Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Driving in Albuquerque - how difficult is it?

Old Feb 17, 17, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold (LTS) and VA Gold

My wife and I have a chance to do a 23:59 connection in the USA and were toying with the idea of somewhere a bit different - ABQ came to mind (no doubt because we have just finished watching Breaking Bad). It will be the afternoon on Tuesday to the same time Wednesday in July.

I was thinking about hiring a car and doing a generally pottering about a bit for a day.

I am a little bit apprehensive driving on the right hand side of the road. I have driven on the right in Hilo, HNL, the northern suburbs of Chicago and around Southern Chile - all of which were ok.

So my question really is: is driving around ABQ going to be overly difficult?

My google earth research shows that with the exception of the interstate most of the roads are no bigger than dual carriage and it all looks pretty logical but wouldn't mind the insights of someone who has been there.
Old Feb 17, 17, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Instead of staying right in Albuquerque, I'd drive up toward Sante Fe along the Turquoise Trail (scenic secondary road with historic villages having art and antique stores) and possibly up to see Los Alamos, but this might be too much driving for 24 hours.

You could also stay near ABQ, but not in the city, at the Tamaya (spelling?) Hyatt on an Indian reservation with a little museum. There's a fascinating museum covering the history of the atomic bomb on the Air Force base next to ABQ airport, but check their access rules. You might be required to register with information about your car in advance to get through the entrance gate. You definitely would need your passport and driving license to show at the gate.
Old Feb 17, 17, 9:42 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
If you felt comfortable in Chicago I don't think you'll have any problem in Albuquerque
Old Feb 17, 17, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't driven there much (just a dinner and gas stop while passing through) but it didn't strike me as unusual. Much easier than big city driving.
Old Feb 17, 17, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
One thing I will add is that July is the start of thunderstorm season, so be careful with heavy rain. The main concern is not to drive through any flowing water across a road. It only takes a few inches to sweep away a car (I've seen it happen).

But other than that, you've driven in an American city much bigger than ABQ so I think you'll be fine.
Old Feb 18, 17, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Gold (LTS) and VA Gold
Thanks very much - I'll lock in the flights.
Old Feb 18, 17, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lost View Post
One thing I will add is that July is the start of thunderstorm season, so be careful with heavy rain. The main concern is not to drive through any flowing water across a road. It only takes a few inches to sweep away a car (I've seen it happen).

But other than that, you've driven in an American city much bigger than ABQ so I think you'll be fine.
And beware that it's a dry climate--the first rain or two of the season brings up the oil that has accumulated on the road. This makes the roads a lot more slick than one would expect.
Old Feb 18, 17, 3:36 pm

I've only passed through on the way to Santa Fe and Taos (and agree with the recommendation to head up to Santa Fe), but it was very easy. I remember the streets being wide and well-marked. If you drove in Chicago this won't seem hard at all. We stopped there for lunch and couldn't resist the temptation to get a quick picture of Walter White's house.
Old Feb 18, 17, 5:30 pm
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
And do stop at the Frontier Restaurant for a unique experience:

http://www.frontierrestaurant.com/
Old Feb 19, 17, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
I concur with MSPeconomist, go to Santa Fe. Nice city, historic/artsy downtown, easily walkable. I have stayed at this B&B before and can recommend it: casacuma.com It is maybe 2-3 blocks north of the heart of Santa Fe and easily walkable to city center. By the way, in July, everything will likely be very hot, so keep that in mind.
TRRed
Old Apr 12, 17, 5:40 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
ABQ is easy to drive in.
It is high & dry, so drink LOTS of water. Very easy to become dehydrated and not know it.

I recommend a trip on the tram. Stunning views of the city.

www.sandiapeak.com

Search this Thread