Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Hotel recommndations for Grand Canyon

Hotel recommndations for Grand Canyon

Old Aug 8, 2020, 3:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
It seems like the best hotels for redeeming points and being closest to the park are the Holiday Inn Express and Suites Grand Canyon Village and the Best Western. Any other options that are less than an hour's drive from the entrance where you can redeem hotel points besides these two? Williams has a few chains, but I believe that Grand Canyon Village is closer. Was hoping to redeem Hilton, Marriott, or Hyatt points. Thanks!
What are your plans while at the Grand Canyon?

If you want to redeem points, I'd recommend Flagstaff. It is a proper town, there are real shops there (Target, Sam's Club, Walmart, supermarkets, etc.). There are some fantastic restaurants; though I'm not sure what their operations are like in the current environment.

However, there is nothing quite like waking up and walking straight to a viewing point and watching the sun rise over the canyon. Or watch it set before you walk back to your room. The lodges in the park are overpriced and are mostly not nearly as nice nor as modern, but they certainly have location going for them.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 2:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I have a choice between Kachina Lodge with no view and the Thunderbird with partial view for about $70 more. We are arriving first day at around 2PM and will stay one night then leave late the next afternoon (so will check out around 10AM I suppose). Everyone says how amazing it is to look right out of your room window to see the canyon, but realistically how valuable is that? Bc we will be outside looking at it during hikes, wondering how much we will need the room view. In general, I like to pay extra for such things as a balcony or an ocean front room, but since we only have one night I don't know how beneficial this will be. Thanks for advice. Trip is late June.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 2:29 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I have a choice between Kachina Lodge with no view and the Thunderbird with partial view for about $70 more. We are arriving first day at around 2PM and will stay one night then leave late the next afternoon (so will check out around 10AM I suppose). Everyone says how amazing it is to look right out of your room window to see the canyon, but realistically how valuable is that? Bc we will be outside looking at it during hikes, wondering how much we will need the room view. In general, I like to pay extra for such things as a balcony or an ocean front room, but since we only have one night I don't know how beneficial this will be. Thanks for advice. Trip is late June.
beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

personally I’d just take the cheaper room. You are paying fir a partial view which likely is nothing.

the lodging is not at the rims edge but set back
Old Mar 15, 2022, 3:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by djp98374
beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

personally Id just take the cheaper room. You are paying fir a partial view which likely is nothing.

the lodging is not at the rims edge but set back
That's what I kind of figured, esp the part about the partial view not being much. THanks for the input!
Old Mar 21, 2022, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
As Tanic notes, the closest place outside the national park is Tusayan. The next closest town is Williams, followed by Flagstaff.
Even from Grand Canyon Village, Cameron is a little closer than Williams. From the Desert View (East) entrance, much closer.

The Grand Canyon Motel at Cameron Trading Post is rustic charming. The rooms are individually decorated with hand-carved headboards and vigas.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I did like the Cameron Trading post ( nice dining room ) when stopping on a tour from Sedona via Sunset crater and wupatki

The ceiling of the dining room

Gorge beside Cameron trading post

Gorge beside Cameron trading post

Regards

TBS

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.