Wiki Posts
Search

Aspen or Park City, UT - newbie ski trip

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2017, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: status free since 2017
Aspen or Park City, UT - newbie ski trip

Wife's bday is in xmas week and she would really like to learn skiing (or attempt) so I am thinking of taking her to either Park City or Aspen. Given that I have never been to either city or put on a pair of skis myself... I could use good advice.

Length of trip: 3-4 days (incl xmas weekend)

Aspen/ Snowmass area seems to be fairly well developed and looks like a trendy party town which can be fun. However getting there from DEN is a PITA... almost becoming a 4hr drive each way whereas Park City is less than an hour away. This almost takes a full day away from activities. Flying into ASE is turning out to be fairly cost prohibitive.

Park city is not cheap on flights either however it's a fairly big time saver given proximity to SLC. However, I am not sure if the area would be good for our trip.

Few concerns being...
1. Given I'll be there for xmas weekend, not sure if Aspen would be a better choice.
2. Availability of easy-peasy ski slopes.... ski schools, ski valet etc. I really need some hand holding here.
3. other activities if if attempting to ski turns out to be an epic fail
4. Restaurants etc on dec 24/25... which city would be better?

Would appreciate some advice.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
In Utah you have shuttles that take you to the different ski locations which are not that far from the airport.

Aspen from Denver ---you have weather issues in driving through the mountains. In Colorado you have other places to ski like Vail/Breckenridge area, Steamboat springs, and others.

I don't recall which place would be best for a newbie to learn how to ski. Some places don't have many entry level runs.

All these areas have small towns associated with them that have restaurants/things to do at night.

Christmas week is a big time for ski resorts where prices are inflated.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 4:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I'd suggest that ski lessons at Snowmass make more sense than at Aspen for adult skiing. I'd also suggest that ski lessons/skiing at Snowmass are better for a newbie adult skier than at Park City. I'd also suggest that Buttermilk is far more newbie ski friendly than Aspen, Snowmass or Park City.

If the newbie skier can drive and doesn't want to be stuck to just the ski resort and walk-able part of town to the main ski resort, then I'd say Park City may possibly make more sense than Aspen; but otherwise Aspen.

For overall social enjoyment on and off the mountains, especially if wanting to stay off driving/using buses, then I'd say Aspen is better; but you do pay more for it than at Park City.

Park City has some very good discount shopping a short drive from the main mountain; and Salt Lake City/SLC is only 30 minutes away. And the variety of food offerings within a rather short drive of the main lift at Park City is much greater than at Aspen, albeit at the higher end not as good as at Aspen.

But that's just my take.

Unless staying at a friend's house in Aspen or cashing out SPG points, I tend to go to Park City when choosing between the two -- but that's with experienced skiers. Otherwise, when skiing with a wider range of ability levels, we go for Park City when choosing between these two places.

Park City is a very convenient and reliable drive from SLC. Flying into ASE or DEN to go to A/S/B is far more subject to weather-related disturbances than SLC, at least in my experience of doing this over the years.
Old Nov 11, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
My suggestion would be go to Park City but ski at Deer Valley. They are known for their grooming and easier terrain plus the on slope dining is quite good.

Deer Valley was once priced at a premium but now that Vail Resorts owns Park City / Canyons the pricing is comparable.

I would avoid The Canyons at Park City. The layout of the mountain is confusing and it's easy to end up somewhere that you shouldn't be.

I've only been to Aspen in the off season so I can only speak to it being a fun town. (Skiing Ajax is on my bucket list)

My recommendation for adults taking ski lessons beginner to expert is always Taos Ski Valley. Their ski school is amazing and you tend to be taught by people your age. Christmas however is a little early for snow coverage there and non ski activities are limited.

Enjoy!
Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
A little late, but why limit yourself to two areas? If spending as much as possible is the goal, then Aspen is the place to go, but if learning to ski is the goal, there are plenty of areas to visit. I can think of a few in Colorado that offer plenty of luxury options, assuming you are open to that. And don't let I-70 scare you, as the only time it's a pain is returning Sunday afternoon. I have clients in Aspen, and also ski on the weekend, and as such I frequently drive this route. I would fly into DEN if it were me. Frankly, I would take I-70 traffic over Chicago traffic anytime.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 8:47 am
Suspended

Right now there is no snow anywhere. Worst early season conditions in recent memory. While you don't need a lot of snow for beginners, definitely check this out before you book.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 1:27 pm

There is nowhere more magical than Aspen at Christmas. It's a fairy tale come true. Aspen is markedly more expensive, but also more fabulous. It's a charming historic city but with big city sophistication. One interesting point about Aspen is that it has it's own little airport that is actually quite well served with flights from numerous big cities. And, once you land, it's only a ten minute Uber to town. I always fly into ASE. Once you factor in the time and and hassle of driving from DEN, I'd gladly pay any price difference.And once you're in Aspen, there is really no need for a car rental at all. It's all pedestrian or served by a good and free bus system. Aspen is also the umbrella tern to describe 4 distinct ski mountains: Ajax (Aspen sits at it's base), Snowmass, Buttermilk and Aspen Highlands. Buttermilk is perfect for beginners and is a great mountain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.