Wiki Posts
Search

oregon coastline.. seeking trip advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2016, 9:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

oregon coastline.. seeking trip advice

hello im flying into portland. Without a car im looking to go on a tour/bus/train/pub transportation. let me know which parts of the coastline are good to see.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:59 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Getting there without a private car will be extremely difficult. Why not rent a car?
Old Oct 28, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Icelandair, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador, Hertz 5*
There is a bus line - If you are in Portland, I would probably suggest NorthWest POINT Their web page

Feasibly you could leave Portland at 9.20 am and be in Cannon Beach by 11.20 am Spend the day there and catch the return bus at 7pm and be back in Portland at 9.00 pm Alternatively, leave at 9.20 am and arrive in Astoria at 12.20 pm catching the return to Portland at 6.00pm

There are also a lot of places to visit along the coast; some great photo opportunities, beach access etc where a car would be preferable. If you are dependent though on public transportation this may work.

added: Here is another website that may help.
http://visittheoregoncoast.com/transportation/

Last edited by Skyline; Oct 28, 2016 at 1:40 pm Reason: added more information
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:29 pm

Also, when are you doing this? Our coast is not always hospitable in the cooler months.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Ok I'll get car.

Tell me best places along to coast to stop and see. All I know is Cannon Beach and Crater Lake

When are the best times of year to fly up to Portland and do this trip?
Old Oct 31, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Take a look through this thread from a few months ago. It contains lots of suggestions about places to visit along Oregon's coast.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west/...ggestions.html
Old Oct 31, 2016, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
If you want to see Crater Lake, it has to be summer to autumn as the park is at high elevation so it may not be open in spring (unless you are doing XC ski touring) and of course will close when it snows.

As for the coast drive itself, there is the slight problem with traffic which can be infernal (slow RVs, etc) so avoid prime RV season.

As for coastal fog, be aware that this phenomenon happens in the summer too, more so when it is really, really hot and sunny inland.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Have taken a trip like this in the fall a few years back:

https://goo.gl/maps/uwQYnCHpoDr

Spent a few nights at the Brasada Ranch in Powell Butte (east of Bend) and used this as a base to do a day trip through the mountains on the west of Bend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.