Wiki Posts
Search

Light rail service to DEN starts April 2016

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2016, 6:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Per the Denver Post, ridership on the A line is lower than expected--10-40% lower.
It'll take while for word to get out to out of towners, and Denverites may wait a bit to make sure the bugs are out of the system.
Old May 5, 2016, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
I am looking forward to using the train on Tuesday. I recently got my badge so I can start working at the airport. I did find out that my $9 fare is good for the entire day on the system. So I can go to/from the airport for the same $9. That will make it easier to afford when I go once a week. Though I still have an employee parking pass, it might be worth the price of a train ticket once in a while.
And that's the whole system, right, anywhere light rail goes? My dad is arguing with me about it.
Old May 5, 2016, 8:36 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
And that's the whole system, right, anywhere light rail goes? My dad is arguing with me about it.
$9 day-pass for entire Denver RTD system, including all other rail and buses.
Old May 6, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
There are two $9 products: a $9 one way "airport zone" ticket on the A Line or Sky Ride Bus, and the $9 RTD Day Pass which includes all vehicles in all zones.
Old May 7, 2016, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Definitely get the $9 ($4.50 over age 65) Regional Day Pass which includes any trips on Denver light rail and buses till close of the system at about 2:30 am.

Checked out the connection today. It's about a one block walk from the light rail to Union Station where the Airport train leaves. Escalators go down close to the light rail and up right where you get on the Airport train, or you can walk in the open. The airport train cars are roomy, but as noted the overhead racks are strangely small (?), not sure if a regular roll aboard would be really secure. There are other luggage storage racks near the doors for bigger bags.

A decent price if you're going somewhere distant in the system.
Old May 18, 2016, 4:10 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Meanwhile, the trains are still having some "glitches". I can't imagine being on a train to go somewhere, have it stop and then have driver come on the intercom to say it might be an hour before it goes again. That would sour me on taking the train. It does look like most of the issues are closer to the downtown area.

http://www.9news.com/travel/rtd-resp...ints/200320089
Old May 24, 2016, 5:12 pm

And the glitches keep happening. 3rd time in a week.

http://www.9news.com/traffic/power-l...lace/213817870

Edited to add: It got even worse this afternoon when a broke cable stopped the train short of the airport. They had to evacuate 80 people that were stranded.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...er-denver-fire

Last edited by HawaiiTrvlr; May 24, 2016 at 8:21 pm
Old May 28, 2016, 3:20 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Definitely get the $9 ($4.50 over age 65) Regional Day Pass which includes any trips on Denver light rail and buses till close of the system at about 2:30 am.
Yep. Below is an example of one from the ticket machine. I was staying out at the airport hotels on Tower Rd for several days earlier this month so was very nice to get downtown/elsewhere from there (via shuttle to/from DEN). RTD had armed security guards riding the train and checking fares twice each way on the full Airport-Downtown route. Don't skip the ticket! There's also a Walmart near one of the stops in the middle for a better selection of groceries and sundries than the 7 Eleven or hotel shops.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 10, 2016, 12:56 pm

Took the train for the first time today, though for only one stop. Parked my car at the 61st Ave parking lot off tower since I saw they aren't charging for parking yet. I can see why! The parking lot is there but the access right now is only via a winding dirt road. I followed a big construction truck in.

There are lights installed but no security cameras as far as I can tell. Maybe that's up to whatever operator DIA chooses for the lot.

There was a transit officer on the train checking fares. He scrutinized my Ecopass very closely but was finally satisfied the person in the picture really was me. Phew. Train ride was comfortable and no issues to report. I thought it was 5 minutes late but it turned out my Transit app had the schedule wrong, right on time.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by maskedmesothorium
There was a transit officer on the train checking fares. He scrutinized my Ecopass very closely but was finally satisfied the person in the picture really was me. Phew. Train ride was comfortable and no issues to report. I thought it was 5 minutes late but it turned out my Transit app had the schedule wrong, right on time.
I am surprised they look so closely. I took it on Tue (there and back from Central Park Station) and the transit barely glanced in my direction. The only attention he truly checked out was the person that had to dig in their purse or bag for their transit ticket.

I really like the convenience of the train but it still has issues. Just on Thursday they had another delay near the 61st and Pena Station.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:45 am

The fare us now $10.50 ...that covers all RTD Denver Train, Light Rail, and busses. $5.25 system-wide if you do not touch DEN Airport.

I've ridden the A line a few hundred times in the 33 months it has been in operation.

There have been a few local news pieces about the Federal Government threatening to shut the train down because nobody seems to know how to operate a crossing (as if trains haven't been commonplace for OVER ONE HUNDRED YEARS).
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
https://www.denverpost.com/2018/12/1...l-g-line-plan/

Wow. I haven't rode the A Line in a year and a half. Sounds like the flaggers are still present at all of the crossings?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
https://www.denverpost.com/2018/12/1...l-g-line-plan/

Wow. I haven't rode the A Line in a year and a half. Sounds like the flaggers are still present at all of the crossings?
Absolutely, they're still present. I see them at most grade crossings (not Quebec Street in the Stapleton Central Park area).

I usually take it to/from Union or Stapleton Central Park. Sometimes 61st Pena.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:19 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
The fare us now $10.50 ...that covers all RTD Denver Train, Light Rail, and busses.
Ouch a 17% fare hike from last week. How far will that get me on the B Line?
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
Been using this monthly on business travel for the last year or so. I'm a big fan . It beats dealing with DIA taxi and Uber drivers and I haven't experienced any delays .When the weather's nice is a pleasant walk from the 16th Street Mall area to Union station even at 3am for a 5am flight .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.