Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

Ski areas with flexible lift tiket options?

Old Jan 3, 15, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,

I'm an all-day, all-mountain skier, but my girlfriend is not. She's advanced beyond the bunny slope, but still skis mostly greens and the occasional gentler blue. She's also happy skiing a couple of runs in the morning, maybe one more in the afternoon, and spending the rest of the day enjoying her hot chocolate by the fire in the lodge or condo.

This made it pretty painful shelling out $100+/day for her multi-day lift tickets at Breckenridge last year. And with Vail gobbling up more and more resorts, discounts are getting harder to find. So I'm wondering what other mountains might offer more reasonable options for her.

For example, Solitude offers a 10-ride ticket that can be used across multiple days (and would last her two or three days). They also offer a "beginner" ticket that's valid not just for the bunny slope but also for the next lift up that serves a half dozen longer green and easy blue runs. Either of these options would be great for her.

Besides Solitude, what other mountains might have options like these?

I'm posting in the USA-West forum, but also open to California or Western Canada.
Old Jan 3, 15, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Would she be game for skiing on just afternoon lift tickets? That may be a cheaper propostion at some places, and as the weather may be a bit warmer in the afternoons, the willingness to ski more then might be greater than in the morning.
Old Jan 3, 15, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Mt Bachelor offers an afternoon (noon-4) ticket valid only on the Sunrise lift for $32. That might be something you look into as the lift offers some blue terrain, instead of just the bunny hill.

Loveland, CO and Stevens Pass, WA offer tickets that are valid for any four consecutive hours.

Look at some of the mid sized places instead of the biggest, most well known resorts. I'd also look for stay and ski packages.

Many ski areas are starting to adopt the model of offering lower priced season passes, then compensating by raising the price on regular day tickets. (As I was looking around I saw Squaw/Alpine regular day pass for $119! ) I buy a season pass for a resort up in Tahoe every year even though I live 700 miles away, just because I know I'm going to go enough to make it worth it. The problem is it really discourages new riders from getting into the sport.

OT: There's reasons why 'Vail' is a four letter word!
Old Jan 3, 15, 3:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Look at Alta. I believe they have both a all day beginner area lift ticket as well as a half day afternoon ticket. Alta is one of my favorite places to ski. No snowboarders, just no-frills skiing.
Old Jan 3, 15, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
The Loveland ticket is good value and it's a great little local resort. When I was living in Summit County, it was my go-to resort. Very laid back. With that said, it is not on the shuttle bus route like the rest of the summit county resorts so will have to have a car and drive there.

There is plenty of beginner/intermediate terrain as well as plenty of expert terrain.
Old Jan 5, 15, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
A flexible 4-hour ticket would probably work. I'm not sure she'd like a morning or afternoon half day, as she seems to prefer midday, with a couple of runs before and after lunch.

I've skied Loveland a few times myself and liked it (at least when the sun was out and the wind not howling), but the minimal and Spartan base area and lack adjacent lodging probably rules it out for our trip together. I couldn't ask her to wait around at that base area for hours while I kept skiing.
Old Jan 5, 15, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Jackson Hole offers a beginner lift ticket ($30) for two lifts with greens and blues.
http://www.jacksonhole.com/lift-tickets.html
Old Feb 20, 15, 9:18 am

Location: AA Gold/Million Miler,DL dirt,UAPlat/Million Miler;Honnors Diamond,Marriott Gold;Avis Preferred,Hertz Prez Circle, Nat'l Exec Elite
It sounds like you like to ski a lot of different areas so maybe the epic pass might interest you. If you don't ski on the holidays (Xmas,MLK,Prz Day) the local version runs all season for I think 550$ which gets you Keystone Breck,Vail, Park City, Canyons, Heavenly and others in Midwest. The nice feature is it has 6 ski-with-a-friend tickets that can be used at any of these-these get you about I'd say a 25-30% discount over walkup prices(Yesterday at Breck that's $149!). The enrollment period I think is over for this season but for next year you might consider this by April. It also can be used at some resorts for lift access during summer months for mntain biking/hiking. www.snow.com
Old Oct 11, 15, 11:12 pm

Alta and Whitefish Montana. Alta is free in the afternoons after three for beginners. Great snow. You may have to drive to the ski resort as there may not be as many onsite/slopeside lodgings.

Search this Thread