Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Light rail service to DEN starts April 2016

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2016, 7:44 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Stapleton and Lowry folks should be able to hop the train at Central Park, so that might make sense. Any farther east and you might as well drive to/from DIA anyway.

$9 each way, but then a big question will be daily parking fees at the park-and-rides.
I am one of those Stapleton/Lowry people. I can't wait to use it (though truthfully I only fly once or so a year now).
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Originally Posted by dimramon
I wonder if this line will be as much of a success as a lot of the other lines, which mostly go out empty.

Public transportation in Denver is an expensive, chaotic disaster.
Cite?

RTD ridership is approx 340,000 a day. (rtd-denver.com)

Anecdotally, I ride the light rail several times a month when I'm at APA. It's not a perfect system, but it'll get you there, often faster than sitting in traffic.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by dimramon
I wonder if this line will be as much of a success as a lot of the other lines, which mostly go out empty.

Public transportation in Denver is an expensive, chaotic disaster.
My experience in Denver was that the highways were a chaotic disaster. I look forward to using the new rail service this September.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive Club, Asia Miles
Look forward to using it on a long layover

I have a long (10 hour) layover in Denver on a trip in May. Look forward to using this to get out of the airport. Last year another trip had a flight canceled and a subsequent 8 hour layover in Denver and decided against using the bus - rail is generally much more reliable.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
I have a trip booked for 4/23-4/24 and hope to be among the first riders of the new line. This better be open on time (4/22)!
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Originally Posted by nineworldseries
I have a trip booked for 4/23-4/24 and hope to be among the first riders of the new line. This better be open on time (4/22)!
I'm invited to the April 22 ceremony by the Mayor's office.

I'll try to make it. I'm currently on a long-term project in Denver.

BTW, the train was running last Wednesday during the blizzard.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Disappointed they couldn't have hit a 4/20 launch date.

I mean...Denver...
Old Apr 5, 2016, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
No worries about not opening on time. The line opens at at 10am with a ceremony at DIA. The train is free from noon-9pm on that day. Here is a bonus for you on the 23rd. The entire RTD train system is free including the A line from the airport to Union Station. So you will only have to pay for your return fare on the 24th.

I plan to ride it out to the airport on Friday at noon and then back to Union Station. On Saturday, I plan to ride the system on a few routes I haven't been on yet.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
I plan to ride it out to the airport on Friday at noon and then back to Union Station. On Saturday, I plan to ride the system on a few routes I haven't been on yet.
I had planned on working from home on the 22nd, but maybe a ride to/from the airport would be fun. My work is about a 18-minute walk from Union Station.
Old Apr 15, 2016, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I had planned on working from home on the 22nd, but maybe a ride to/from the airport would be fun. My work is about a 18-minute walk from Union Station.
I think I will try it from Stapleton to DIA and then to downtown. On Saturday, I might take it downtown and then try the W line to Golden.

The airport line is free Friday, 22 Apr. The entire light rail system is free on Saturday, 23 Apr (buses are not free). Plus there are partys at each of the stations (though the 60th and Pena stop looked like it still needs work).
Old Apr 22, 2016, 8:56 am

I'm at the airport now. There's a large stage set up outside the Westin for Gov. Hick et al.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 12:27 pm

So, I'm on board, en route from DIA. It has that new train smell!

Seating is 2x3 (think MD-80). Overhead storage seems easy to use (for items like a backpack). There are luggage racks, but doesn't seem like nearly enough.

I'm 6'4 and have 2" space in front of my knees.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 8:05 pm

So here is my train report. I caught the very first (free) train at noon at the Central Park Station. To me it seemed like there were about 1 RTD person for each passenger at all the stations, directing people and answering questions. It was worse at the airport. We arrived at the airport 20 mins later. It was smooth ride and went pretty quickly between stations. Arriving at the airport, throngs of people on the platform (again mostly RTD employees directing people). On the platform level, there is a bag drop/check in and boarding pass kiosks (not all airlines served). But it would be convenient to drop your bags off there and go right to the TSA checkpoint.

Coming up the escalator, there was a huge stage (with live music) and some informational booths (think free pens, schedules and such). There was a cash bar next to the Westin where you could buy an adult beverage, mingle around, listen to music and collect luggage tags and pens. I wandered around the airport for a bit before I decided to catch the train downtown. There was a a bit of a line but I think everyone got on the train. It was more crowded going downtown so I stood for most of the trip. I forgot to time the trip but I guess it was close to the 37 minutes they advertise. However, once we rolled into Union Station, there was a HUGE line to board. It probably went a block or more and several hundred people. I decided to stay on the train vs getting off and walking around downtown like I planned.

I agree with other comments that the luggage racks are pretty small. There are places for bicycles as well. Fares are $9 each way. I think one of the local news stations said it was close to the top tier for fares vs comparable cities (comparing airport transit systems). Another news story said RTD's anticipation of 18,000 daily users is a bit optimistic.

Tomorrow, the system is free (along with light rail). There are station parties from 10am - 2pm. I plan to bike down to Central Park Station, wander around a bit and then take the train downtown (if it isn't too crowded).
Old Apr 23, 2016, 4:26 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Good report....

It does baffle me as to why there was no stop created in the midst of the Tower Road airport hotels. I would have thought that would be a real asset.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Good report....

It does baffle me as to why there was no stop created in the midst of the Tower Road airport hotels. I would have thought that would be a real asset.
There is a stop at 61st and Pena (last stop before DIA) where there will be more commercial development. There will be a huge Gaylord Hotel property going in nearby. Right now, Panasonic is putting in some sort of commercial building. Right now, it isn't too far from Tower Rd and their existing hotels.

I rode the train again today and it was significantly more crowded. I am going out shortly and plan to take it downtown to get some dinner and walk around a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.