Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Help planning fully guided tour to Grand Canyon?

Old Mar 9, 16, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (1.7MM), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat

A close family friend wants to celebrate their 20 year wedding anniversary by visiting the Grand Canyon this May. However, the husband had a stroke a few years back and as such is a bit limited in endurance. I'd like to help them by finding arrangements that are totally guided - Someone to pick then up at the airport to take to hotel, someone to pick them up from hotel, drive to grand canyon then wait for x hours there before driving them back to hotel, and then someone to take them back to airport.

Catch is, I'm unfamiliar with the Grand Canyon options. They would not enjoy Vegas or the drive from there so I'm looking for closer locations to stay. If there is some place where they can do canyon 1 day, local exploring 1 day, and 1 day enjoying nice hotel grounds, that would be ideal.

Can anyone help with suggestions/contacts? If there are flight options on American or United that would help as they have miles on both.

Thanks!
Old Mar 10, 16, 5:56 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
I'd recommend flying into Flagstaff (FLG) if they want to limit driving. American has a major hub in Phoenix with six flights a day to FLG. It's about a 1.5 hour drive Flagstaff-Grand Canyon, and 3-3.5 hours Phoenix-Grand Canyon.

Flagstaff has numerous hotel options, and would also make a good base if they would also like to visit Sedona. Flagstaff is a nice town by itself, too.

Tusayan, AZ is a small town right outside the south entrance that caters to tourists and park employees. There are hotels and basic stores, restaurants, etc catering to tourists. There's also hotels inside the park such as El Tovar, but they may already be booked up for May.

There are several shuttle companies that make trips to the Grand Canyon from Flagstaff and Phoenix. Just Google something like "Flagstaff Grand Canyon shuttle" or "Flagstaff Grand Canyon tours". Arizona Shuttle is the one I see most often. I'm pretty sure Pink Jeep Tours offers trips up there, too. With your friend's medical condition, you'll probably want to call a few if he requires any special assistance. The Park offers a free shuttle bus system to all the major south rim attractions. It operates very similar to a city bus network.

Last edited by Lost; Mar 10, 16 at 6:09 am
Old Mar 10, 16, 10:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
What's the budget?

If there is no limit, there are flights to the Grand Canyon airport, pickup, and being driven around much of the South Rim.

Additionally there are scenic helicopter and airplane trips over the canyon.

Take a look here, and perhaps you'll find something that works:
http://www.papillon.com/
Old Mar 10, 16, 7:34 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
You can use AA to fly I to flagstaff. From there you can take shuttles yo the south rim of the Grand Canyon IR rent a car and drive ( 90 min)

At the south tim there are many patk lodges you can stay at. Just outside the south entrance still Ztusysn there is a best western snd holiday inn express.

The park has 4 shuttle bus routes. One route connects the holiday inn express snd bestwestern into the park, another shuttle does the western part ( west of the lodges) , another shuttle does the lodges and the close view points, then another does the east of the lodges. The Far East view points are not accessible by shuttle.

Another option us you can fly into Vegas and from Vegas you can fly a plane t( not a helicopter) o the south rim of the Grand Canyon.

Near flagstaff you have other things to see ( Sedona).

Another option they could see other parks in Zion and Bryce Canyon and do a driving loop.
Old Mar 17, 16, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (1.7MM), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat
The budget isn't bare-bones, but also probably not enough to cover a helicopter tour. The couple would not enjoy Vegas, its just not for them.

It's looking like Flagstaff is a good option. Now guess I need to find out transport options for a private driver to take them to canyon.

Search this Thread