Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

I have 3 Sedona reservations - please help me choose

Old Mar 20, 15, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

I don't normally do this, but I don't know Sedona at all. I've never visited. I will be traveling with my college-bound daughter in a couple of weeks and we are traveling from Vegas to Sedona to Scottsdale to Tuscon via car. Apparently, this is an awfully expensive time of year to travel to this area.

I need to decide on a hotel in Sedona. Our interests are sightseeing, a little hiking (nothing cray), views, poolside lounging, good meals (she is vegetarian, I'm not), a little light shopping/boutiques.

I have 3 reseravtions:

1. L'Auberge - a spa cottage room at $480 nt (we'd have to sleep together in a king). This is so pricey and seems more romantic than anything else. It might not be right for a mom/daughter stay. But is it worth it for other reasons?

2. Amara - a studio suite for $439 nt (I cant tell if it is a suite or a studio - the description doesn't make sense) We like to sofa bed idea and like it even more if the sofa bed is in a separate room). Rooms like nice but the grounds? Eh? Pool?

3. Hilton poolview/golfview for $369 nt - I'm a pretty loyal Hilton memeber and have a small suite resrved...nothing fancy but it does give us two rooms (king +sofa bed). I can't tell how dated this hotel is. It looks a little dated in the photos.

Obviously, I'm not going for cheap...but I am not a millionaire and I always want to save a few $$, but also like to enjoy myself and stay well. We only have 2 nights in Sedona.

What would you suggest? Thanks so much!
Old Mar 21, 15, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi bluwater,

You will love Sedona.

Both L'Auberge and Amara are in Sedona itself and very close to Downtown Sedona and Oak Creek so there are a lot of boutique shops nearby with good hikes nearby. Tlaquepaque ( www.tlaq.com) has a lot of shops in an mexican village style and is close to downtown sedona.

The Hilton is not in Sedona itself but is in the Village of Oak Creek ( about 6 miles south of Sedona itself - an easy drive but you could have traffic). There are some good hikes nearby ie around Bell Rock and Courthouse butte at the north end of Oak Creek ( around 30mins walk from the hilton along the paved sidewalks or you could drive and park in the parking area)

The Hilton is very nice with good views and a good size pool and fitness ares. The Village Oak Creek has a few restaurants.

The hilton has probably the best pool but L'auberge and Amara may have the Oak creek experience and you can walk to Downtown sedona. The photos from googling suggest both have reasonable pools ( nothing fancy)

I would also look at the Pink Jeep tours to take you into the red rocks and the Sedona trolley to take you on a short tour of sedona ( including the chapel of the holy cross).

I have stayed at the Hilton and enjoyed it with walks around Bell rock and taking the pink jeep tours but for a first time visitor I would probably go for either L'Aubergre or Amara ( no personal experience though)

Enjoy.

Regards

TBS

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Mar 21, 15 at 4:06 am
Old Mar 21, 15, 5:25 am

I would stay in town if possible
Old Mar 25, 15, 8:21 am

Programs: Virtuoso
L'Auberge is a Virtuoso property, so you could get amenities with it to make it a great value (and better than the others). I haven't been to Sedona myself, although I have friends who have went and rave about it. Have a great trip with your daughter!
Old Mar 26, 15, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*A Gold, WN A+ CP, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Gold
When I've visited Sedona I've stayed up the hill in Flagstaff. The drive down & back up through the canyon is pretty enough that I've never minded spending the extra time on it. Flagstaff is a "chain motel near the interstate" type of town, though; a very different vibe from "boutique lodge in an arty small town" like Sedona. The former's generally fine with me as the latter often gives me hives.
Old Mar 28, 15, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
I agree with darthbimmer, unless the hotel you choose IS your destination, stay in Flag and make the 30 minute drive to Sedona.

For hiking, check out the Coconino National Forest website (http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/coconino/recreation/hiking/?recid=54884&actid=50). Definitely make time for two or three hikes. The scenery is so much better when you get out in the forest. For lighter hikes, I'd recommend Doe Mountain, Boynton Canyon, and the West Fork Trail (this one requires a separate parking fee outside of the Red Rock pass. The trail also has several shallow water crossings).

Most of the Sedona area trailheads require a Red Rock pass for a small fee, available from self pay stations at major trailheads and the ranger station on highway 179 about one mile south of The Village of Oak Creek.
Old Mar 30, 15, 11:54 am
B1

You should consider staying in Cottonwood if convenience and value are important. It's a short drive and part of the real world. In the winter, Flagstaff is subject to snow storms but is great in the summer. I got stuck in a place in Sedona that is mainly aimed at doing timeshare pitches that last forever. Don't go to those things.
Old Apr 24, 15, 5:54 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
I've been to Sedona several times and would HIGHLY recommend Enchantment Resort. Amazing. L'auberge is definitely more of a romantic/couples destination place. There are also some very nice properties through airbnb.com. Getting around Sedona is very easy, very good restaurants, hiking, massages, and interesting crystal/spiritual stuff. You'll have a great time no matter where you stay!
Old Apr 26, 15, 5:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by JumboJet View Post
I would stay in town if possible
Can you elaborate more?

I've been to Sedona countless times, mostly just for daytrips. Heck, flew up once CHD-SED for breakfast (now that's a great way to see Sedona!)

Only stayed in the area once, at the Hilton resort, which as others noted isn't in Sedona proper but out in Oak Creek Village.
I found the Hilton a great option to the crowds of, "downtown," Sedona. It isn't big, but whenever I've been traffic always seems a mess, parking can be a challenge.
(I have stayed in Flag many times and wouldn't recommend that if you want to focus on Sedona).

Anyway, there are some awesome views of Bell Rock from the Hilton. If you work out, they have an awesome fitness center with a 25m lap pool, along with the play pools at the hotel proper.

If you like to run, there's some awesome areas, again right from the hotel. I ran down the main drag (toward the I-17), but took the first little road up a hill (toward Cornville I think), and pretty much just ran that out/back.

There's a small shopping center walking distance from the Hilton with a few restaurants. Actually, there's a very healthy thread on the Hilton Sedona over in the HHonors forum here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...spa-us-az.html

Search this Thread