Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Salt Lake City and Park City Trip Planning

Salt Lake City and Park City Trip Planning

Old Jul 23, 16, 4:23 pm

I highly recommend the Uintas, which are an easy drive from Park City. A word of caution, though--if you were hoping to drive up to Mirror Lake, trail around the lake is closed for reconstruction. You can still visit the area and find a spot to picnic but you won't be able to enjoy the whole thing. http://www.sltrib.com/home/4110064-1...ail-closed-for
There are plenty of other good spots up there and when you stop at the pay station you can get a brochure/ask for tips. The pay station only takes cash/checks and I think a day pass is $6 now.

If you're here on a Saturday or Sunday, you can go to Oktoberfest at Snowbird (has to start way before October due to temperatures at that elevation!). They will have lots of beer vendors (local and otherwise) and you can also do all the regular summer activities, including taking the tram up to the top of Hidden Peak. There's a mountain coaster, Alpine Slide, etc.
Old Aug 29, 16, 4:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Not sure of your hometown. Be aware of altitude sickness and it's effects. Do not plan much the first day...hydrate . Park City is much higher then SLC. You will probably have a headache the first couple of days.
Old Sep 17, 16, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/Starwood LPP+A, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, United Premier Silver
Thanks to everyone who offered advice, tips, and information for this trip. This was the most beautiful, perfect trip, and we had a wonderful time.

The St. Regis alone was enough to make the trip magical, but Deer Valley, adorable Main Street, the lakes, canyons, mountains and hikes offered us such a wonderful insight to all that Park City has to offer.

Thanks again!

(And yes, pcoll, we definitely noticed the difference in altitude! We made sure to hydrate!)
Old Jul 10, 17, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL PM, National EE, Hertz PC
This may be stupid, but I am flying into SLC for a Thursday (7/13) PM meeting, and then flying on to LAX sunday AM. My gf is gonna join me for a weekend in UT.
We are planning to drive to Zion Friday am, and do a small hike Friday pm.
Then do Angel's Landing Saturday AM and head back to SLC Saturday PM
Saturday is gf's bday, and I'd like her someplace nice - for cocktails at one place and dinner at another (or they could be the same place). Any dinner suggestions (no sushi and no tasting menus for the gf)?
Old Jul 11, 17, 1:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by MarkCron View Post
... head back to SLC Saturday PM
Saturday is gf's bday, and I'd like her someplace nice - for cocktails at one place and dinner at another (or they could be the same place). Any dinner suggestions (no sushi and no tasting menus for the gf)?
Where in SLC will you stay?

If you haven't yet booked, I'd say you can stay downtown. Has all of the major chains, and if you want to splurge Grand America.

There's some great small local restaurants. Every time I've been to SLC, I've eaten at Eva and have never been disappointed:
http://evaslc.com/

The last time I was there (mid-June), we had drinks at Beer Hive before heading to Eva:
http://thebeerhive.com/
It is just across the street, a 5 min or so walk.

I have a cousin who lives there and he's definitely a foodie. Let me know if you have any special requests.

If you happen to be there for breakfast, Vertical Diner is a fantastic vegan-friendly place. They don't seem to have a webpage, but they are reviewed on the typical restaurant review sites.

Last edited by aztimm; Jul 11, 17 at 1:55 pm
Old Jul 11, 17, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, National EE, Hertz PC
Thanks, I will check out Eva, Beerhive already on radar.
We are staying at Hyatt House which I think is right downtown.
any other brunch/breakfast type places? I will look at Vertical.
Old Nov 13, 19, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by warmsnickers View Post
I highly recommend the Uintas, which are an easy drive from Park City. A word of caution, though--if you were hoping to drive up to Mirror Lake, trail around the lake is closed for reconstruction. You can still visit the area and find a spot to picnic but you won't be able to enjoy the whole thing. http://www.sltrib.com/home/4110064-1...ail-closed-for
There are plenty of other good spots up there and when you stop at the pay station you can get a brochure/ask for tips. The pay station only takes cash/checks and I think a day pass is $6 now.

If you're here on a Saturday or Sunday, you can go to Oktoberfest at Snowbird (has to start way before October due to temperatures at that elevation!). They will have lots of beer vendors (local and otherwise) and you can also do all the regular summer activities, including taking the tram up to the top of Hidden Peak. There's a mountain coaster, Alpine Slide, etc.
Bumping this to ask, is Uintas and Mirror Lake ok to travel and hike to this time of year? Heading to Park City this weekend.
Old Nov 13, 19, 8:40 am

Programs: Handcuffed to Delta and IHG by Concur
Originally Posted by JTE458 View Post
Bumping this to ask, is Uintas and Mirror Lake ok to travel and hike to this time of year? Heading to Park City this weekend.
UDOT closes several high mountain roads each winter, and the Mirror Lake Highway (Highway 150) is one of those. It is still open right now UDOT TRAFFIC but will close any day now. Only if you are VERY experienced at backcountry hiking in winter conditions (such as knowing how to use snowshoes, having an emergency shelter with you, survival food, locator beacon, etc.) should you attempt to hike in the mountains at this time of year. For the benefit of other readers, once the highway closes, there may be ski mobile rental businesses open at the point where the highway is closed. Some people ride the snowmobiles up to the lake, I believe. (When I googled "Mirror Lake" and "snowmobile rental" there were several display ads from providers.)

FWIW, I grew up in Kamas, which is the town located at the Utah end of the Mirror Lake Highway. (Evanston is the town at the Wyoming end.)

ETA: I have looked at the weather forecast and it seems good at present. Thus, if you have your heart set on it, I recommend calling the Kamas Ranger Station on this Friday for their advice about driving and hiking and if they are okay with it, then proceed cautiously. https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/uwcn...ea/?recid=8983
Still have food and blankets with you in the car and supplies with you in your backpack for a sudden change in the conditions. This could be the LAST weekend that I would be okay with trying this.

Last edited by amanuensis; Nov 13, 19 at 9:02 am
Old Nov 13, 19, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by amanuensis View Post
UDOT closes several high mountain roads each winter, and the Mirror Lake Highway (Highway 150) is one of those. It is still open right now UDOT TRAFFIC but will close any day now. Only if you are VERY experienced at backcountry hiking in winter conditions (such as knowing how to use snowshoes, having an emergency shelter with you, survival food, locator beacon, etc.) should you attempt to hike in the mountains at this time of year. For the benefit of other readers, once the highway closes, there may be ski mobile rental businesses open at the point where the highway is closed. Some people ride the snowmobiles up to the lake, I believe. (When I googled "Mirror Lake" and "snowmobile rental" there were several display ads from providers.)

FWIW, I grew up in the town Kamas, which is the town located at the Utah end of the Mirror Lake Highway. (Evanston is the town at the Wyoming end.)

ETA: I have looked at the weather forecast and it seems good at present. Thus, if you have your heart set on it, I recommend calling the Kamas Ranger Station on this Friday for their advice about driving and hiking and if they are okay with it, then proceed cautiously. https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/uwcn...ea/?recid=8983
Still have food and blankets with you in the car and supplies with you in your backpack for a sudden change in the conditions. This could be the LAST weekend that I would be okay with trying this.
Thanks for the info. We were only considering it since the weather seems fairly decent still. Not sure how much snow/ice is up there already though. And also, by "hike" it would only have been short walks, nothing of substance/climbing but if we go, will probably just drive up and back.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: