Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Should we go to Boise or Spokane/Coeur D'alene?

Old Jan 24, 17, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, SPG Gold

Have never been to any of these places. Airfare is similar (need to collect the miles, these fit the bill). Looking for a beautiful place to relax, good dining, interesting things to do (museums, etc.). Not looking for strenuous outdoor activities, but walks through lovely nature would be nice.

Weather looks changeable in early October, but we're ok with cold as long as it's not snowy/icy (which I know can happen, but hopefully not).

Which trip would you take?
Old Jan 24, 17, 7:02 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I like Boise. Their downtown area is nice and compact, and has a Basque neighborhood with excellent options for tapas and paella.

One of my favorite chocolate shops is there - Chocolat Bar. I make a point to pick up their green chile pistachio bark whenever I'm there.
Old Jan 24, 17, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by missydarlin View Post
I like Boise. Their downtown area is nice and compact, and has a Basque neighborhood with excellent options for tapas and paella.

One of my favorite chocolate shops is there - Chocolat Bar. I make a point to pick up their green chile pistachio bark whenever I'm there.
Yes, I noticed there was a Basque museum there. And the pistachio bark sounds great.

I was actually leaning towards Boise because we'd just stay there, and not have to drive anywhere else (I felt Spokane needed something "extra").

What's your favorite hotel there? And would you stay in Boise without a car?
Old Jan 24, 17, 8:08 pm
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
Would also suggest you consider Missoula, and get a lovely river-side room at the Doubletree. Very peaceful.
Old Jan 25, 17, 3:04 am
Original Poster

We decided on Boise - found low airfare and low hotel rates at the Hampton Inn downtown. Lots within walking distance.

Some day we'll get to Montana - just not this trip, thanks.
Old Jan 25, 17, 2:50 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by Eujeanie View Post
We decided on Boise - found low airfare and low hotel rates at the Hampton Inn downtown. Lots within walking distance.
Old Jan 25, 17, 4:35 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
If you get a car and have a morning or afternoon, and if the weather's okay, check out the Bruneau Canyon and Bruneau Dunes, a couple of hours south of Boise. Amaz.Ing.
Old Jan 25, 17, 5:09 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Whatever, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold
If you like craft beer, check out Payette Brewing downtown. It's a cool spot.
Old Jan 25, 17, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Gardyloo and nineworldseries (and Missy) - thanks for the suggestions. We've opted to only rent a car for one day (Enterprise will pick you up!) so have to narrow it down as to what to do on that one day. The Hampton Inn has a shuttle from the airport, and we've got a day and a half to explore on foot.

I love how you can pick a city out of a hat and find so much you never knew existed!
Old Jan 25, 17, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

9WS...my husband wants to know who has won exactly 9 - his two guesses were the Cards or the Giants.
Old Jan 31, 17, 11:15 pm

Programs: *S (TK), Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold
If you get a chance to be around CDA I would highly recommend it. I didn't actually spend much time in CDA but was in the Sandpoint area and also Palouse. The former has some excellent mountain/lake scenery (think Lake Tahoe), while the latter has incredible rolling hills. A few hours apart, completely different.
Old Feb 6, 17, 3:45 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
Boise is easy without a car. Uber/lylft/Taxi will get you everywhere you need, if something is too far on foot.

Chandlers is the most popular restaurant for fine dining. If you like wine, Bodovino is awesome. Basque Block (which is just one block) is good to visit.

Table Rock is an easy hike to do and a local must.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. October is usually gorgeous here.
Old Feb 6, 17, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Travel K View Post
Boise is easy without a car. Uber/lylft/Taxi will get you everywhere you need, if something is too far on foot.

Chandlers is the most popular restaurant for fine dining. If you like wine, Bodovino is awesome. Basque Block (which is just one block) is good to visit.

Table Rock is an easy hike to do and a local must.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. October is usually gorgeous here.
Thanks, sounds great. We will be there on a Friday night so were thinking of going to one of the Basque dinners at the Basque market. Will check out your other recommendations, too, much appreciated.
Old Feb 6, 17, 9:41 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
For restaurants, I do love Bardenday, but it isn't really what you are going for. Try Bar Gernika or Leku Ona. If you drink, you really should order a kalimotxo (pronounced cali-mocho) which is half red wine, half cola. I know, I know, just try it. I love Basque food.

Goldy's is great for breakfast.

Search this Thread