FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   West (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west-456/)
-   -   Colorado Springs hotel with large, indoor swimming pool (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west/1742469-colorado-springs-hotel-large-indoor-swimming-pool.html)

pseudoswede Jan 28, 2016 1:15 pm

Colorado Springs hotel with large, indoor swimming pool

I am helping organize and participate in an event at the Olympic Training Center over Valentine's Day weekend (in two weeks). Rather than try to make the daily commute back and forth from home (since I'll be there from 7am to who knows how late every day), I'm contemplating the idea of bringing my family down for a quasi-staycation.

When my family is not at said-event, I'd like for my kids to enjoy an indoor swimming pool at the hotel. I have stayed at a Days Inn Air Force Academy and the Fairfield Inn in the past (team hotel for gymnastics meets), and those pools were tiny.

http://cache.marriott.com/propertyim...hototour27.jpg
(Fairfield Inn's pool)

Two hotels on my short list are Cheyenne Mountain Resort and The Antlers*. I'm going to assume that both hotels will have pools larger than the one above, right? I'm currently leaning towards The Antlers due to it's proximity to the US OTC. Are there any other hotels near downtown COS that I should consider?

* - I'm not a hotel snob by any means. The cheaper, the better. Always. That said, we're staying at the Broadmoor next weekend for the Pikes Peak Cup--I couldn't pass up a $195/night superior room. :D

Thanks in advance.

DenverBrian Jan 28, 2016 1:41 pm

Marriott, Embassy Suites and Doubletree all appear to have indoor pools much larger than the FFI.

pseudoswede Jan 28, 2016 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian (Post 26096646)
Marriott, Embassy Suites and Doubletree all appear to have indoor pools much larger than the FFI.

8, 9, and 5 miles away from downtown. I guess I should've tightened up my definition of "near", since those distances represent 9-15% of one-way distance I'm trying not to drive everyday. :D

Doubletree looks nice, but it's almost $50/night more expensive than The Antlers. I may swing for the Marriott since I need a stay to keep my points account active.

DenverBrian Jan 28, 2016 2:10 pm

I would think the folks at the Olympic Training Center itself have probably been asked this question before and likely know exactly which large, indoor hotel pools are nearby.

P.S. My God, you are high maintenance. :D :D :D

Within 2 miles of the Olympic Training Center I see a lot of no-names, one Holiday Inn Express, the Antlers...and the Clarion, whose pool may meet your criteria. Look at that one.

pseudoswede Jan 28, 2016 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian (Post 26096786)
I would think the folks at the Olympic Training Center itself have probably been asked this question before and likely know exactly which large, indoor hotel pools are nearby.

The majority of the participants (well, the national team members) of this event are actually staying at the OTC. Something like $110 per person per night, and it includes three meals a day. I wonder if you also get access to the Olympic pool there.

I'm not high maintenance. My kids are. :D :D :D

pseudoswede Jan 30, 2016 10:19 am

Got a nice rate for a 1-bedroom suite at the Marriott with breakfast included. :)

pseudoswede Feb 16, 2016 2:16 pm

Quality Suites in downtown COS is peculiar. You can get room with 2 queen beds, a sofa bed, and two bathrooms. The price is reasonable, it was only 7 minutes from the OTC, and the free breakfast was not bad; and the pool is large, and the kids had fun. :)

Baby Swede: "This room has a balcony! Just like at the Broadmoor!" :D

cblaisd Feb 16, 2016 2:38 pm

It's also peculiar in that it shares a building with a Clarion Hotel.

And while it's an area that is VERY slowly gentrifying, it's not an area I would want to walk at night.

But they do have good prices much of the time.