FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   West (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west-456/)
-   -   Where to stay, Glendale/Scottsdale/Phoenix for Superbowl 2015 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west/1541279-where-stay-glendale-scottsdale-phoenix-superbowl-2015-a.html)

mileshound Jan 13, 2014 6:31 pm

Where to stay, Glendale/Scottsdale/Phoenix for Superbowl 2015

I like to plan way ahead. In another month or so hotel award space will open up for the Superbowl in Glendale in 2015. I like to go even if I don't go to the game and even if my team is not in it.

I have never been to Arizona so I have no idea which city to stay in. This is my impressions so far.

Glendale is close to the stadium but there is not much nightlife. There is the 1 mall from what I can tell.

Scottsdale and Phoenix have more to offer but not sure about the atmosphere. The NFL experience will be in Phoenix but I doubt I will go to it. How is the Scottsdale nightlife?

I would prefer a place with a good nightlife and where you do not need a car. Based on past availability I most likely will stay at a IHG property.

Any advice is appreciated.

SWCPHX Jan 13, 2014 8:30 pm

Since the Montelucia is now an Omni, I would go with either the Indigo in old town Scottsdale or the HIX in old town Scottsdale.

Glendale does have the entertainment area immediately around the stadiums though.

You will need a car.

djp98374 Jan 13, 2014 10:58 pm

PHX is a large area. Hotels will have rooms blocked and entire hotels blocked for booking when this perios opens up and hotel will have inflate prices just because they know the super bowl.

Seeing that you are marriott customer there are a couple of marriotts right near the stadium within walking distance. Those are going to be blocked up for bookings over the super bowl. Those places are going to be held by the NFL for NFL officials, Press, corporate sponsers, teams , etc.

You will need a car to get around in PHX.

mileshound Jan 14, 2014 5:05 am

I have booked hotels for the last several superbowls on points and it seems that IHG hotels always have a few rooms. I got the Intercontinental in New Orleans last year 10 months in advance and it was used by CBS sports.

Yes many hotels have blocks and Marriotts seem to never have any rooms on points. IHG has been the opposite. It may be the IHG requirement to have a set # of rooms available for points, almost no matter what.

What about the light rail? If I stay in Scottsdale will I be able to be used at night to get to places? We would use the car during the day but prefer to not have to drive at night.

SWCPHX Jan 14, 2014 5:42 am

If staying in Scottsdale you would have to take a bus (route 72 most likely) to connect to a light rail stop in Tempe. From there you could take the light rail to the downtown PHX area but it doesn't run anywhere near Glendale.

mileshound Jan 14, 2014 3:59 pm

I don't care about being close to the stadium. I most likly will not be going to the game. I prefer to be closer to a town with more nightlife, preferably one where you can walk from establishment to establishment or an easy cab ride to concentrations of places.

Glendale looked like it had one entertainment complex and that was in walking distance to multiple hotels. Is there a "downtown" Scottsdale or Phoenix that would have good nightlife?

Right now I am trying to get my location preference set. Then once rooms are released I can jump on what is available. From my past history of the last 3 years, there are award rooms to be had, if you act early.

Thanks

SWCPHX Jan 14, 2014 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by mileshound (Post 22154943)
I don't care about being close to the stadium. I most likly will not be going to the game. I prefer to be closer to a town with more nightlife, preferably one where you can walk from establishment to establishment or an easy cab ride to concentrations of places.

Glendale looked like it had one entertainment complex and that was in walking distance to multiple hotels. Is there a "downtown" Scottsdale or Phoenix that would have good nightlife?

Right now I am trying to get my location preference set. Then once rooms are released I can jump on what is available. From my past history of the last 3 years, there are award rooms to be had, if you act early.

Thanks

Old Town Scottsdale would probably fit your needs.

ldsant Jan 14, 2014 10:15 pm

I agree with others - I visit Phoenix every month for a week and you definitely need a car - they have sprawl big time. I would agree that Old Town Scottsdale will work best for you or downtown Phoenix - I really like the Hotel Palomar in Phoenix.

Wilbur Jan 15, 2014 10:04 am

Originally Posted by mileshound (Post 22154943)

Glendale looked like it had one entertainment complex and that was in walking distance to multiple hotels. Is there a "downtown" Scottsdale or Phoenix that would have good nightlife...

From your requirements, I recommend that you look for a place in one of these locations, in descending order of likely interest.

Old Town Scottsdale
Kierland area of Scottsdale
Mill Avenue in Tempe

The light rail will be useless for your purposes - it doesn't go anywhere that will interest you.

You will need a rental car. Nobody Walks in L.A., and getting around the Valley of the Sun is an automotive activity.

djp98374 Jan 15, 2014 12:18 pm

Olde town Scottsdale would be good.

I would also guess the area around Arizona State would also be walkable as well.

aztimm Jan 17, 2014 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Wilbur (Post 22159655)
From your requirements, I recommend that you look for a place in one of these locations, in descending order of likely interest.

Old Town Scottsdale
Kierland area of Scottsdale
Mill Avenue in Tempe

The light rail will be useless for your purposes - it doesn't go anywhere that will interest you.

You will need a rental car. Nobody Walks in L.A., and getting around the Valley of the Sun is an automotive activity.

I mostly agree with the locations, but would favor either Mill Ave in Tempe or downtown Phoenix, as either is workable with the light rail.

From what I remember, for the last couple of superbowls here, there was quite a bit of activity on/near Mill Ave in Tempe, Tempe Town Lake, and at Sun Devil Stadium (where ASU plays).

The light rail goes from the Mesa border (roughly Dobson/Main) all the way up past downtown Phoenix. There is a stop (Priest/Washington) for the zoo/botanical gardens, but it is either a healthy 15 min walk, or a transfer to bus (the bus is typically waiting there for the trains to stop).

If there is a Suns basketball game, the dowtown area could be lively. But it has really changed over the past few years, with more and more conventions that downtown does actually have some nightlife, at least during the week.
Chase Field, where the Diamondbacks play, has tours, and the AZ Science Center is also downtown. The Heard museum is a quick ride on the light rail north of downtown.

There are a few hotels within walking distance to the 44th St/Washington light rail station (I think most call this, "airport north,") which could also work in a pinch. There's a Crown Plaza right there, along with a handful nearby. From here you could walk to the Chinese Cultural Center, roughly at 44th St/Van Buren (or hop on the rail).

I live out in Chandler, near CHD, and even hotels out there sell out for the superbowl, so definitely book as soon as you can. It is about an hour drive from there to the stadium in Glendale.

mileshound Jan 18, 2014 12:58 pm

Thanks everyone.

Considering your suggesions and looking at maps I think I will be targetting the Hotel Indigo in Old Town Scottsdale. It looks like I can get to a lot of places with a 5-15 minute walk.

I will have a car but at night prefer to walk/cab it in case I want to really enjoy myself with no worries.

skitch23 Jan 21, 2014 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by mileshound (Post 22178681)
I will have a car but at night prefer to walk/cab it in case I want to really enjoy myself with no worries.

That's an excellent plan. Cops are always on the lookout for drunk drivers here... even more so during holidays and special events. And nobody wants to spend their vacation in the slammer ;) There is plenty to see and do on foot in Old Town... they also have lots of pedicabs that are usually pretty cheap.

IIRC the chocolate festival in Glendale is also during Superbowl weekend. It's kinda cool if you like chocolate covered everything but its also kinda pricey.

missydarlin Jan 24, 2014 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by mileshound (Post 22178681)
Thanks everyone.

Considering your suggesions and looking at maps I think I will be targetting the Hotel Indigo in Old Town Scottsdale. It looks like I can get to a lot of places with a 5-15 minute walk.

I liked the Indigo Scottsdale ... except for when they turned on the pool side music (the pool was directly below my room) at 830 in the morning. So if you're not a morning person, ask for a room that doesnt face the pool :)

IIRC there is also a Hyatt Place and a W within walking distance of the Indigo.

mileshound Jan 25, 2014 10:42 am

Thanks for the input. I also have been looking at downtown Phoenix. There is a hyatt (no lounge) and a Sheraton (good lounge) and a HIX. From a points persepective, it may be a good use of points for the HIX and still get breakfast.

Phoenix looks like it has more bars (hard rock, hooters, sports bars) vs. Old Town which has more clubs. We are older and more relaxed so downtown may be better. We are not the clubbing type, plus I'd be in bed by the time they start rocking.