Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > West
Reload this Page >

National Parks around Vegas over Thanksgiving

Old Aug 25, 2013, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

So we're going to be in the Las Vegas area for 9 days over Thanksgiving (Sat->Sun). The main purpose of the trip was to go to Death Valley but nine days is a little much, so we were wondering where else we could go. (We're not going to waste time in the city itself.)

My research suggested the following spots might have decent weather at this time of the year in addition to Death Valley:

Mojave National Preserve
Joshua Tree
Zion (sort of on the cold side)

I was thinking 4 days in Death Valley, 2 in Joshua Tree and 2 in Zion but am open to feedback.

We'll be skipping Bryce because it looks pretty cold/snowy at that time of the year. We've never driven on snow/ice and don't want to make this a first time. I've been to Yosemite before and I think we'll skip that too on this trip because the Tioga Pass will be closed. It's a bit far anyway...

So few questions:

1. How many days should we spend at Death Valley? I figure at least 3, but was wondering if we should do more. We would like to see the whole park (not every sq. mile obviously but the roads driveable in a normal car) and do a few day hikes. Any thoughts on Stovepipe vs Panamint will be appreciated as well. (We already have reservations at both for the whole week that we can adjust.)

2. Is Mojave National Preserve worth seeing? If so, how many days? Just drive through? Would this be as impressive after Death Valley?)

3. Same questions for Joshua Tree - how many days? If the weather and scenery are decent, we'd like to do one or two nice day hikes? How does Joshua Tree compare to Death Valley?

4. Is it a good time for Zion? Should we do 2 days or more?

5. I suspect Kings Canyon & Sequoia will also be cold and will have the possibility of snow?

6. Is it worth it to go up to Mono Lake and/or does the closure of the Tioga Pass nix it?

7. We've been to the Grand Canyon so will skip that but if anyone thinks that substituting some of the AZ or UT parks for Joshua Tree and Mojave after Death Valley will be better, we're open to suggestions. (The primary considerations are weather and proximity to LAS, and quality of scenery is a close second.)

Thanks!
Old Aug 30, 2013, 9:06 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
You have a lot of questions. Have you tried searching in this forum and the California forum? You'll find lots of recommendations about Death Valley, Joshua Tree, Mojave, Mono Lake, Tioga Pass, etc.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 10:00 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by abcx
So we're going to be in the Las Vegas area for 9 days over Thanksgiving (Sat->Sun). The main purpose of the trip was to go to Death Valley but nine days is a little much, so we were wondering where else we could go. (We're not going to waste time in the city itself.)

My research suggested the following spots might have decent weather at this time of the year in addition to Death Valley:

Mojave National Preserve
Joshua Tree
Zion (sort of on the cold side)

I was thinking 4 days in Death Valley, 2 in Joshua Tree and 2 in Zion but am open to feedback.

We'll be skipping Bryce because it looks pretty cold/snowy at that time of the year. We've never driven on snow/ice and don't want to make this a first time. I've been to Yosemite before and I think we'll skip that too on this trip because the Tioga Pass will be closed. It's a bit far anyway...

Tioga Pass could be open or closed at the end of November. http://www.monobasinresearch.org/data/tiogapass.htm Zion and Bryce have similar weather and temps.
So few questions:

1. How many days should we spend at Death Valley? I figure at least 3, but was wondering if we should do more. We would like to see the whole park (not every sq. mile obviously but the roads driveable in a normal car) and do a few day hikes. Any thoughts on Stovepipe vs Panamint will be appreciated as well. (We already have reservations at both for the whole week that we can adjust.)

I would look at 3days/4 nights in death valley. I would look to do 2 nights at each

2. Is Mojave National Preserve worth seeing? If so, how many days? Just drive through? Would this be as impressive after Death Valley?)

This is just my opinion on Majave---not worth more than a drive through.

3. Same questions for Joshua Tree - how many days? If the weather and scenery are decent, we'd like to do one or two nice day hikes? How does Joshua Tree compare to Death Valley?

Joshua Tree---I would do a 3 night 2 day trip there. The places are different. The big difference is in the trees that name the park.

4. Is it a good time for Zion? Should we do 2 days or more?

Its winter time there in Zion. You can access the Valley but its cold thus you cant explore the Virgin river Canyon like you could do in the summer and wade in the water. The Valley can be done in a 1 day trip

5. I suspect Kings Canyon & Sequoia will also be cold and will have the possibility of snow?

It depends on where inthe park. Altitude matters big time. I think its doable in late november. Higher elevations will be colder and snow covered. Generals highway is open year round but may be temporarily closed due to weather and then subsequent plowing. Other roads close in the winter.

6. Is it worth it to go up to Mono Lake and/or does the closure of the Tioga Pass nix it?

You can get to Mono Lake via 395 but to get to the other side of the mountains you either have to drive back or drive up to US 50 or I-80 to cross the mountains.

7. We've been to the Grand Canyon so will skip that but if anyone thinks that substituting some of the AZ or UT parks for Joshua Tree and Mojave after Death Valley will be better, we're open to suggestions. (The primary considerations are weather and proximity to LAS, and quality of scenery is a close second.)

Grans Canyon is still pretty even in the winter. You can get unique pictures with snow cover. The park isnt driven by things like leaves on trees. Same with Bryce. Part of the beauty in zion Canyon are the trees that grow that dont have leaves on them in November.

Thanks!
I posted in blue above......

If you do death Valley you could drive up and do a night at Manmoth Mountain area anexplore the area in the early AM hours when the sun is behind you.

You drive to the other side in California and see Yosemite Valley in the winter time. Its still pretty then.

Other parks you could see ......

Pinnacles NP, Carrizo Plain National Monument, Channel Islands NP in California.

In November its a good time to explore southern Arizona.....Organ Pipe NM, Sonoran NM, and Saguaro NP
Old Aug 31, 2013, 7:42 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by djp98374
If you do death Valley
A few years ago, I did the Titus Canyon drive from Las Vegas/Beatty NV into Death Valley as suggested by this poster, and it remains one of the highlights of my many western road trips.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:07 pm

Great Basin NP (Nevada's sole national park) is worth seeing. Pipe Spring NM is good for a half day.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:27 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by amanuensis
Great Basin NP (Nevada's sole national park) is worth seeing.
Concur. But it might strain the definition of "around Vegas" (per the OP's thread title) since it's a 300 mile one-way drive. (It amuses me that there is an exit sign for the park on I-15, even though it's 275 miles-ish from that exit!

Pipe Spring NM is good for a half day.
Concur. Red Rocks canyon or Mt. Charleston would also be nice 1/2 day trips.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 12:41 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Concur. But it might strain the definition of "around Vegas" (per the OP's thread title) since it's a 300 mile one-way drive. (It amuses me that there is an exit sign for the park on I-15, even though it's 275 miles-ish from that exit!
That sign makes perfect sense since US 93 is the shortest path to Great Basin.

I'v seen some other rather far signs for national parks off main highways
Old Sep 8, 2013, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by djp98374
That sign makes perfect sense since US 93 is the shortest path to Great Basin.

I'v seen some other rather far signs for national parks off main highways
The shortest path is to start by flying into SLC, not LAS.
Old Sep 8, 2013, 9:00 am

Programs: DL PM
I'll give a +1 to red rocks as well for some day hiking.

I spent March 1 at Zion this year--yes it was technically winter, but the weather was perfect for hiking with highs in the low 60s. A couple areas were closed due to falling ice--including part of the Emerald Pools area--but I think it was worth the drive up since although not everything was open, it was not very crowded either.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.