FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   West (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west-456/)
-   -   No Return to Sterile at DEN Terminal Station? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west/1850400-no-return-sterile-den-terminal-station.html)

O62 Jun 27, 17 3:54 pm

No Return to Sterile at DEN Terminal Station?
 
Hi all,

I was flying LAX-DEN-ATL yesterday and was comparing the two similar train systems between concourses. One big difference was at the domestic baggage/ground transportation station in ATL, there are big red signs notifying you about "no reentry" before you leave the sterile area up the escalators.

Unless I couldn't find it, I didn't see any such warnings at DEN and so it seems that if you fail to exit the train at A you are no longer able to return to the terminals without re-entering security. Is that so? It wasn't a big deal as I was exploring anyways and have lots of time, just curious. Can you simply stay on the train and wait for it to reposition or will you be arrested on suspicion of domestic terrorism?

ryw Jun 27, 17 6:16 pm

It's been about a year since I've been to DEN and ATL, but DEN doesn't have any gates at its checkin/security building (unlike ATL's T gates) - thus in theory everyone who did not exit the train at A isn't going to be going to a gate.

However, I don't think you're necessarily forced out of the train when you arrive in the main terminal. I believe DEN (and most airport people movers) employ Spanish solution platforms at the end point - that is one side of doors will open first to an "exit" platform that lets people out to baggage claim, while the other side of doors will open a few seconds later to a "boarding" platform that lets people in going to gates. Then the train reverses (switching over to the right side if necessary), going back to A/B/C - thus there's no "repositioning" to worry about. Presumably all you would have to do is not exit the train and let everyone else board, and go with them back to A/B/C.

DenverBrian Jun 27, 17 9:53 pm


Originally Posted by ryw (Post 28493648)
It's been about a year since I've been to DEN and ATL, but DEN doesn't have any gates at its checkin/security building (unlike ATL's T gates) - thus in theory everyone who did not exit the train at A isn't going to be going to a gate.

However, I don't think you're necessarily forced out of the train when you arrive in the main terminal. I believe DEN (and most airport people movers) employ Spanish solution platforms at the end point - that is one side of doors will open first to an "exit" platform that lets people out to baggage claim, while the other side of doors will open a few seconds later to a "boarding" platform that lets people in going to gates. Then the train reverses (switching over to the right side if necessary), going back to A/B/C - thus there's no "repositioning" to worry about. Presumably all you would have to do is not exit the train and let everyone else board, and go with them back to A/B/C.

Yep, there is an "all passengers, please exit" announcement, but if you stay on the train at the main terminal, it'll reposition, or just stay there and start boarding riders to the A gates.

Unless it's one of the very rare trains that go directly out of service at that point, and you happen to choose that one. :D :D :D (Hint: if the opposite doors don't open within a few seconds after the doors to the exit side open...get. out.)

Tanic Jun 28, 17 1:35 pm


Originally Posted by DenverBrian (Post 28494233)
Unless it's one of the very rare trains that go directly out of service at that point, and you happen to choose that one. :D :D :D (Hint: if the opposite doors don't open within a few seconds after the doors to the exit side open...get. out.)

Do they park inactive trains under the Jeppesen Terminal? I thought that the storage yard is north of C towards the hangars.

Or maybe they park in the secret doomsday bunkers. :eek::confused::eek::confused:

DenverBrian Jun 28, 17 9:56 pm


Originally Posted by Tanic (Post 28496745)
Do they park inactive trains under the Jeppesen Terminal? I thought that the storage yard is north of C towards the hangars.

Or maybe they park in the secret doomsday bunkers. :eek::confused::eek::confused:

If I answered that, I'd have to shoot you. :eek:

HawaiiTrvlr Jun 30, 17 9:55 pm

I haven't looked when I get off the train but I know if you are walking acroos the A concourse bridge, there is a sign that says "no re-entry without a valid boarding pass" or something like that. It is near the security point on the right.

DenverBrian Jun 30, 17 10:36 pm


Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr (Post 28506633)
I haven't looked when I get off the train but I know if you are walking acroos the A concourse bridge, there is a sign that says "no re-entry without a valid boarding pass" or something like that. It is near the security point on the right.

Both the A concourse bridge and the train escalators/elevators up to the main terminal are staffed by TSA peeps watching out for anyone who goes in the wrong direction.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:35 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.