I-15 washed out N of Las Vegas, S of St. George, UT - 8 September 2014

Old Sep 8, 14, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM

...in case anyone has plans involving travel on this route:

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/264772...l+Headlines%29

Nevada Department of Transportation said the freeway will be closed for three to four days. According to Utah Department of Transportation, I-15 is closed just outside of St. George.

According to Clark County Fire officials, the southbound lanes of I-15 at mile marker 92 have been completely washed out. The National Weather Service referred to the flooding as "life-threatening." Moapa, which is 50 miles north of Las Vegas, received more than three inches of rain in an hour.
There are virtually no alternate routes in this area, so this could be a very big mess for trucking, tourism and general travel.
Old Sep 9, 14, 9:29 am

Hoping it's cleared up by this weekend. Was planning on heading to Zion for a few days from Las Vegas.
Old Sep 9, 14, 11:35 am

Programs: Handcuffed to Delta and IHG by Concur
It is unclear to me at this point exactly where the closure on the south end of I-15 is at, but before I-15 was constructed, traffic went on US-91. That road still exists (although it is now a county road in poor shape, and not appropriate for large trucks).

It runs from Beaver Dam, Arizona to St. George looping west of I-15.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_91#Arizona
Perhaps it will help.
Old Sep 9, 14, 11:44 am

Programs: Handcuffed to Delta and IHG by Concur
Never mind. I-15 is impassable at TWO places, including at the Muddy River at Moapa, NV. That is too far south for the Old Highway 91 detour to be of help at this point.

Southbound lanes of Interstate 15 were reopened to traffic Tuesday morning, though the highway remains closed south of Mesquite in both directions between Apex and Mesquite in Nevada because of damage caused by Monday night's rainstorm and ongoing storms.

The southbound lanes of I-15 had been closed between St. George and Littlefield through the Virgin River Gorge because of waterfalls and rock slides, although northbound lanes were open. Southbound motorists were using Old Highway 91 to get south to Mesquite.

Hundreds of motorists were left stranded or stuck overnight, with some hunkering down to wait but many turning back. Officials in Nevada had anticipated it could be three or four days before they were able to reopen I-15 to through traffic.

Authorities asked motorists to stay home and off the roadways where possible as more rain and flash floods were hitting the area again this morning.
http://www.thespectrum.com/story/new...mage/15327703/

For those needing to get to Vegas from Salt Lake, flying definitely looks like the best option. If you have to drive, Utah State Route 56 and Nevada highway 319 from Cedar City, UT to US 93 looks like the best option. US 93 rejoins I-15 just north of Las Vegas. I am unsure if this is a route that large trucks should attempt.

Last edited by amanuensis; Sep 9, 14 at 12:10 pm Reason: Correcting my suggested detour routing
Old Sep 9, 14, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

More details today...this really does isolate Vegas from points north:

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/tr...las-vegas-utah

The trip between Las Vegas and St. George, Utah — that used to cover 120 miles and take about two hours on I-15 — now involves a long detour into Lincoln County that has more than doubled the length of the trek.

A spokeswoman for the Nevada Department of Transportation said traffic is moving slowly along the detour route, which diverts northbound I-15 traffic from Las Vegas onto U.S. Highway 93 and north from there all the way to the town of Panaca, where state Route 319 leads east to to the state line and becomes Utah Route 56. To get to St. George from there, motorists are being told to turn south from 56 onto Utah Route 18.

That detour is more than 260 miles long, and because of the heavy traffic, NDOT is declining to guess how long the drive might take.

Transportation officials expect I-15 to remain closed for several days between the Valley of Fire State Park exit, 50 miles northeast of Las Vegas, to Mesquite.
Old Sep 10, 14, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Looks like they were able to set up a relatively short detour through Valley of Fire State Park (very pretty!)...it's the green route on this map. Gold is for trucks.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/vi...4.kry9K4epC2ic
Old Sep 12, 14, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Per a NevadaDOT Facebook post that was just put up, they anticipate having the freeway open by this evening.

Search this Thread