Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Antelope Canyon in Arizona

Antelope Canyon in Arizona

Old Jun 30, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by DELee
Info on America the Beautiful passes: https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm
Purchase from USGS: https://store.usgs.gov/pass

David
Many thanks, David.

Ed.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Info on America the Beautiful passes: https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm
Purchase from USGS: https://store.usgs.gov/pass

David
There’s no advantage to purchasing them online IMO. Just buy at the entrance station of the first park you visit with an entrance fee.
darthbimmer likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by TedToToe
I found this post particularly informative and have two follow up questions:
1) Are the Upper and Lower canyons different enough in their own right, such that you would consider it a 'must' to visit both?
Upper has the more iconic "views". Lower is more of an adventure as the gradient is steeper and lots of walkways/stairs IIRC (none for upper). I'd say upper if you only have time to do one. Best time for upper is 11-13h when the sun is overhead so you can do lower before or after.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 11:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Upper has the more iconic "views". Lower is more of an adventure as the gradient is steeper and lots of walkways/stairs IIRC (none for upper). I'd say upper if you only have time to do one. Best time for upper is 11-13h when the sun is overhead so you can do lower before or after.
Many thanks! We have a lot to cram in, so will probably just go with the Upper.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:26 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles, Flying Blue
Info on America the Beautiful passes:
Purchase from USGS:

David
Correct me if I'm wrong. I will be able to buy this pass at the entrance of any park? Is the price still the same?
Old Aug 7, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by DenysK
Correct me if I'm wrong. I will be able to buy this pass at the entrance of any park? Is the price still the same?
Yes, and it’s $80 either way. (In fact I think they charge shipping if you buy it online, which they don’t charge at the park.)
Old Aug 7, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The price is still $80 but you can only buy them at manned entrances. A few months ago I entered Death Valley on a road with nothing but a machine that could only sell the short term passes. However, later that day I stopped by the station near the center of the park and traded my short term pass ($30) and $50 cash for a one-year card. (IIRC you have one week to do this, you can trade any in any collection of park receipts for their value towards the annual card.)

Note that if you are 62+ and a citizen/permanent resident you get a different card. Still $80 but it doesn't expire.
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 8:50 am

It's definitely doable, just look up when are the tours to lower and upper Antelope and plan your time exactly. Remember that if you're going during the high season, there might be traffic walking on a tour
Old Aug 12, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
you can buy this from anywhere that sells them. Some places may be out of stock. You buy a day admission then roll it over to when you get somewhere that has them buy saving receipts

these can be bought st
national parks
nstionsl monuments
national historic sites
nstionsl battlefields
fish snd wildlife sites
nstionsl forest aread
nationsl seashores
national recreation areas

Thus doesn’t cover
Native American parks like antelope and mon valley. Some places on tative lands are covered like canyon de Chelly.
State parks

Old Aug 12, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
my life time pass was $10.00 long time ago, best $10.00 investment ever, now $80.00 Lifetime Senior Pass
Old Aug 12, 2019, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by satman40
my life time pass was $10.00 long time ago, best $10.00 investment ever, now $80.00 Lifetime Senior Pass
The price went up in late August of 2017. We went on a trip with my wife’s parents about a week before the change, so they got one at the $10.00 rate.
satman40 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 1:22 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Originally Posted by strickerj
The price went up in late August of 2017. We went on a trip with my wife’s parents about a week before the change, so they got one at the $10.00 rate.
They let the whole car in anyhow,
Old Aug 13, 2019, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by satman40

They let the whole car in anyhow,
Indeed, so of course we use it when they’re with us.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by djp98374
Some places on tative lands are covered like canyon de Chelly.
There is no entrance fee at Canyon de Chelly. However, except for a limited number of ranger-guided hikes one must hire a licensed Navajo guide (or tour operator) for trips inside the canyon other than the White House trail.
Old Aug 16, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Did lower Antelope this spring.....although the crowds have arrived, still found it to be very interesting and a cool adventure....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.