Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Tukwila Amtrak Station to SeaTac Airport

Old Jan 7, 16, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage, and HHonors

Me and a couple of friends are planning a cross country train trip from Newark Penn Station and I have never been to Washington or Newark what is the best way to get from Tukwila Station to SeaTac Airport. We are from Texas. We woul be getting into Tukwila at around 2:25pm and have a 12:15am flight to DFW and from there to Waco,TX. What would be the best option to get from the station to SeaTac? While waiting for the flight is there anything fun to do near the airport?
Old Jan 7, 16, 11:29 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by xxwerftxx View Post
Me and a couple of friends are planning a cross country train trip from Newark Penn Station and I have never been to Washington or Newark what is the best way to get from Tukwila Station to SeaTac Airport. We are from Texas. We woul be getting into Tukwila at around 2:25pm and have a 12:15am flight to DFW and from there to Waco,TX. What would be the best option to get from the station to SeaTac? While waiting for the flight is there anything fun to do near the airport?
I would get off at the Seattle station instead and just hang out in Seattle. Then, the light rail is an easy option to the airport when you're eady to go....

FDW
Old Jan 7, 16, 12:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
As this query is specific to a particular destination/geography, we'll move this to the West forum, which houses Washington state discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Jan 7, 16, 2:26 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu View Post
I would get off at the Seattle station instead and just hang out in Seattle. Then, the light rail is an easy option to the airport when you're eady to go....

FDW
Looks like you're taking the Amtrak Cascades train south from Seattle in order to arrive at Tukwila at 2:25 PM.

Don't.

King Street Station in Seattle has bag storage (assuming you're arriving there) and you'd have gobs of time to explore the city - Pike Place Market, waterfront/ferries, Space Needle, whatever. Then the Link Light rail, which leaves from a station next door to King Street, will get you to the airport in 30 min, and runs until 1 AM or so. The Tukwila station is in the middle of nowhere, with no facilities. You'd need to take a cab to the airport.

http://m.soundtransit.org/schedules
Old Jan 7, 16, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
Looks like you're taking the Amtrak Cascades train south from Seattle in order to arrive at Tukwila at 2:25 PM.

Don't.

King Street Station in Seattle has bag storage (assuming you're arriving there) and you'd have gobs of time to explore the city - Pike Place Market, waterfront/ferries, Space Needle, whatever. Then the Link Light rail, which leaves from a station next door to King Street, will get you to the airport in 30 min, and runs until 1 AM or so. The Tukwila station is in the middle of nowhere, with no facilities. You'd need to take a cab to the airport.

http://m.soundtransit.org/schedules
I would be getting off at Tukwilla. We also have multiple stops like Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Portland. Also if the trains happen to run late and i happen to miss the flight would the airline re book on another flight. I don't know how this would work out.
Old Jan 8, 16, 11:00 am

Programs: AS
Nothing to see here

I recommend changing your train tickets to get off at King Street in Seattle as noted above but if you insist...

Tukwila is not a traveller destination. There is a big shopping mall with tons of other retail stores surrounding it (Macys, Applebees, etc). Tukwila also has the training grounds for the local soccer team, Seattle Sounders FC, which will take you all of 60 minutes at most to walk through. Otherwise, the city is composed of a large amount of industrial/warehouses & really exists because it's the location where two major freeways & the state highway to the airport come together.

Its not very walkable & (iirc) you will need to cab most places, including from the train station/to the airport.
Old Jan 8, 16, 1:16 pm

2019 Secret Santa

I would be getting off at Tukwilla. We also have multiple stops like Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Portland. Also if the trains happen to run late and i happen to miss the flight would the airline re book on another flight. I don't know how this would work out.
they'll rebook you for a change fee and the difference in fare, sure. I agree with the others that you should get off at King Street, as there's actually stuff to do in downtown Seattle and SeaTac/Tukwila are generally devoid of things to do, especially with the time you have between your arrival and departure. If you really want to arrive at Tukwila, you can take the light rail from there to downtown Seattle as well.
Old Jan 8, 16, 2:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
I don't even think it's an issue of getting off Amtrak in Seattle instead of Tukwila - the 2:24 PM arrival into Tukwila starts from Seattle-King Street, it is not a continuation of any cross-country route. Don't even bother boarding that train in the first place. The station in Tukwila is just a platform and a parking lot in the middle of nowhere.

You can technically make it from Tukwila Amtrak to the airport with local buses (line F west to Tukwila International Boulevard Station - not the same as Tukwila (Amtrak) Station - then line A south to 176th St.), but it will be far less hassle and almost certainly faster to just take the one-seat ride on the light rail from International District Station, one block east of Seattle/King Street, to the airport. 31 minutes travel time and $3.00 fare.
Old Jan 8, 16, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
I don't even think it's an issue of getting off Amtrak in Seattle instead of Tukwila - the 2:24 PM arrival into Tukwila starts from Seattle-King Street, it is not a continuation of any cross-country route. Don't even bother boarding that train in the first place. The station in Tukwila is just a platform and a parking lot in the middle of nowhere.

You can technically make it from Tukwila Amtrak to the airport with local buses (line F west to Tukwila International Boulevard Station - not the same as Tukwila (Amtrak) Station - then line A south to 176th St.), but it will be far less hassle and almost certainly faster to just take the one-seat ride on the light rail from International District Station, one block east of Seattle/King Street, to the airport. 31 minutes travel time and $3.00 fare.
Thank you all for the info. I think i will just book it to King Street Station. Does the Empire Builder and Capitol Limited Service to tend to run on time? Now the route since going into King Street Station is Newark Airport(EWR)- Washington - Chicago - Seattle

Last edited by xxwerftxx; Jan 8, 16 at 8:52 pm
Old Jan 9, 16, 8:58 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Thank you all for the info. I think i will just book it to King Street Station. Does the Empire Builder and Capitol Limited Service to tend to run on time? Now the route since going into King Street Station is Newark Airport(EWR)- Washington - Chicago - Seattle
https://www.amtrak.com/historical-on-time-performance
Old Jan 13, 16, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Does the Empire Builder and Capitol Limited Service to tend to run on time?
I live in Edmonds, just north of Seattle, which is the last station stop for the Empire Builder before it pulls into Seattle. The rail line runs along the waterfront, so everyone sees what's passing through. It's not uncommon to see the Seattle-bound Empire Builder pull in running four to eight hours late.
Old Jan 14, 16, 9:41 pm

Programs: DL plt, HH dia, MR Plat, CC con, at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Dukes Chowder House at Southcenter Mall between TUK and SEA is legitimately good seafood if you do end up taking that route.

Last edited by aroundtheworld76; Jan 14, 16 at 11:13 pm

Search this Thread