEN to the Westin?
- taxis work fine? Long queues? Cost?
- would a hotel car or limo service make sense?
2. Westin to DEN the following morning - again, which option / company would you recommend for the transfer?
3. I assume walking over from the Westin to Pepsi Center should be problem-free? Have travelled a fair bit in the US, but conscious that some inner city areas can be somewhat interesting.
4. How's the weather in Denver at the end of December? Airport operations normally fine?

Thank you very much for your help!
Old Nov 30, 17, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
A Line train from DEN to Union Station, then the 16th St Mall shuttle to Lawrence St, or a short cab/Uber/Lyft to the Westin.

To get to the Pepsi Center, you might just want to take the 16th St Mall shuttle back to Union Station and then the C or D light rail line one stop to Pepsi Center.

Walking from the Westin to the Pepsi Center is about a mile. Safe, but a bit of a trek. You can stay in commercial areas and then cross Speer Blvd where the University of Colorado/Denver - Auraria campus is.

The 16th St Mall has its share of oddballs, kind of like San Francisco, but in my opinion the worst thing is that you'll catch a couple of lungfuls of weed smell.

I would be okay with taking the A line train down from DIA to Union Station, but the next morning, I wouldn't trust it. Take a cab/Uber/Lyft. Cabs, I think, are close to $80 one way to DIA these days.

Weather: Hey, it's Colorado. Who knows? It honestly could be 60 and beautiful that evening, or 30 and windy, or 10 and snowing. If I had to choose, I'd say 30 and windy.
Old Dec 1, 17, 5:50 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Do you have to stay at the downtown Westin? Why not stay at the airport Westin? I agree with DenverBrian; take the A line to the downtown. It runs every 15 mins when you arrive (until about 7pm or so; then every 30 mins). From Union Station, I would take Uber, pedi cab, connect to another light rail line or even walk (depending on the weather). The walk from Union Station to the Pepsi Center is only about 10 mins and 1/2 mile. If you take the A Line back to the airport that night, it will leave every 30 mins (top and bottom of the hour). Plus the $9 ticket is good for a round trip if used on the same day.
Old Dec 1, 17, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr View Post
If you take the A Line back to the airport that night, it will leave every 30 mins (top and bottom of the hour). Plus the $9 ticket is good for a round trip if used on the same day.
OP notes that he's going back to the airport the following morning. I would not trust the A Line train going to the airport unless you plan about two hours of slack.
Old Dec 3, 17, 11:28 am

I was giving him an alternative if he was only staying downtown because of the Avs game. I am sure there might be a difference in Westin prices so I am not sure if that factors into the equation or if he had something to do other than the Avs game.
Old Dec 3, 17, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your help DenverBrian and HawaiiTrvlr - greatly appreciated.

Now, should have asked the questions before booking the Westin - saw a decent non-refundable rate there, so kind of stuck with it. I remember staying at an airport hotel at DTW (no shuttle needed - can't remember what chain it was) when we went to see the Red Wings. That was very convenient.

As for the Westin, based on my limited experience they're a safe bet - I saw some properties closer to the Pepsi Center, but was not 100% convinced.

Never realised there is a train option from the airport - will have to look into this. Only concern here is time - I will have a little bit more than an hour to get to the hotel and then over to the Pepsi Center. Sounds like walking is a reasonable option from the hotel to Pepsi Center and back - thank you for the reassurance. Wouldn't mind the train option, but trying to figure out how to buy tickets etc. might lead to time being lost in the process.
Old Dec 4, 17, 9:08 am

The train option is only 37 minutes but then you have to plan from Union Station to the hotel to the Pepsi Center. Depending on traffic, Uber/Lyft or a cab will about the same. If it is rush hour time, all bets are off for travel time. Of course, the A Line has it own performance issues.

Enjoy the Avs game and your trip to Denver.
Old Dec 6, 17, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Thank you - taxis ok in Denver? Are they available at the airport and what can I expect it to cost if I just jump in a cab?

I can fully appreciate why people in the US are not overly keen to use taxis. I might actually have to download the Uber app for this trip.

Search this Thread